Rearsets Painted! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DouglasyzfR1
Rearsets Painted!

After seeing a bunch of guys on here doing this, I decided to take some time and paint mine as well. Started off by sanding everything down. Follow that up with some primer , then I used some Dupli-Color Textured Metallic paint. Then some clear coat in a can, and BINGO!!! I couldn't afford after market rearsets this winter, so this was the next best thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1039.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	229365  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1033.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	229367  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1043.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	229368  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Looks very good, i wonder how well they will hold up over time...?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Drop a gear and Disappear!

Send a message via AIM to Twisted Noodle
Looks good jsut make sure you replace the bolt that goes into the foot peg the factory ones were cracking off and letting your feet it the ground jsut go to a good hardware store and get the hardest metricbolt they have and your set

Mad Ned the Executioner ...Arrrr!
Chief Will of the Booze Junkies M.C.

This is your Last Chance. After this there is No turning back... You take the Blue Pill, The Story Ends, You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. ....Take the Red Pill ...You Stay in Wonderland ...And I show you... How deep ...The Rabbit Hole goes.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the valley ...Sgt.Siek
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
night rider

Send a message via AIM to ch1ckenR1
lookin good bro...those are the tits

Everyone here is GOD!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Nuclear Powered

very nice touch!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
My R1 eats me.

I happen to be an automotive refinisher at daytona toyota. I have painted thousands of cars, bikes etc.. The problem with (rattle can(puff can(spray bomb( spray paint) or whatever you want to call it. Is that anything that comes out of a can does not contain catalyzer. or hardner. otherwise it could only be used only once and would harden up in the can. therfore it will not hold up over time! espicially on something like pegs where your feet are constantly rubbing against them all of the time. Try having them painted at your local autobody shop. Small private shops only, dealerships wont touch em. or even powder coated. It might cost more but it will be worth the money. You will see how embarrasing it is in a couple of months when it flaking off. But dont worry a little laquer thinner will remove the paint.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by rallysti
I happen to be an automotive refinisher at daytona toyota. I have painted thousands of cars, bikes etc.. The problem with (rattle can(puff can(spray bomb( spray paint) or whatever you want to call it. Is that anything that comes out of a can does not contain catalyzer. or hardner. otherwise it could only be used only once and would harden up in the can. therfore it will not hold up over time! espicially on something like pegs where your feet are constantly rubbing against them all of the time. Try having them painted at your local autobody shop. Small private shops only, dealerships wont touch em. or even powder coated. It might cost more but it will be worth the money. You will see how embarrasing it is in a couple of months when it flaking off. But dont worry a little laquer thinner will remove the paint.
Yeah i kinda figured that eventually that It will wear off, but until I get some extra for rearset it'll have to do...
Even the clear coat stuff in a can won't help it? There's a few guys on here that have done them and seem to been having really good luck so far with not having them wear off?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
You knoWWWW!

Send a message via AIM to DYNASTY21 05R1
Looks good, I was thinking the samething but ehh Iono!

-Dynasty
Ruff Ryders West Coast
Prospect Mgr.
The VALLEY Chapter

vouches: djt77, nevermore, wfor1pilot, smokeuu
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 AM
1 Sick Individual

Send a message via AIM to BlueDevil Send a message via Yahoo to BlueDevil
Nice Im getting ready to paint mine as well..... What grit sand paper did U use?

So U went gloss metalic black or flat black? Then clear over it? Looks good man !!!

R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. courtesy of GIJoe007

Sponsors:

/
/

/
/

Last edited by BlueDevil; 03-07-2006 at 06:23 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDevil
Nice Im getting ready to paint mine as well..... What grit sand paper did U use?

So U went glass black or flat black? THen clear over it? Im assuming flat black.

Looks good man !!!
I had a friend sand blast them down. Think that's the best way, or it'll just take some time if you do it by hand... The paint I used was Dupli-Color Textured Metallic paint. Found it in WalMart, it has like some gritty feeling in the finished coat almost like grip tape. Pretty neat shiat. Then just some clear coat over the top when the paint was totally dried! Like said before, this will not last forever, I'm sure of that! But I'm hoping to get through the summer with it????

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Akrapovic xplane

Very nice

I just got 3 ideas from looking at your bike. Did you fab that exhaust yourself ?????

sig courtesy of Petrol Spice

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power! - Abraham Lincoln

Lucky 13th Squadron
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Sir Douglas

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ===>R1<===
Very nice

I just got 3 ideas from looking at your bike. Did you fab that exhaust yourself ?????
That's why I love this site sooo much! I've gotten soo many ideas from the other members on here. The exhaust is an Mcm exhaust. I got pretty cheap from an guy off ebay that didn't want it anymore. Here's their web site if you want some more info on them!
http://www.mcmcustom.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode