Foot peg lowering kit? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
buckroseau
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Foot peg lowering kit?

Hi, new guy here. Just picked up a 03 R1 yesterday, here's a pic in the back of the truck last night. Ok, condition I guess, needs a little TLC, been lightly laid down so a few scratches here and there, but nothing real bad. Price was pretty decent, so a little work seemed acceptable. Hoping to post a few questions and try to glean some info of the regular's here if possible? Not sure if I should post up a question at a time, or all in this thread....and even if I'm in the right forum. I'm sure I'll have lot's more anyway!

One of the big questions I have is does someone make a foot peg lowering kit? I'm well above average in height, so it would be really nice to drop them down and move them back a bit? I thought I've googled some stuff, but thought the experts here might be able to tell me where to start?

Other questions I have are pertaining to the rear shock and if they make a raising link? If I was to have the rear shock set up for my weight? I was thinking racetech, but maybe there are others that do it that you would recomend? Also, do they make a raising link? Just thinking because of my height again...an extra 1/2" or 1" wouldn't hurt?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG02137-20130104-1702.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	479734  
buckroseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
adjustable rearsets unfortunately rarely lower yer pegs, they're designed for track use, where you need better clearance for 'em ultra gnarly horizontal left handers
so they'll come up a bit and to the rear but with increased options for angles and such... most dont go lower than stock setting

you'll have to look around, close up and do some heavy searching...

my buddy had the same issue, he kinda gave up n' moved up to sport tourer..

not saying you should do this though...

i'm 6' and R1 fits like a glove.. will be sportin' Gilles Tooling vcr's this season

wicked ride

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
buckroseau

Thanks for the reply, did a little googling last night and came up with this place that looks like they make kits for lowering pegs.

http://www.whaccessories.com/FootPegLoweringKit.htm

Looks like you can do up to a 50mm extension, which would be approx. 1.96". It's a lot, but at my height I need a lot. I think I might give it a try.

Also came up with this company for an adjustable raising link?

http://www.soupysperformance.com/homepage.html

I'm a little confused whether they make one for an 03 R1, probably give them a call tomorrow and ask. Be nice if they did, seems like something that would be fairly basic to do?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckroseau View Post
Thanks for the reply, did a little googling last night and came up with this place that looks like they make kits for lowering pegs.

http://www.whaccessories.com/FootPegLoweringKit.htm

Looks like you can do up to a 50mm extension, which would be approx. 1.96". It's a lot, but at my height I need a lot. I think I might give it a try.

Also came up with this company for an adjustable raising link?

http://www.soupysperformance.com/homepage.html

I'm a little confused whether they make one for an 03 R1, probably give them a call tomorrow and ask. Be nice if they did, seems like something that would be fairly basic to do?
How tall are you? we have some Giants on here!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
How tall are you? we have some Giants on here!
6'9" about 270 lbs
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Net-Jester
Braaaaapppp!!

Bikes: 2K R1, KX125
First off welcome to your new addiction. Curious is this your first bike or are you trying to compare to another brand or style bike? I'm 6'2 and the bike fits but if you are looking for a truly comfortable ride then you may need to look at your body position. I'm not sure how tall BeaverPuncher is but I think he is the tallest person I've ever seen ride an R1, and may have some suggestions of correct body position.
A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.Ecclesiastes10:19

http://kewlwebstuff.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/N3tJ3st3r

Mods: Hotbodies undertail, Mig high mount, exup removed, polished frame and swingarm, paint.

Mods to do: Add gas.
Net-Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net-Jester View Post
First off welcome to your new addiction. Curious is this your first bike or are you trying to compare to another brand or style bike? I'm 6'2 and the bike fits but if you are looking for a truly comfortable ride then you may need to look at your body position. I'm not sure how tall BeaverPuncher is but I think he is the tallest person I've ever seen ride an R1, and may have some suggestions of correct body position.
Not my first bike, I'm probably an old guy compared to most guys on this forum...

And no, not really comparing it to anything, just trying to make it fit. I wanted an R1 and that's what I got. Back in college (early 90's) I had a Ninja 600R, After I graduated I had a GSXR and now I haven't a sport bike for 10+ years. I have a few motorcycles, the one I drive the most is a customer chopper I built about 5 years ago, but that fits me well since I built it to fit me.

How tall is BeaverPuncher?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
DerrickWade
I killed em Gilbert

Bikes: 04 R1 and 72 Z50
Holy crap! 6'9" !

Courtesy of Petrol Spice
DerrickWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
buckroseau

Not quite, but close!

Pic of me this fall on my current ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	394176_10151217403973980_521829160_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	479773  

Last edited by buckroseau; 01-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckroseau View Post
6'9" about 270 lbs
Wow! Gonna be hard to get comfortable with your frame for sure.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Wow! Gonna be hard to get comfortable with your frame for sure.

Story of my life! That's why I'm here, how do I/we resolve this problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Devil1
R1-011 Wolfpack C/O

Bikes: 06 50th
Damn that thing doesn't look like it wouldn't stay together. Good thing I'm not and engineer.

Sig by Petrol Spice
TEAM:
SO FAST SO CLEAN

Godspeed Chad "Gawarrior" Clifton - June 25, 2008

R1-011 Wolfpack Squadron C/O
NW USA: WA, OR & Alaska
Devil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Mad German
Bald headed dork

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity
Give Knight Design a call. http://www.knightdesignllc.com/index...a_yzfr1_fp.htm

I didn't see anything for a 2003, but that's not to say that they can't make something for you or that even the ones that they do make might work. Several guys over on the FZ1 forum have these pegs and really like them.

After I'm done installing my Spiegelr Superbike handlebar kit, I will be looking into these as well.
Mad German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
MaRce1o
Track time :flex:

Bikes: Red RN19, SV650(sold), 07 GSXR600, XR50
you beat Beaver, i think hes either 6'4 or 6'5

Good looking bike though, youll find a lot of info in here

CCS #171

2014 NE Middleweight SuperSport Champion
2014 NE Middleweight SuperBike Champion

Sponsored by:
-J&G Performance 781-871-1404
-DanQ Suspensions
-Dunlop
-Vortex
-Race Tech Suspensions
-Fast Life Cycles
-Twizz Designs

What's the right tire for YOUR bike?
MaRce1o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
gsalmons
My R1 eats me.

Jack up plates

Hi

I had a similar problem (but I lost my right leg below the knee!), as I wanted the R1 but wanted a little more leg room for comfort.

I was pointed in the direction of Valto Moto 'jack up' plates, but I was able to turn these upside down. The benefit is an extra inch of leg room, more comfort but the kit means you can still use the standard pegs. The only adaption is the gear link rod which is extended. I didn't bother with this - just did the right peg!

Here's a link to a photo showing the right peg & plate

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

It was 55 and took me 30 mins to fit. Good luck!
gsalmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
gsalmons
My R1 eats me.

Jack up plate

Oops - my R1 is an 07 but I'm sure you could get these for other years!

I also tried the adjustable pegs - I had to machine them to fit the peg mount, but I took them off as they just made the bike look sh*t! Definitely the plates look more 'race'

Last edited by gsalmons; 01-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
gsalmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
playero_loko
ARMY's Finest!

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1, 2011 Yamaha R1, traded in 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000R, sold 2006 CBR 600RR
Soupys is the only lowering link I would feel comfortable using... His link also raises the bike 1 inch and if you order his adjustable kick stand is even better! Far more adjustable than any others by a long shot... Just my .02
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalmons View Post
Hi

I had a similar problem (but I lost my right leg below the knee!), as I wanted the R1 but wanted a little more leg room for comfort.

I was pointed in the direction of Valto Moto 'jack up' plates, but I was able to turn these upside down. The benefit is an extra inch of leg room, more comfort but the kit means you can still use the standard pegs. The only adaption is the gear link rod which is extended. I didn't bother with this - just did the right peg!

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it!! The last couple days I've been firing up the CC, ordering some stuff. I ended up ordering that 50 mm lowering peg kit from wh accessories. Peg is able to rotate to 8 different positions, so more than likely I will rotate back at a 45 degree angle, 1" drop, and 1" back. Also got a custom raising link made at soupy's, should be here in a few days. Designed to go from the stock height, to 4" up. I'm sure I won't goto 4" since that might look a little goofy, but I'm guessing at least 2" up..maybe a bit more? Also ordered up fork springs, rear spring and oil from racetech yesterday set up for my weight.

The pegs from WH come from Germany, so he said they are about 4 to 5 weeks out before I see them. I'm anxious to try all this stuff out!! I will be sure to post up pics once I get everything installed.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by buckroseau; 01-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
buckroseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalmons View Post
Hi

You have a link for those jack up plates?? A link to a U.S. vendor??

Last edited by buckroseau; 01-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement