Getting my Graves headers! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Getting my Graves headers!

finally got my headers coming in tommorow. problem is, my local dealership hasn't gotten the gaskets yet. so here's my question. 2013 r1 just into 5,000 miles. if the gaskets dont come tommorow, should the existing gaskets be good to use, and just get my $30 back. or should i just be patient and wait for the dealership to get them in. patience has never been strong with me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:08 PM
My R1 eats me.

Garage
I feel like it'd be the same from a car to a motorcycle, cause I didn't change the manifold gasket on a car unless the new one came with one, or the old one was deteriorated. With that being said, I'd keep the stock one.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 PM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
Please report back here and let me know if there’s a difference in sound with the header.

I would try the gaskets currently installed on the bike with that low mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
Please report back here and let me know if there’s a difference in sound with the header.

I would try the gaskets currently installed on the bike with that low mileage.
aight, i'll check them over tommorow if the dealership doesnt call me before the headers arrive.

i got a gopro mounted to my tail. it picks up the sound nicely. i'll definitely let u know, and link a before and after video.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Unacceptable

If they're brand new, don't forget to remind the mechanic (or whoever installs them) to wipe them clean before firing up the bike.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
If they're brand new, don't forget to remind the mechanic (or whoever installs them) to wipe them clean before firing up the bike.
They will only shop oily finger/hand prints for a little while and then all that will burn off and disappear.

I’ve been through this already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Unacceptable

Quote:
They will only shop oily finger/hand prints for a little while and then all that will burn off and disappear.

I’ve been through this already.
I thought the same thing when I installed the Leo Vince Corsa full ti system on my K6. Didn't pay attention, there are still my fingerprints here and there. Pissed me off. I learned from that and gave my Graves EVR a good wipe-down with brake cleaner and a clean shop rag after bolting it up to my '16 R1. Perfect.

Both Chuck Graves and Brain Van suggest it. Maybe I'm OCD about stuff like this, but it only takes a minute, so why not? *shrug*
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Maybe I'm too lazy but I've reused my header gaskets like 4 times now..... LOL they don't leak for me.
milheim05 likes this.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
after seeing what One2 went though. i make it a habit to always clean the exhaust. always someone gotta touch it for some reason smh lol.

i just picked up the gaskets. better late then never. i'm going to use them since the dealer has a no return policy.
DarkHorse likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Send It

I re-used my header gaskets on my bike with no problem at all. About cleaning the pipes down: 100% wipe them down. I wiped down each part before it went on the bike then wiped it down again after install and BEFORE start up. Im a neat freak and no way in hell am I gonna burn my fingerprints on my new blue exhaust! if you bought the gaskets and can wait sure why not.
Hooli likes this.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
the header gaskets were fine. i used the new ones anyways. @One2 i got everything bolted up, there is a bit of a sound difference from what i could tell riding. i got finished kinda late, so i couldnt do a rev clip. it sounds a little more throaty. i cant really describe it that well. lets just say, it sounds like it wants u to pin the throttle lol.

i do have an exhaust leak were the cat delete and the collector from the header meets up. it's a pia to get that hinge to tighten down right. no matter how i played with it, the leak was there. sometimes not as bad as other times. i'm going to get some high temp silicone tommorow and see if that fixes it. if not, i'll try a new gasket. what high temp silicon should i use?
DarkHorse likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:01 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDarkFury01xX View Post
i do have an exhaust leak were the cat delete and the collector from the header meets up. it's a pia to get that hinge to tighten down right. no matter how i played with it, the leak was there. sometimes not as bad as other times. i'm going to get some high temp silicone tommorow and see if that fixes it. if not, i'll try a new gasket. what high temp silicon should i use?
NONE! its a full graves exhausts , you either installed it incorrectly, have a different generation pipe (one of the 3 sections) or you have a lemon. How about call the manufacturer before you ruin the exhaust and can't get a replacement because you splooged a bunch of goop on it.
@SpidermanSS please help this guy out.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
everything is lined up. idk how i could have installed it incorrectly.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
i did some digging around. a lot of recommendations to use Permatex Ultra Copper sealant. would this ruin my exhaust?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you have Graves velocity stacks?

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:26 PM

Garage
Listen to mine. 3/4 system. I think it revs faster with the stacks.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have Graves velocity stacks?
Yes sir! It definitely revs faster with the stacks. I love the response. I should probably note that in the video I was only twisting the throttle a little bit. Like, not even a 1/4 turn very slow in between revs. My neighborhood president was walking his dog when I took the video. I already got complaints about my bike being loud. Don't want to deal with him lol. I hate hoas lmao
DarkHorse likes this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Garage
@One2 heres the before clip. dont mind the short shifting lol.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
@One2 heres the before clip. dont mind the short shifting lol.

https://youtu.be/8JUwecHfmAU
Need an after video with the same camera set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode