Graves Works Exhaust? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

8Likes
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 1 Post By ncn
  • 2 Post By Banky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Graves Works Exhaust?

2009 R1 is the bike in question.

I "believe" I have a header from a first edition full exhaust. It was being sold on the forum as the current LINK header. The purchase was made 6-8 months ago. I was able to find a LINK midpipe to go with this header but as I sit here tonight trying to install it, there was a fittment issue.

So I need to find a set of old Graves Slipons/decat pipes. Does anyone remember these parts? Or maybe it's a WORKS system I have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics,” he says. “If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike – you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.”-MM93

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:51 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Are you having trouble with the y-pipe to header? Because I have the olds Graves y-pipe and I need the LINK decat. If that's your issue I will gladly swap you through PayPal or something. The new graves link exhaust is meant to be Graves link. The old can be switched I used my Leo Vince's with the Graves y pipe until I got the Graves link slip one and the y pipe doesn't fit perfectly. Let me know if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncn View Post
Are you having trouble with the y-pipe to header? Because I have the olds Graves y-pipe and I need the LINK decat. If that's your issue I will gladly swap you through PayPal or something. The new graves link exhaust is meant to be Graves link. The old can be switched I used my Leo Vince's with the Graves y pipe until I got the Graves link slip one and the y pipe doesn't fit perfectly. Let me know if you're interested

What part of the y-pipe doesn't work? It looks good in the pictures, but I could be missing something?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

The fitment? Is that a word? Where y-pipe connects to my LINKS slip on it's loose on the inside. If I'm correct the old Graves uses a clamp (see my Leo Vince's picture) where the graves link slip on the clamp doesn't clamp down the part because it's held on by a spring. If that makes sense? I've got a small exhaust leak with my LINKS because the links slip ons are not meant for the older y-pipe.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Ok, I see what you mean. Thats not really going to fix my problem. My Graves header extends up into the midpipe location and basically it's too long. But in reality its that I have two different parts that are not working together at all. Hang on a sec I'll get a crappy cell phone pic to explain further.

“If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics,” he says. “If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike – you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.”-MM93

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Well damn was hoping I found the missing puzzle piece I needed! Anyway looks like you're missing a piece? I could be wrong though. In that first picture it looks like you have two y-pipes

APO2112 likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Hmm that is weird. Disregard what I said in that earlier post I see now what I was looking at. So the headers are right and the mid-pipe is correct it's the underpart of the exhaust is too long?

APO2112 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Yeah the collector pipe is too long for the LINK midpipe. I'll be in the phone with Graves to figure out exactly what I have.

Disclaimer: these part were all purchased second hand (they are new however) and they came from different sources.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:23 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Graves Works Exhaust?

That collecter looks like another y pipe to me but it's super early and I may just be stupid.

APO2112 likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

APO2112 likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
At this point I have no clue, hence this discussion. But that picture is very telling...I can see where this might be what's going on.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Looks to me you have the older collector

APO2112 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Ahhhh good find! Dude you're making 'Merica great again...ill send this thread to Graves and see what they can do.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:26 AM
ncn
I eat my R1

Haha no worries hope it all works out!

APO2112 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:02 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Just ask @SpidermanSS
He's a Graves Guy
Torn7th and APO2112 like this.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Ride Alive

Graves is a pain to install anyway. Just recently put on their full Ti system for my 05. Its sweet but putting it in is a pain.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
@SpidermanSS this is the thread I'll be using as a referance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode