Thinking about Buying an R1 this Spring, Anything to look out for? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Thinking about Buying an R1 this Spring, Anything to look out for?

Been riding over 2 years now.

Have an SV650S and an R6 Track bike

I want sell the SV to move to a 1000CC bike and I do really like the R6, so an R1 road bike should be to my liking

Originally I wanted to buy an RC8R but the one I want is just way out of my price range plus they are Very Rare (Not many people selling in Ireland, none in fact)

However, I am hearing horror stories though from a couple of people on the newer R1's
Big End going on the Big Bang Models and Valves popping into the engine on the earlier ones.

Is there any truth to this or is it just bad luck

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards
G.
grahambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1, 2011 Yamaha R1, traded in 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000R, sold 2006 CBR 600RR
i havent owned an R1 for that long but i havent heard that at all... i have a 2012 and 2011 R1.

i would personally check to make sure that the plastics are 100% oem, then the next thing i would check is the travel distance of the handle bars as that has always told me if the bike has been laid down or not (meaning if the clip ons come closer to the frame/gas tank than the other side)

i also check the tires with perspective to the milage, like the guy before i bought my 2011 said that the bike only had 5k miles but it needed new tires and he already had aftermarket tires! it doesnt add up since i know bald near like tires dont get like that with just 5k miles.

R1 was a great move for me, coming from my 600rr to my RSV1000 to the R1 was an easy transition! good luck with your purchase and dont let crazy
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Thanks for your reply

Perhaps it's just in the UK and Ireland (Fuel?)
we have RON95 ONLY in Ireland
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Don't sell the SV. I came from a 05 SV650N and regret selling it. I should have kept it for a commuter.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee

Last edited by IMSTuner; 01-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTuner View Post
Don't sell the SV. I came from a 05 SV650N and regret selling it. I should have kept it for a commuter.
Well I'm sure as hell not selling my Track Bike!
Love that thing!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
I've read on this forum a few threads that mentioned the 07's had some valve / valve guide problems but haven't heard any of that talk regarding the new motors or any motor before 07.

cyclepsycho7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
never heard of the 09+ r1 having any issues besides the CCT clatter and the headlight acting like a magnifying glass on the black portion of the headlight buckets. CCT is fixed under warranty and affected 09's and maybe first half of 10 models.
headlight issue was fixed under warranty...but didnt really fix the issue at all..and its nothing major..at least to me anyways.
ive got just under 20K miles on my 09 and have had no issues engine wise at all. my cct was replaced at 4K and has not clattered since

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Dans07R1
Blades are for pussies

Bikes: 07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by playero_loko View Post
i havent owned an R1 for that long but i havent heard that at all... i have a 2012 and 2011 R1.

i would personally check to make sure that the plastics are 100% oem, then the next thing i would check is the travel distance of the handle bars as that has always told me if the bike has been laid down or not (meaning if the clip ons come closer to the frame/gas tank than the other side)

i also check the tires with perspective to the milage, like the guy before i bought my 2011 said that the bike only had 5k miles but it needed new tires and he already had aftermarket tires! it doesnt add up since i know bald near like tires dont get like that with just 5k miles.

R1 was a great move for me, coming from my 600rr to my RSV1000 to the R1 was an easy transition! good luck with your purchase and dont let crazy
My back tyre was gone with 2500 miles on it, all road riding and thats all I get out of a tyre, no burn outs and I can't stunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
I've read on this forum a few threads that mentioned the 07's had some valve / valve guide problems but haven't heard any of that talk regarding the new motors or any motor before 07.
I've an 07 R1 and it has 14k on the clock with absolutely no issues and I wouldn't trade it for any bike.

I'm from Ireland and the best value R1s are the ones from 04-08 all priced well and all the bike you'll ever need. I've never heard of any of my buddies having any problems with any of the R1s they've owned, the things you need to check are the same as you'd need to check on any powerful bike, crash damage, wheel bearings for play(wheelies tend to hit down hard while you practice), if it has a paint job ask why?, check the clutch to see if its slipping, listen out for knocks in the engine, etc... There are plenty out there so if you don't like the look r sound of a bike I'd walk away, don't rush into buying a bike just to have 1.
Dans07R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
look out for trucks, buses and walls other than that its fun time lol
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
BeaverPuncher
Frosty runs are the best

Bikes: Want a new bike
Susucki's

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
BeaverPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Rehab99
Same day, different $#!t

Bikes: 09 Matte Grey R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
never heard of the 09+ r1 having any issues besides the CCT clatter and the headlight acting like a magnifying glass on the black portion of the headlight buckets. CCT is fixed under warranty and affected 09's and maybe first half of 10 models.
headlight issue was fixed under warranty...but didnt really fix the issue at all..and its nothing major..at least to me anyways.
ive got just under 20K miles on my 09 and have had no issues engine wise at all. my cct was replaced at 4K and has not clattered since
I'm in the same boat. About 18K miles on my 09, and no problems besides these. Routine maintenance goes along way.
Rehab99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
yeah, i'm with you buddy, i have yet to hear horror stories on the Crossplane... pretty interesting actually... OP.. with the valve issues so many people have had on the 07/08, i would think twice about it...

personally im' very happy with my '09, had it since new, almost fully farkled out already

i'm never selling!

Dynojet PCV, DJ AT-200, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS, GYTR , graves AIS, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, RK520, JT (japan) 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL qs,
CLEVER WOLF tank CF, RIZOMA sportline grips, APEX adj. clip-ons, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN no-cut, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Can someone tell me what fuel you guys use for your R1's?

G
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #14
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Jp-7
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMac View Post
Jp-7
LOL
you wish...

You'd be doing a Peter Griffin
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
Can someone tell me what fuel you guys use for your R1's?

G
I can only get 93 as the highest grade here.

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #17
Dai.
"What"

Bikes: 2005 Lava Red R1 12" Hayabusa 2005 Raven R1 *SOLD*
I'd personally look for an 04-08 providing there is no damage and check if its a repairable write off or something similar. My 05 has 45,000 kilometres and still runs like new. I have owned it for 8 months and haven't encountered a single problem,gets its service when due and gets thrashed on weekends.

I can't comment on the crossplane's mechanical issues due to not owning one,have test ridden one but didn't like the seating position compared to the 05 and the sound from Akra's.

I run 91 as it runs shit house with 95 or 98.
Dai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
grahambo
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai. View Post
I'd personally look for an 04-08 providing there is no damage and check if its a repairable write off or something similar. My 05 has 45,000 kilometres and still runs like new. I have owned it for 8 months and haven't encountered a single problem,gets its service when due and gets thrashed on weekends.

I can't comment on the crossplane's mechanical issues due to not owning one,have test ridden one but didn't like the seating position compared to the 05 and the sound from Akra's.

I run 91 as it runs shit house with 95 or 98.
Hmm

we only have 95 in Ireland, I wonder if this is a problem
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #19
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Use the lowest octane you can without getting detonation (knocking and pinging). Running higher and higher octane does no good. It runs shit house with 95 or 98 because octane's purpose is to RESIST detonation, meaning the more of it there is in the gas, the more that gas does NOT want to fire.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
Dai.
"What"

Bikes: 2005 Lava Red R1 12" Hayabusa 2005 Raven R1 *SOLD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
Hmm

we only have 95 in Ireland, I wonder if this is a problem
Don't let that bother you,i didn't know the history of the bike prior to purchasing through a dealership.Tell you now that it runs better on 95 compared to 98. Tune could possibly fix this but 91 is cheaper here so may aswell run cheaper fuel that it loves.
Dai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement