First ride on my R1 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
franco802
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2012 R1
First ride on my R1

Went for my first ride on my 05 R1 and wow! This thing is very sensitive and fast! I'm almost scared of it. I guess I just have to get use to riding a sport bike or shall I say super bike? My Harley is way easy to ride and control compared to the R1. I wanted to take a class at a race school, but most told me I don't have enough riding experience to take thier course.

I have been riding since November 2012. I love the R1, but I would definitely feel better taking a class so I can feel what this bike can do and build my confidence. I totally understand what people were saying about respecting this bike. When you twist the throttle, it makes you feel like twisting it more and more. When I first took my Harley sportster on the freeway last week, it felt like I was doing 100 and I was only doing 65. I took my R1 on the highway and I was doing 75 and didn't even know it. A totally different animal that's for sure.
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
BlackShadow
Need $ for bike parts

Bikes: 2011 R1, and all the bikes I wish i had
Yeah, little different from a Harley, just a little, LOL

Sig by Uncle P

I wish my Dad was alive to see some of the crazy shit I do. RIP Pops
BlackShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Keep an eye on the speedo, and be careful with the throttle.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Skeeter
Forum Moderator

Bikes: '06 Raven R6
Find a group of mature sportbike riders in your area and tag along. Have them teach you the ins and outs of how it's done. Sign up for a novice track day in your area and you'll learn so much it will swell your head. Once you get it down you will find out the R1 handles much better than your Hardley Sportster.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
WestSide_'10R1
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Bikes: 2010 r1
harley= couch on wheels.......sportbike= rocket with one seat!!....enjoy and ride safe. remember its all in your wrist...twist it wisely. find some one you trust to ride with, and get use to it. dont hit the twisties too soon!!!...enjoy!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
franco802
I eat my R1

Just came back from another ride on the highway. I opened her up a little. Woooooooooow! I got up into the rpm, towards 9000k, this bike is insane. I was going about 95 mph and couldn't even tell. Felt like I was going the speed limit because there were no cars on the road as far as the eye can see. Definitely going to have to watch how fast I'm going.

One thing I noticed was the transmission. It felt like the shifter wasn't engaging the gears all the time when I would downshift. I was wearing thick work boots. Almost like if I was going too slow it wouldn't downshift. Needed to rev it up to change the gears. Is this something normal? I hear these bikes have an issue with 2nd gear.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
HarryNZ
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco802 View Post
Just came back from another ride on the highway. I opened her up a little. Woooooooooow! I got up into the rpm, towards 9000k, this bike is insane. I was going about 95 mph and couldn't even tell. Felt like I was going the speed limit because there were no cars on the road as far as the eye can see. Definitely going to have to watch how fast I'm going.

One thing I noticed was the transmission. It felt like the shifter wasn't engaging the gears all the time when I would downshift. I was wearing thick work boots. Almost like if I was going too slow it wouldn't downshift. Needed to rev it up to change the gears. Is this something normal? I hear these bikes have an issue with 2nd gear.
Easy there fella, shit happens fast at speed, especially when your not used to it.
Down shift with clutch??
Recent oil change??
Does it get better if you 'blip' the throttle on the shift??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
HarryNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
XFelon
Gilmour

Bikes: 2004 R1
Look for a motorcycle safety course. It will belly out and save u some on insurance.

Sig pic courtesy of Uncle Petrol

Pain is weakness leaving the body
XFelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Wait tell you start winding it up! 9,000 is just the starting point!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
franco802
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFelon View Post
Look for a motorcycle safety course. It will belly out and save u some on insurance.
I already did that, I have my M1 license. I took the Harley Davidson class which was much better than the regular MSF. This class was also MSF and we actually used Buell sport bikes. The class was 5 days long compared to the regular 2 day class. We got 20 hours seat time in, compared to 8 in the regular class. I recommend this class to anyone and you don't have to have a Harley. Has nothing to do with having a Harley. 80% of the students owned sport bikes. The regular MSF class had 125 motorcycles which people learned on, pretty weak. This is the whole reason I also purchased a sportbike,learned on the Buell and it gave me the bug. The little Buell handled awesome, I got 100% in the class and received a special award for quickest and most precise cornering out of the whole class. I'm not Valentino Rossi, but my instructors were impressed. I rode dirtbikes for 11+ years and had stopped riding after a bad crash in 2007, so that's the last time I rode a motorcycle. Until recently this past November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNZ View Post
Easy there fella, shit happens fast at speed, especially when your not used to it.
Down shift with clutch??
Recent oil change??
Does it get better if you 'blip' the throttle on the shift??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sometimes yes. I looked at the shifter closely last night and went through all the gears by shifting it with my hand. Was very smooth, but I noticed after shifting each gear the detent felt weak. Almost like the lever spring to make it go back to its original position was worn or something. Is there a spring somewhere in the trans or something?? Bike has 29k and the dealer supposably changed all the fluids. I am going to take the bike back to the dealer today and have them check it. Just got the bike last Friday. Yes, I always use the clutch.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Went for my first ride on my 05 R1 and wow! This thing is very sensitive and fast! I'm almost scared of it. I guess I just have to get use to riding a sport bike or shall I say super bike? My Harley is way easy to ride and control compared to the R1. I wanted to take a class at a race school, but most told me I don't have enough riding experience to take thier course.

I have been riding since November 2012. I love the R1, but I would definitely feel better taking a class so I can feel what this bike can do and build my confidence. I totally understand what people were saying about respecting this bike. When you twist the throttle, it makes you feel like twisting it more and more. When I first took my Harley sportster on the freeway last week, it felt like I was doing 100 and I was only doing 65. I took my R1 on the highway and I was doing 75 and didn't even know it. A totally different animal that's for sure.
First question is, have you just started riding since 11/12 or is that when you started riding the R1. I ask this because like you've said, the smaller lighter Harley's are easy to ride compared to a large V-Twin an especially a liter bike like the R1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Find a group of mature sportbike riders in your area and tag along. Have them teach you the ins and outs of how it's done. Sign up for a novice track day in your area and you'll learn so much it will swell your head. Once you get it down you will find out the R1 handles much better than your Hardley Sportster.
Like Skeeter said, once you get used to the R1 it will seem like a much safer bike to ride than the slow handling weak braking Harley.

Quote:

The 2nd gear issue was only on the 02 model which I owned. The 04-06 trans (I currently own a 06) is a very clean trans which should have no issues shifting unless the bike you purchased was beat on. You may be a little slow on your shifts which goes back to skeeters post on riding with a group that has some experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Wait tell you start winding it up! 9,000 is just the starting point!
Be careful when you get past 9,000, the bike is extremely sick fast above that RPM range.

Quote:
I already did that, I have my M1 license. I took the Harley Davidson class which was much better than the regular MSF. This class was also MSF and we actually used Buell sport bikes. The class was 5 days long compared to the regular 2 day class. We got 20 hours seat time in, compared to 8 in the regular class. I recommend this class to anyone and you don't have to have a Harley. Has nothing to do with having a Harley. 80% of the students owned sport bikes. The regular MSF class had 125 motorcycles which people learned on, pretty weak. This is the whole reason I also purchased a sportbike,learned on the Buell and it gave me the bug. The little Buell handled awesome, I got 100% in the class and received a special award for quickest and most precise cornering out of the whole class. I'm not Valentino Rossi, but my instructors were impressed. I rode dirtbikes for 11+ years and had stopped riding after a bad crash in 2007, so that's the last time I rode a motorcycle. Until recently this past November.

Sometimes yes. I looked at the shifter closely last night and went through all the gears by shifting it with my hand. Was very smooth, but I noticed after shifting each gear the detent felt weak. Almost like the lever spring to make it go back to its original position was worn or something. Is there a spring somewhere in the trans or something?? Bike has 29k and the dealer supposably changed all the fluids. I am going to take the bike back to the dealer today and have them check it. Just got the bike last Friday. Yes, I always use the clutch.
When shifting the bike when it's not running the shifts will seem to feel like they stick. This also hold true if your not in the correct RPM range while riding. I think one you get used to shifting the bike while riding your problem will most likely disappear.

Enjoy the bike, take it slow and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
franco802
I eat my R1

Even when I'm at a stop light it won't go all the way in first. Well you know what, I didn't try rocking the bike back and forth. Thats something I forgot to do. I do remember doing that with my dirt bike often. Even my Harley.

And yes, started riding street motorcycles in November 2012. Everyone is right, this bike is waaay easier to ride than my Harley. Very nimble handling, waay more power, super fast braking etc.... This bike is so much more forgiving on the freeway compared to my Harley. Feels like I'm going to get blown off the Harley at 65.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
franco802
I eat my R1

Ooops double post.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Stonewall
ROWDY

Quote:
Even when I'm at a stop light it won't go all the way in first. Well you know what, I didn't try rocking the bike back and forth. Thats something I forgot to do. I do remember doing that with my dirt bike often. Even my Harley.

And yes, started riding street motorcycles in November 2012. Everyone is right, this bike is waaay easier to ride than my Harley. Very nimble handling, waay more power, super fast braking etc.... This bike is so much more forgiving on the freeway compared to my Harley. Feels like I'm going to get blown off the Harley at 65.
Try and always be in first before you stop rolling up to the light.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

you can try adjusting your shift rod, shift knuckle. the shop may have taken it off to put a new schain or something on or whatever and when they put the shift rod/knuckle back on at a not so good angle. i know i adjusted my shift rod a little on my 09 and it shifted sooo much smoother

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
franco802
I eat my R1

I also noticed the end of the lever where you touch it to shift is totally wrapped in electrical tape. Wtf? Damn, I didn't notice that until yesterday. I also smell a burning oil smell. Like there is oil burning on the motorcycle, but very faint. Nothing smoking or anything. Maybe it's just the age of the bike. I'm taking the bike in tonight and get some stuff addressed.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Stonewall
ROWDY

Quote:
I also noticed the end of the lever where you touch it to shift is totally wrapped in electrical tape. Wtf? Damn, I didn't notice that until yesterday. I also smell a burning oil smell. Like there is oil burning on the motorcycle, but very faint. Nothing smoking or anything. Maybe it's just the age of the bike. I'm taking the bike in tonight and get some stuff addressed.
Look up front around the headers for oil leaks. Probably the pad wore off the lever.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
franco802
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Look up front around the headers for oil leaks. Probably the pad wore off the lever.
Thank you, I'll do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
MeanOne
Recreational adrenaline user

Bikes: 2008 Raven R1
Quote:
I also noticed the end of the lever where you touch it to shift is totally wrapped in electrical tape. Wtf? Damn, I didn't notice that until yesterday.
Don't worry, you'll be shopping for new rearsets soon enough.

I started on a Harley too, and I never realized how unsafe riding that rough handling, weak braking, poorly accelerating bike was until I got my R1. I feel MUCH SAFER on my R1. Its like comparing a scalpel to a meat cleaver.

Check out my Black 'n' Gold '08 Build Thread
MeanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
RiceMonkey
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
Yeah, little different from a Harley, just a little, LOL
Hahahaha
RiceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement