Gun control and how the US stacks up : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Gun control and how the US stacks up

Found this little gem. Some good statistics

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...-of-the-world/

Quote:
Here’s how U.S. gun violence compares with the rest of the world
By Olga Khazan, Published: DECEMBER 14, 4:02 PM ET
Aa
In the wake of Friday’s deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, Conn., gun-control advocates have taken to social media to call for more stringent firearm restrictions.

I am ashamed to be an American today. I am ashamed that I did not protect the children of my country. We and @whitehouse must #enditnow

-- Naomi Hart (@naomihart) December 14, 2012

The United States has notoriously liberal gun control laws, and it has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world — an average of 88 per 100 people, according to a 2007 Small Arms Survey.

These maps, put together by the Guardian’s Simon Rogers, reveal how we compare with the world:

Gun ownership rate. (Screenshot: The Guardian)

But countries with the most guns don’t necessarily have the most gun-related homicides. The world’s crime figures come from the UNODC annual crime survey, and while it does not include key nations, such as Russia, China and Afghanistan, it does include most other developed countries.

Homicides by firearm per 100,000 people. Screenshot: The Guardian

The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.

When a person kills another in the United States, though, he or she generally uses a gun: 60 percent of U.S. homicides occur using a firearm, which is the 26th-highest rate in the world. (In other gun-permeated countries, such as Finland (45.3 guns per person), only about 19 percent of homicides involve a firearm.

Guns don’t always kill people, it seems, but they certainly play a role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
gun control dont mean shit. gun control=drug control
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
XFelon
Gilmour

Bikes: 2004 R1
If anybody thinks that a law banning all guns tomorrow will work - I have a bridge for sale. It's time to arm and teach the school secretary, librarian and teachers to use a weapon to protect our kids like the Israelis do in their schools where there are NO school massacres like here. A locked glass door and hiding are not the way to protect our kids or anyone. Also, parents need to get a brain and not let their weapons be so easily obtained by their mentally deranged kids, brother, sister and so on and so on. GET REAL! I feel so bad for those kids, teachers and families. I can't remember feeling this sad in my life.

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol

Pain is weakness leaving the body
XFelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Rex1585
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2000 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFelon View Post
I can't remember feeling this sad in my life.
I have actually lost sleep over something like this for the first time in 11 years. Shit just ain't right.
Rex1585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
well then it may really disturb you that im taking my 4 yr old an 7 yr old shooting tomorrow, my girl, 7, does real well with a .357
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
mr_get_iton
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 01 R1(long gone) 05 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss55539 View Post
well then it may really disturb you that im taking my 4 yr old an 7 yr old shooting tomorrow, my girl, 7, does real well with a .357
I definitely find that disturbing! MORE GUN CONTROL
mr_get_iton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

The point was made that the media puts these sick A-holes on a pedestal and people think it's a new high score or something.

The safest way to protect the schools is set them up to be ready for a terrorist attack.

Also, I'll share a disturbing story with you.

Friday, December 14th, at 2:10pm I was scheduled to go to Gotha Middle School in Windermere Fl. Yes the same city all the rich people live like tiger woods and so on. Gotha middle had added a green house to their ag department, and my company installed a gas heater inside the house. My job was to install an automatic safety shutoff and start up the unit for safety checking.

Now the crazy part. I get to the school, kids are outside running the track and all that for recess. I pull up, walk onto the campus, make my way to the green house, install and safety check, walk all the way across the property to turn the gas meter on (easily 500ft away) walk all the way back to the green house. The walks I made were in between buildings and portables. After I started up the greenhouse I had to certify the appliances in the schools kitchen and the water heaters, along with the swamp coolers on the roof. All of my tasks ended up taking just over two hours. When I started everyone was in class, when I finished school had ended and all the kids were walking home/to the bus.

Not once was I stopped by an adult and asked what I was doing. I entered the kitchen without issue. The cooks never hesitated to ask who I was. I had to walk up to someone and introduce myself. I was able to acess the roof hatch, which had no lock. The entire time i was there I was messing with flammable material, and not a single person acknowledge my existence.

I had direct acess to the kids when they were leaving home (hundreds of kids), to their food in the kitchen, to the natural gas that supplied the entire school, and to a tactical spot on the roof. Never was accounted for and never required to check in. I have a badge that is required by Florida law that we have to obtain to be on any school grounds in the state, but I purposely left it in my truck to see what would happen.

This story is 100% true. Tell me what's wrong with that situation....

Ps: I stopped a school official before I left and let them know everything that happened, and sent an email to the school Friday night addressing their atrocious school security.

Last edited by Gearheaded; 12-16-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
The point was made that the media puts these sick A-holes on a pedestal and people think it's a new high score or something.

The safest way to protect the schools is set them up to be ready for a terrorist attack.

Also, I'll share a disturbing story with you.

Friday, December 14th, at 2:10pm I was scheduled to go to Gotha Middle School in Windermere Fl. Yes the same city all the rich people live like tiger woods and so on. Gotha middle had added a green house to their ag department, and my company installed a gas heater inside the house. My job was to install an automatic safety shutoff and start up the unit for safety checking.

Now the crazy part. I get to the school, kids are outside running the track and all that for recess. I pull up, walk onto the campus, make my way to the green house, install and safety check, walk all the way across the property to turn the gas meter on (easily 500ft away) walk all the way back to the green house. The walks I made were in between buildings and portables. After I started up the greenhouse I had to certify the appliances in the schools kitchen and the water heaters, along with the swamp coolers on the roof. All of my tasks ended up taking just over two hours. When I started everyone was in class, when I finished school had ended and all the kids were walking home/to the bus.

Not once was I stopped by an adult and asked what I was doing. I entered the kitchen without issue. The cooks never hesitated to ask who I was. I had to walk up to someone and introduce myself. I was able to acess the roof hatch, which had no lock. The entire time i was there I was messing with flammable material, and not a single person acknowledge my existence.

I had direct acess to the kids when they were leaving home (hundreds of kids), to their food in the kitchen, to the natural gas that supplied the entire school, and to a tactical spot on the roof. Never was accounted for and never required to check in. I have a badge that is required by Florida law that we have to obtain to be on any school grounds in the state, but I purposely left it in my truck to see what would happen.

This story is 100% true. Tell me what's wrong with that situation....

Ps: I stopped a school official before I left and let them know everything that happened, and sent an email to the school Friday night addressing their atrocious school security.
I do the same thing about once a week. Some schools I go in know me personally because I'm their alarm/fire guy and they see me all the time. Some just see my truck or uniform and I go on my way. I've NEVER been asked to show ID and been told to wait while they call my company to see if I'm supposed to be there.

I usually check in with engineering and the office anyway just in case I set the alarm off but they'd never notice if I didn't.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

From now on when I enter a school, I'll never carry my security badge on me where it's visible. I want people to ask for it.

The school faculty is responsible for the safety of our kids, and no one is doing their god damn job.

That's what's wrong with this school shooting issue. How many faculty members did this dick bag walk by and never once was stopped and asked who he was. I bet people seen a stranger walking by and never said anything.

It shouldn't take a fvcking tragedy to make people use awareness!!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
MaRce1o
Track time :flex:

Bikes: Red RN19, SV650(sold), 07 GSXR600, XR50
Just like inked said. Security might had helped, but it wouldn't had done shit in this case, especially because if there was a guard or any security personnel in the school chances are very good that they would not have a firearm

CCS AM #171

2014 NE Middleweight SuperSport Champion

Sponsored by:
-J&G Performance 781-871-1404
-DanQ Suspensions
-Dunlop
-Vortex
-Race Tech Suspensions
-Fast Life Cycles
-Twizz Designs

What's the right tire for YOUR bike?
MaRce1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
JDollaz
Rebel w/ a Cause

+1 on the issue of mentally Ill people obtaining these firearms and ammo that should be locked up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss55539 View Post
Right on Bro.. can't wait till mines Of age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_get_iton View Post
I definitely find that disturbing! MORE GUN CONTROL
Stfu .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
That's what's wrong with this school shooting issue. How many faculty members did this dick bag walk by and never once was stopped and asked who he was. I bet people seen a stranger walking by and never said anything.

It shouldn't take a fvcking tragedy to make people use awareness!!
Did you get an email response back from them? If so please share here.

Sig Provided by : The Artist formerly know as Petrol !
JDollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Phunkzilla
Black on Black

Bikes: 04 R1
a good video for thought
Phunkzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

No response yet. I'm sure It won't be read until monday

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
lobsterhound

Bikes: 03 600rr, 02 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkzilla View Post
Anyone with a brain is aware of the consequences of a gun ban. Undoubtedly there are a bunch of idiots who feel banning them will make things safer. However, the major push to ban guns is just another liberal attempt to gain as much power as possible. Much like obamacare which has nothing to do with healthcare. For 1/100th the cost of obamacare the US could buy insurance from private companies for all 40 million or so uninsured that want it. It is just a way to control every single aspect of someones life. Now the move to disarm which ensures no way to fight back. Its almost as if the forefathers saw this coming huh?

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -G. Washington
lobsterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedR1Pilot View Post
everyone knew this kid... his mother worked at the school... it was someone they recognized.... security wouldnt have helped a damn bit... not when its someone you know
From what I've read this morning, the mom has never had any affiliation with the school other than being the mother of the killer, who did attend that school as a kid.

I mentioned in the other thread that my kids go to a school where a student murdered another student a couple years ago, and now that the admins have all responded with improved policies and plans I can still walk in the school at any time during the day and do the same thing that happened in Conn. They've improved nothing. The big issue here is very basic: The State/gov't does not provide any security at schools, yet they prohibit the people there from providing their own. This issue, I would imagine, is accelerating towards being concluded at the Supreme Court. It needs to get there faster. It is obvious that politicians and bureaucrats are incapable of handling it with any form of competency. There is a fallacy among these idiots that there is some catch-all legislation that will stop this. There is not. There never will be. There will ALWAYS be somebody with a will to do evil. All you can do is identify it if you can, act on it to prevent it, or limit the severity when it happens. A quarter and banning guns will get you a phone call, IF you make it to the phone.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

That video is awesome, thanks for posting it..

What's your take on it knackers??

Once again Kmac is spot on. The only thing I disagree with you is your hate towards GM

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkzilla View Post
This needs to be broadcasted on the "news" , won't happen but it should. My g/f will post this to facebook, I'm curious as to the responses she'll get. Maybe some will "wake up and smell the coffee", Thanks for posting this !
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
WarMachine
INSTIGATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

Bikes: 2003 R1 SPECIAL EDITION
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
This needs to be broadcasted on the "news" , won't happen but it should. My g/f will post this to facebook, I'm curious as to the responses she'll get. Maybe some will "wake up and smell the coffee", Thanks for posting this !
I posted it to fb as well

GHOSTRIDER SQUADRON XO
sig courtesy of UNCLE PETROL

"It is inconceivable that the framers - seeking to provide Americans with a means to resist tyrannical government - would fashion a right that can be exercised only in the context of a militia that is under government control." Robet A. Levy

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM]
WarMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Posting it at well

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
InkedR1Pilot
my girlfriend likes girls

Bikes: Vman1300's 05 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
From what I've read this morning, the mom has never had any affiliation with the school other than being the mother of the killer, who did attend that school as a kid.
shit man i think youre right... deleted

sig by petrol

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
RAMPAGE RACING

InkedR1Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement