Shortening my akrapovic mufflers - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Shortening my akrapovic mufflers

Hello everyone, im new to the forum as i just bought a 2011 R1 .. I know the shortening akrapovic exhaust topic has been discussed alot here but my question is does anyone know anyone who i can ship them to and have them shortened ? Someone with experience and the right tools because i know they require special rivets and what not.. Of course i will pay for the service.. Let me know thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 AM
My R1 Kills

Send a message via Skype™ to 08r1amk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarakeh View Post
Hello everyone, im new to the forum as i just bought a 2011 R1 .. I know the shortening akrapovic exhaust topic has been discussed alot here but my question is does anyone know anyone who i can ship them to and have them shortened ? Someone with experience and the right tools because i know they require special rivets and what not.. Of course i will pay for the service.. Let me know thanks!
If your after a complete factory finish, Calsport UK are the guys you need. But the problem is they're in the UK.

Used them before. Couldn't even tell if they had been touched. Top quality work.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I eat my R1

Humm instead of shortening them why not sell them. There was a full Titanium Akra system that was shortened 1.5 inches for sale roughly a week ago I'm pretty sure there still available. Sell your setup and pick up that full system. It would prob cost similar if not near that ball park. I personally think shortening the exhaust ruins it but to each there own.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Build Quality Police

If you are american, you might want to read post #3 in this thread:

https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417873

Racing is all about
maintaining the highest possible acceleration
in the appropriate direction.

Peter G Wright, Technical Director, Lotus
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 PM
WOG

I have done it to my Graves full titanium cans and my Sato carbon/Ti cans. Easy peasy. As for "special" rivets, are those magical ones???

Where are you located??? That would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 AM
I eat my R1

Send a message via AIM to simme001
Send me a PM and I can hook you up. When done, it will look totally factory. Mine were done 3 weeks ago and they're gorgeous!

My wife sure can't wrestle, but you should see her box!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Im located in wichita kansas.. And im still new to the forum to be able to sell anything. Also mine are carbon fiber and i wanna keep that look..
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I really want the sound of toce but dont want to sacrifice the look,quality, and performance of my akrapovics.. I wouldnt mind trading them for the graves carbon mufflers!! But again havent been a member long enough to sell/trade
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM
My R1 eats me.

so hot

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
I've been wanting to shorten my Grave Carbon Fiber cans for a very long time now but I'm not sure if I'll melt the tail light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 AM
I eat my R1

As long as the tips of the exhaust are not inboard of the light, you'll be fine. Flush with the lights is ok, once you shorten any further, putting the tips slightly inboard of the tail light, you may have problems. 1.5 inches is what I did to my carbon Akra cannisters, and they're exactly flush. Love the look.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
I've been wanting to shorten my Grave Carbon Fiber cans for a very long time now but I'm not sure if I'll melt the tail light.
I've put about 2500kms on my bike since I've got the Leo italias and there is no sign of melting. My plate was turning a nice yellow though. The exhaust was starting to burn my plate so I had to re locate it underneath the seat
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 AM
para bellum

Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
No special rivets required, regular al. Will work fine.

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simme001 View Post
As long as the tips of the exhaust are not inboard of the light, you'll be fine. Flush with the lights is ok, once you shorten any further, putting the tips slightly inboard of the tail light, you may have problems. 1.5 inches is what I did to my carbon Akra cannisters, and they're exactly flush. Love the look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawle View Post
I've put about 2500kms on my bike since I've got the Leo italias and there is no sign of melting. My plate was turning a nice yellow though. The exhaust was starting to burn my plate so I had to re locate it underneath the seat
The old Graves Carbon Fiber cans already sit flush. I was hoping to leave the outlets where they are and bring the other end of the cans more under the tail.

But if I do that, I'll have to fabricate the y-pipe to reach the cans. I've called all around town and nobody wants to weld titanium.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Garage
I'd like to have my graves exhaust this short but would I melt the tailight at this length?

Last edited by DarkHorse; 05-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
I'd like to have my graves exhaust this short but would I melt the tailight at this length?

I'm going to guess probably not, unless you sit still idling a lot at a stoplight. I've not had any problems with mine being flush with the tail light.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 PM
I eat my R1

Here's a close-up of my akras after Jamie James shortened them. They look as if they came that way from the factory. His work is superb.

And a shot from the other side, from slightly further away.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
I eat my R1

For those of you that have shortened your mufflers, how much did the overall sound increase? Any droning? I hate how long my mufflers look, but it's about as loud as I want it right now.

2007 Charcoal R1 - Graves 3/4 / K&N / Evotech / ASV / Shorai / SBK Flash / Driven / GYTR / Watsen / Bazzaz / Custom LED / Q3's / Rizoma / Drive Systems Superlite 520 -1 +2 / SpeedoDRD / Spiegler
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:04 PM
R1 **** box

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
For those of you that have shortened your mufflers, how much did the overall sound increase? Any droning? I hate how long my mufflers look, but it's about as loud as I want it right now.
im curious to know that as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode