Rear shock length ? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 01-11-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
dgowland
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2000 R1
How much longer are the guys with aftermarket shocks installing them ( shock length , not ride height ). I just got a used Fox TCR . It looks GREAT . Looks better finished compared to the TC , Ti body looks trick too .

Dave
2000 R1 red and soon to be yellow !
dgowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
Twisted Logic
Nightmare About to Come True

Bikes: Y2K YZF R1
If I understand the question ,length will affect ride height but anyway everything depends on you weight and how the rest of your suspension is set up. You need to have a competent mechanic set up your suspension for you,hint:if he never has you sit on the bike while working on it,he is not doing it right
Twisted Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:28 AM   #3
R1_Dave
R1 xTc

Bikes: YZF R1 2001
In order to set the length of the shock (Preload Adjustment), you need some help from some friends and a tape measure. The preload is decided by how much static sag you want.30mm - 35mm of static sag is a good starting point. The sag should be set the same front and back to ballance the bike.

Please read this to help you understand how to set the static sag:

http://www.2wf.com/articles/how_to/6...D39F35A8E9.asp

Remember when doing this you must be in full riding gear when sitting on the bike in order for the settings to work correctly, as the sag setting is affected by your wieght.

Your wieght being the major factor for setting up the sag, means different preload settings or shock lengths for people of different sizes and wieght.

Also the preload adjustment dose affect the ride hieght as Twisted has pointed out, so keep this in mind when you adjust the remaing ride hieght required with your ride hieght adjuster.

I hope this helps, but if it all sounds to hard get a pro to set your bike up for you.

p.s. Bike setup is also must take riding styles into account.

Last edited by R1_Dave; 01-13-2002 at 04:32 AM.
R1_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
dgowland
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2000 R1
I understand how to set the sag . What I am after is the shock length . My TCR shock is adjustable for length . Some guys raise the forks in the triples , I want to raise the back end instead . This should keep more clearence . I have seeen where people have mentioned 10mm longer on the shock . I was looking for a list member with experience doing this for an opinion .

Thanks
Dave
dgowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:47 AM   #5
R1_Dave
R1 xTc

Bikes: YZF R1 2001
dgowland,

The length adjustment you are talking about is the ride height adjuster. I've had a look on the Fox Shock web site. There are online manuals there.

As setting the sag affects the overall length of the shock, so it must be taken into account. Then using the ride height, set the length of the shock to the same as the standard shock length. From there adjust to your liking. From my understanding if racing it is recommend to raise the rear 20 - 25mm over standard. With the standard linkage when adjusting ride height sometimes the bottom of the shock hits the link. So a combo of a shorter link and ride height adjustment might be required.

For the road its more of a personal thing, set to your liking.............

Don't forget the front geometry of your bike will also effect how the bike feels, so you question is a little hard to answer.
Advertisement