Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

HOW TO: 04-06 R1 Radiator Fan Override Switch

55K views 125 replies 45 participants last post by  PEOPLES_WPRZ 
#1 ·
I have heard of many different ways to manually override the radiator cooling fans using a simple switch. After using many searches and seeing that many of Yamaha's bikes differ from the years 98 to 05. What would be the best wire to tap into on a '04 model R1. I have seen diagrams of how to tap into the relay of an '03 model. Is the wiring the same? I have found a perfect place for a little on/off, push button style swith that I can easily reach to push while in traffic to keep the temps in a safer, more manageable range. I have heard of people wiring switches in this manner on older R1's, and it messes with the signals coming from the sensers......giving false reading. Someone please help me with a wiring diagram for the '04 or something. Simple wire color/location will be awesome. Most of these types of switches are wired to ground on one side and the relay on the other.............right?:dunno

#2 ·
I would also like to know what wire to tie into for the best results.I did the mod to my 98 R1 and loved it.

#3 ·
I fitted an overide fan switch to my '04.The fan relay is operated by the ECU and not directly by a coolant temperature switch mounted in the radiator as on some earlier models.The ECU sends a negative (ground) down the GREEN/YELLOW wire to the relay.Wiring a switch between ground and this wire would operate the relay but as you say this could upset the ECU and I was advised against this.
Safest way is to fit another small relay (I fitted mine behind the screen inbetween the lighting relays) and wire it across the load (BROWN/GREEN) and feed (RED) terminals of the existing fan relay.Works a treat with no possible interferance with the ECU and auto operation of the fan.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought that messing with the sensor near the radiator would mess with the ECU, but I didn't know that using the green/yellow ground to the relay would possibly bother it. I have got some relays on order. I believe your idea is the safest way out there. Thanks.

#6 ·
RoadRider said:
I fitted an overide fan switch to my '04.The fan relay is operated by the ECU and not directly by a coolant temperature switch mounted in the radiator as on some earlier models.The ECU sends a negative (ground) down the GREEN/YELLOW wire to the relay.Wiring a switch between ground and this wire would operate the relay but as you say this could upset the ECU and I was advised against this.
Safest way is to fit another small relay (I fitted mine behind the screen inbetween the lighting relays) and wire it across the load (BROWN/GREEN) and feed (RED) terminals of the existing fan relay.Works a treat with no possible interferance with the ECU and auto operation of the fan.
Hi all, I'm new here and I have some questions which I need your guys' help. I just gotten my 04 R1 and I wish to install the manual fan switch like you guys do. However, as I try to locate the fan relay. I couldn't find it!:dunno

Could you guys tell me where is the fan relay located? Best, if someone can post a picture of the exact location of the fan relay.
I tried to remove the side cowlings to locate the fan relay, but I can't find it. :(

#7 ·
I fitted a fan switch with a timer last weekend, now my bike has a button on the left clip-on which will run the fans for a minute then turn them off
(Unless the temp has reached 103 c, the normal system will keep them running).
If I’m stuck at lights and I’ve started the fans I don't have to worry about turning them off again if the lights go green.

DECOUP:
You don't have to find the fan relay; behind the LH fairing panel under the intake snorkel bolted to the left side of the radiator is a fuse box.
(Fans, indicator, headlight fuses)
The wire coming from the relay goes into the box and goes through two 15A fuse, one to each fan.

You could wire a switch between the brown / green wire going into the box and a 12v source on the bike this way you are still using the fuses.
I got the 12v for my system from a two prong connector hidden behind the black plastic fairing support bracket that is held to the frame with 3 Allen head bolts.
There's a heavy gauge red and white wire the red ones 'live' i.e. before the main key switch.
This doesn't worry me a some one would have to keep pressing the handle bar switch continuously for 2 hours to flatten the battery.
Haven't got any pics but if you need any more info I can borrow a camera.

Attachments

#8 ·
Baba Zanetti said:
Haven't got any pics but if you need any more info I can borrow a camera.
Hi Baba Zanetti, first of all, I must really say my appreciation for your help in here. I didn't know that I do not have to go straight to the fan motors' relays.

I have just experimented how to remove the side cowlings yesterday. So am I right to say that I just have to remove the LH side cowlings to access to the fusebox and to perform the manual fan switch mod? :)

If you could post some pictures here that shows how you actually do the wiring, I think that will be very helpful. If the moderator decides to turn this into sticky. I think it will help alot of 04 R1 riders to counter the heating problems in future.

Anyway, :thumbup for your good english. I can have a good idea of what you are saying here. But as I mentioned, pictures tell a thousand words. it will really enhance the thread if you could post some pictures here.

Thanks
:)

#9 ·
Hi guys, I'm urgently in need of help to install the manual fan switch for my 04 R1. But all the wiring are really driving me mad. I fear that I might cut/splice the wires wrongly. Can some helpful souls here please post some pictorials to help a poor soul here?
:(

PS: I feel that there are alot of newbies like me out there who would really appreciate this kinda of help from the seniors here.

Thank you very much for your time in reading my post. :riding

#10 ·
Hi decoupe,
I've been very busy at work for the last week.
Will try to borrow camera this weekend and take a few pics,
my 1 hour wiring job needs a bit of a tidy up anyway.

If you are not confidant in your electrical ability maybe a knowledgeable friend
with a multi-meter can supervise you, the workshop manual with the wiring diag
is available from the R1 forum, do a search.

Get some 'scotch lock electrical connectors' from your auto accessories store,
crimps the wires together no soldering or cutting but cover them with waterproof electrical tape to be on the safe side.

If you are going to use a direct switch get one that will handle 30A, the better way is to run the power thru another relay like I did.

#11 ·
Baba Zanetti said:
Hi decoupe,
I've been very busy at work for the last week.
Will try to borrow camera this weekend and take a few pics,
my 1 hour wiring job needs a bit of a tidy up anyway.

Hi, thank you for your response baba. Actually I have done a manual fan switch on my Suzuki TLR before. But what I did is just connect a switch parallel to the thermostat on the TLR's radiator and it works that simple.

However, for the 04 R1, I kind of feel more comfortable to be guided to install the manual fan switch on it. Anyway, I really appreciate your help to post pictorials so that idiots like me can understand better. :sneaky

Hope you can get over very soon with your hectic work schedule!

Take care man!

#14 ·
I think you may be confusing the temperature sensor with the thermostat.
From the manual the thermostat is the traditional wax pellet type,
(test specs says it should be fully open at 85c)
Fitting one that opened at a lower temp won’t turn the fans on earlier but might make
the engine run to cold in cooler conditions.
The older R1s and Decoupe’s TLR had a temperature switch that would turn on fans at a preset temp.
(So putting a remote switch in parallel with it meant you could turn the fan on whenever)
And a temp sensor that fed the dashboard temp display also possibly trimming the ignition map.

From looking at the 2K4 wiring diag there is only a temp sensor which feeds the ECU, the computer
then makes the decision as to when the fans should go on.
As RoadRider suggested further up this thread messing around with the wire between the
ECU and the fan relay might upset things, fooling around with the actual temp sensor on the
04 R1s would definitely feck up the fuel injection system settings.

#16 ·
Yupz, thanks baba. Just want to let you guys know that I have successfully installed a manual fan switch on my 2004 R1. It feels great. Now my bike is not running a fever or having a heatstroke whenever I'm caught in a slow traffic. I believe it is great for the health state of the R1 engine.

The next thing that I'll probably be working on is to redirect the crankcase breather hose to the outside atmosphere instead of going to the airbox. I believe that this mod once completed will allow the R1 to have a cleaner airbox( no greasy substance from the crankcase breather hose) and as well as cooler air intake(since now the hot air from the crankcase breather hose won't enter the airbox.) .

What do you guys think of this idea? :yesnod

#17 ·
Fan override intro

Quick and dirty way to add fan override switch for 04R1.
For people from warmer climates who ride in stop start traffic.

Disclaimer:
Follow these instruction at your own risk.
Anybody with basic automotive electrical experience should be able to do this,
however if for some reason your bike explodes, catches fire or your dog throws
up on your wife’s best shoes it's not my fault.

I'm in Australia, although lighting varies between the different world regions
this part of the bikes electrics should be common world wide.

Download PDF workshop manual for a more technical description of parts
and how to release Yamaha's plastic button fasteners if you are unfamiliar with them.

TOOLS:
5mm allen key
Philips head screwdriver
wire stripper
connector crimp tool / soldering iron

PARTS:
electrical connectors
12v 30A single pole single throw relay (optional)
wire
waterproof elec tape
homemade switch bracket
switch (30A dc rating if not using relay)

#19 ·
Undo these Dzus fasteners on LH fairing side panel.
Bend side panel out and unclip it from upper fairing (marvel at Yamaha's amazing flexi bodywork plastic)
and remove cover plate below LH air snorkel.
Remove pushbutton fastener which holds air snorkel and heat shield to the
frame spar and wiggle the snorkel off.

Attachments

#20 ·
You should now have access to the box which has the fuses for the fans.
It's clipped to a plastic bracket on the LH side of the radiator.
The brown/green wire in the base of the fusebox (closest to the front of the bike)
feeds power from the bikes fan relay to the radiator fans.

You can run 12v (from a source somewhere on the bike, see next message)
through a switch or a relay to the brown/green wire bypassing the bikes relay.
By operating the switch you can turn the fans on directly, if the coolant temp has
reached the preset point (103c for my bike) the bikes relay still operates and
will run the fans regardless of the new switch.

Attachments

#21 ·
I found my 12v power source behind the black plastic fairing support bracket.
Remove the 3 allen head screws that hold the bracket to the frame spar you should see a
connector with 2 heavy gauge wires (red and white) the red is where I got my power from
it's connected directly back to the main fuse (under seat next to the starter relay)
so it's 'live' all the time i.e. not switched through the key.

Attachments

#22 ·
This is the quickest way to get a fan switch.
The clipon mounted switch and the optional hidden switch must be able to pass 30A dc as
should the wiring between the power source/switchs and the connection to the brown/green fusebox
wire.
I put the hidden switch in so you can disable the the circuit to stop someone turning on
the fans while the the bikes unattended.
I wouldn't recomend taking the power from the key switch it can't handle 30A and replacing it
looks expensive.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
(edit#2)
I added terminal numbers for the common Bosch relay to the schematic drawing that should be here, but can't figure out how to replace pic attachments.
so it's at the end of my posts in this thread.

#24 ·
I used this circuit to control the 30A relay in my setup.
Hitting the push button on the LH clipon will run the fans for 60s then switch them off.
I don't have to worry about switching them off if the traffic starts to move again, the LED
lets me know when the fans are running.

Attachments

#26 ·
Final picture of the switch and LED mounted to the LH clipon my crap photographic skills make it look a lot rougher than it actually is.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.