Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Fitted 15 R1 Tail Fairing To My 08 R1

9K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  DouglasyzfR1 
#1 ·
It's been a few years of planning and coming up with a way to make it all work and look clean while doing it. Converted my 08 rear tail to an 15+ race tail set up. I am all done with mock up and fitment, just need to make 2 more brackets and have the tail painted in color matching 08 raven paint in the next couple of weeks.
I will eventually post up process when completed. I had to cut and weld onto original subframe along with using other pieces to make it fit properly. Originally tried using 15+ subframe, but they are impossible to weld on. Even tried 15+ race subframe which I had front mounting points rewarded to bolt up to the 08 frame. Just wasnt happy with outcome, so that got scrapped as well. Lol

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks pretty damn good!

Reactions: StraightSuccess
#13 ·
I'm sure there is a weight savings, because I now have less subframe. Lol
I actually bought a 15 race subframe and had the front mounting points cut off and re welded to make it fit onto the 08 frame. I just wasnt happy with using it though, battery location and all electronics would need some serious attention.
The regular stock 15 rear subframe is impossible to weld, the material is wicked thin and is magnesium compared to alunimum. My welder attempted it and and tried. He got a weld to work, but for safety reasons we agreed that my ass wasnt going to be riding with it attached to the frame. Lol

#19 ·
I’ve been interested in that swap/mod for a few years now. I’d love to see that done up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#33 ·
So basically I cut off the back end so the OEM tail light sits in flush to the rear subframe. I then took the mounting point off the section of rear subframe and attached it further up using a few rivets on side and welding inside on subframe.
I still need to fab up an undertail which will get done this winter.
Others have used the entire tail an undertail from the 15 which I think looks way to bulky on any other bike besides the 15+ R1. I love the one piece race tail set up!!! This winter I will be cleaning the install up better as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.