Worst Weekend Of The New Year Already - Hit & Run Story w/ Pix : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
StOBeR
My R1 Owns Me

Bikes: '09 White/Red R1 & '08 Track ZX-6R
Worst Weekend Of The New Year Already - Hit & Run Story w/ Pix

This weekend has been the worse weekend I can remember. So here goes nothing.

It all started Friday not when the punk teenagers across the street destroyed my mailbox and then tried to flee the scene before being caught. I opened my front door, flipped the front porch light on, and watched as the kid peeled out in my grass to get away. I was fortunate that the other car load of punk kids was still trying to turn around in my other neighbors driveway, so I walked out into the street and stopped them before they left as well. Although we didn't have the kids tag, my wife told the teenagers that we had their buddies license plate number and that we were calling the cops. Now before I go any further I have to stress that this is the second destroyed mailbox, the first one we got stuck replacing, so we were not going to pay for another mailbox we didn't destroy ourselves. Needless to say the kid did come back after the cops got there and confessed to hitting it and driving away when we scared him by coming outside and turning the lights on, what a joke.

Now onto Saturday, the first 70 degree day here in Ga, so I decided to get the ole crossplane out for an afternoon of riding. A couple hours into the ride I head into town to meet my wife and daughter for lunch. I had suggested we go to Chick-Fil-A, but my wife decided she anted mellow mushroom, so we headed that way. When we got to the parking lot the place was packed. There was a single rat style Harley Davidson in one of the parking spots up front, which I thought about parking next to but decided not to and drove around to the side of the building to park next to my wife. I pulled straight into the parking spot with the front of my '09 facing the restaurant. I got off shut the motorcycle off and put all my gear in my wife's vehicle. Before going into eat I decided to turn the motorcycle around with the nose facing away from the restaurant and closer to the entrance to the parking spot, so anyone driving down the side of the building would see. Directly across from me now was the Waffle House and a strip of parking spots facing their building. We proceed to go inside and have lunch, when I get a call from my dad who was in town as well, so we extend the lunch off his way. He shows up roughly 15 minutes later and joins us on the front patio to eat and hang out with his granddaughter. Several minutes go by of normal chatter chatter, when my wife's sees a groups of about ten motorcycles go by in front of the Mellow Mushroom and points it out to my almost three year old who's loves motorcycles almost as much as her dad. My dad then says, "yea, its a nice day to be out riding." Then I reply, "yea I brought the bike out for the first time this year." He then replies, yea on my way in here I noticed a bike laying over on the side of the building. I begin to panic and ask, right over there??? He says yea a white one is just lying on its side. I freak out run off the patio in a craze, come around the building and past my wife's truck to find my pride and joy laying on the left side. I immediately squatted down and lifted the bike back up on its kickstand and began to have hot flashes, lol, not really but I could have thrown up.

I instantly started questioning myself as to how it could have fallen over, did I do something wrong? Did I set it on an un-level slope, did the kickstand sink in the asphalt parking lot and tip over? All of these thoughts are going through my head when I began to put things together. First thing I noticed that was the destroyed front fender with cracks all over it, which I thought was very odd because the left mid fairing and the upper cowl didn't shatter. Then I saw it. I looked down at the ground and saw a 6-8 inch gouge on the asphalt where the kickstand was forced backwards towards the mellow mushroom building which was behind my bike. Some dumba$$ backed into my bike. I couldn't believe. They just hit it watched it fall and drove away.

I immediately started pacing around looking for any clues in the parking lot of the accident. Looking for witnesses or cameras, I found nothing. I went into the Waffle House and tried to find someone, anyone that may have seen the accident. Nothing they were all in awe at what happened and explained to me how they didn't see the hit and run but did notice the bike lying there on its side, like that's a f'ing normal position for a motorcycle to be in. Just my luck, no one had any information at either mellow mushroom or Waffle House. There were no cameras outside on either building so I was screwed, left to wonder who in the right mind would hit a motorcycle and drive away, not knowing if the rider would even be able to continue home if the bike was un- rideable.

Luckily I was able to get the right sided and she crunk right up. Smoked for just a second and then hummed like she always did. I was able to ride home, with my pride destroyed and my emotions all over the map. I did call the police before I left and had a report done, but since the bike is paid for and I only have liability on it, the bills on me.

The only bright side to this horrible afternoon, is that the recently added $1300 Graves 3/4 link system didn't get a single scratch. Majority of the damage happened at the front end of the bike.

So if you guys have any of the parts I need or if you are a dealer and want to help a fellow rider out with a discount on some parts to put her back together I would greatly appreciate it. I understand you guys are not running a charity, but if you can help in anyway I would greatly appreciate it. I will be posting what all was damaged to try to figure out what my total bill is going to rack up to.

Thanks guys, sorry for the novel, but I hope you don't have a weekend like I did anytime soon.

Here's some pictures of the damage and a list of the scratched or damaged parts.

1.) Upper cowl
2.) Front fender
3.) Bar end
4.) Clutch lever
5.) Stator case
6.) Air tube cover
7.) Mirror
8.) Rearsets
9.) Tail section

Flash-Tuned ECU
PC-V
Quick Shifter
ASV Shorty Levers
Low Profile Smoke Signals
Integrated Smoke Taillight
Hot Bodies Smoke Screen

2008 Track ZX-6R
Vortex Clip-Ons
Arata Rearsets
Woodcraft Case Covers
Ohlins 25mm "Kit" Forks
WP "Kit" Rear Shock
Goodridge Braided Lines
Versah RJL Racing Pads
Dunlop Q2's
Woodcraft Dual Temp Gen II Warmers
Full Titanium Arata Exhaust
Vortex V3 Rearsets
Vortex Gas Cap
Vortex Front & Rear Sprockets
BMC Race Filter

Last edited by StOBeR; 01-14-2013 at 08:05 AM.
StOBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
damn man sorry to hear that. looks like a truck backed into it. tailgate hit the nose..the the bumper smashed the fender.

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
T.C.
Bourbon is my blood

Bikes: 2002 R1, 1980 FLH Harley, 1993 Suzuki Rmx 250, 1979 CB900f(modified), 1980 Kawasaki KX125
That would p*ss me off big time.
Good luck on getting her back to where she should be.

Sig by Uncle P.

Cal meh anj alcholic all yoo want. I will not memba in the morning, or the next day.

My bike thread.. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343172
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
TheButcher
XSuROsISX

Bikes: Rusty Machete
You're a fool for not having full coverage in the first place. I'd blame myself.
TheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1nStang View Post
damn man sorry to hear that. looks like a truck backed into it. tailgate hit the nose..the the bumper smashed the fender.
Ask me how I know

Replace everything damaged with better parts, it will help ease the pain GL and next time park her in plain view!

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
StOBeR
My R1 Owns Me

Yea I'm thinking about doing the 09 to 12 headlight and upper conversion. Not looking forward to the bill to replace parts I didn't damage but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.
Flash-Tuned ECU
PC-V
Quick Shifter
ASV Shorty Levers
Hot Bodies Smoke Screen

2008 Track ZX-6R
Vortex Clip-Ons
Arata Rearsets
Woodcraft Case Covers
Ohlins 25mm "Kit" Forks
WP "Kit" Rear Shock
Goodridge Braided Lines
Versah RJL Racing Pads
Dunlop Q2's
Vortex V3 Rearsets
Vortex Gas Cap
BMC Race Filter
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOBeR View Post
Yea I'm thinking about doing the 09 to 12 headlight and upper conversion. Not looking forward to the bill to replace parts I didn't damage but I guess that's how the cookie crumbles.
Well, look at it like this... If you DID have full coverage, you would have still came out of pocket for the deductable ($500-$1000) and your bike would be sitting at some dealer waiting on OEM parts to come in... Now you have a good enough reason to update the bike with that money, plus a cool little project on your hand for the winter...

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButcher View Post
You're a fool for not having full coverage in the first place. I'd blame myself.
You're a fool if you would even claim this type of incident to your full coverage insurance without an "at-fault" party... You would pay the deductable AND your rates would go up the next year

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
yman294
Banned

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1
I have lot of parts you need..just not the right color..my parts are brand new condition ...I'll make you a deal..I have a black front fender..a red rail section, upper half and lower half...all the intake pieces...red..all off 2011 red raven..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
yman294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Time for some frame sliders,sorry to say. You could get a c/f cover or GB racing cover protector for the stator cover instead of replacing it. Can't leave them out of sight anymore, too many dbags out there. Atleast the cover didn't crack and cause you to have to tow it home. When I have to leave mine and I'm with someone in a car or truck, I park the bike in the spot first and have them park right up close to it. Harder to steal as well. Hope it doesn't cost you too much for repairs, fvcking dbags !
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
StOBeR
My R1 Owns Me

Great ideas guys, I will definitely look into the case cover in hopes of saving the original..honestly I'm so OCD when it comes to my bikes, I'll probably save up replace it and the a case cover on the new one.
Flash-Tuned ECU
PC-V
Quick Shifter
ASV Shorty Levers
Hot Bodies Smoke Screen

2008 Track ZX-6R
Vortex Clip-Ons
Arata Rearsets
Woodcraft Case Covers
Ohlins 25mm "Kit" Forks
WP "Kit" Rear Shock
Goodridge Braided Lines
Versah RJL Racing Pads
Dunlop Q2's
Vortex V3 Rearsets
Vortex Gas Cap
BMC Race Filter
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

GB Racing covers will cover up the scratches no prob, and they are decently priced

About 5 years ago my own mother backed into my brand new CBR600RR... I cried (like a man ofcourse) but at the end of the day, I found Rizoma, aftermarket fairings, and a few other things that led to my current addiction

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
yman294
Banned

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1
you can always pull the case cover, use a sander and sand it down to where there are no more grooves, and then repaint it with high temp paint I have had to do that a couple of times saves a lot of money.
yman294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
thnakdone
strength and honor

Bikes: 2x99 R1's, the black widow and the blue beast, 02 R1 trackwhore
if you want you can send them to me, I will fix and repaint them for a really good price... think though that the shipping would be the worst price part.... I havent found any oem fairings I couldnt repair yet...

signature courtesy of Petrol

R1-015 "GHOSTRIDER" Squadron Member

Think honorably and speak honestly. What you put forth is a true reflection of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Oh, he doesn't have a choice. If I want it I am gonna take it.
thnakdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
stop2think
I eat my R1

I was involved in a hit and run about 5am January 1st, it was the first police report of the new year in my city. Luckily I was in my truck, but it was totaled and I broke my thumb. Late model lifted tahoe somehow did not see me coming at a two-way stop, ran the stop sign and plowed into my passenger side. Destroyed my quarter panel, door, hood, frame was bent, etc. They just quickly put it in reverse, went around me, and booked it. My little truck wouldn't start and I was in shock so I couldn't even get a license plate. About 30sec later an older gentleman ran out of his house and helped me push my truck out of the street, clean up the mess, and call the cops. He didn't see anything, the sound of the collision woke him up.

Of course I only had liability and there was virtually no way to find the driver so it was a total loss. Spent the 1st talking to cops and buying a new car. Welcome to 2013.
stop2think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
Lesson learned. Never, ever, under any circumstances, park your bike where you do not have line of sight. Several times I've had to leave the table and go regulate. If I can't park in front of X building to eat then I just don't go in. I try to eat healthy but there have been plenty of times we hit Sonic instead of something better just so we can be on or near the bikes. Nobody gives a flying fvck about that bike but you.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
BlackBeast11
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2011 R1
I have a black front fender with a few scuffs on it should buff right out i would sell it cheap to help u out the same thing happened to me but the guy came and found me and paid for it. Let me know ill send u pics if u want.
BlackBeast11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
RavenR1FL
It's like effortless....

Bikes: 2006 R1 Raven
Sounds like your dad is the one who hit it, pissed off that you got a bike and he didnt want you to
RavenR1FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
Sorry to hear... At least it wasn't the other kind of hit-n-run with you on the bike.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
dude, 1st of all, how is it that your dad doesnt know what your bike looks like!??

all joking aside, i feel for yah bro.. if it makes you feel any better, my old man dumped my bike in the parking lot, and i've got about as much damage as you do...
the nose is the biggest pain in the arse cause i have yet to find a CF replacement...

+1 on the case covers though... i picked mine up right after the fall, i was lucky to not get any scratches on 'em...

i absolutely hate going for lunch with others when i'm on the bike, with a car the biggest thing you gotta worry about is a door ding... on a bike... fack me, its half yer paycheck~!

Dynojet PCV, DJ AT-200, Leo Vince EVOII sbk CF, GYTR air, graves AIS, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, EK 520, DRIVEN 15T/43T, Lithtech chain adjusters, ANNITORI RL qs,
CLEVER WOLF tank CF, RIZOMA sportline grips, APEX adj. 3" riser clip-ons, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN no-cut, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLIN FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines

Last edited by bacchus40; 01-14-2013 at 02:50 PM.
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement