4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nsecure805
  • 1 Post By Benocehcap
  • 2 Post By LatterDaySavage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

99 R1 CDI Getting Hot (nightmare)

I picked up a 99’ R1 for a steal and it wasn’t running. Turns out it was just the fuel filter. Got it running for a little while and then it was just one problem after another after that. I’ve replaced pretty much everything on it (at least once lol) chasing down issues that I’m not even sure I had or that the part that I replaced was the culprit.

I’m new but no stranger to this forum from various google searches and troubleshooting and I have a feeling I’ll be posting pretty often with this particular bikes issues.

So I guess I’ll start with my main issues right now first being the CDI getting so hot it melted/blew a hole in the replacement one I bought because the old one was the culprit of my no spark issue. I spoke with the person I purchased the CDI from thinking it was a faulty unit but it turns out the old one gets hot as well (key on).

The list of parts I’ve replaced: Stator, Battery, installed Ex-Up Delete, Ignition Coils, RR, Spark Plugs, Starter Circuit Relay, CDI (3rd one should be here tomorrow), and Fuel Pump. I’ve also gone through all the harness plugs that are usually problematic and replaced them with butt connectors and used dielectric grease (main harness, RR, stator)

I went through the repair manual looking at wiring diagrams and what not and I found that the RR wiring in the service manual (supposedly for 98-01 but titled yzfr1 98’) has it wired black on the top left and red on the top right with the white on all bottom 3 of course. I looked at mine after recently bypassing the plug/harness and it was wired with the red and black in opposite places from whenever I looked it up at the time. I find that depending on the source the red and black wires are more often than not in the opposite of what the service manual says so I’m lost on that. I replaced the RR (again) thinking that was the issue since it would blow the main if I wired it correctly according to the manual but the new one came in today (MZR) and it blew the main as well.

Sorry for the novel but I’ve reached my wits end on google searches and forum searches and I’m ready to just sell it for a loss and move on so I figured I’d register and give it one last hoorah before then, thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Update: Found out only the black wire is getting hot going into the rectangle harness on the CDI.

I also learned a few seconds ago that you’re NOT supposed to apply dielectric grease to the contact points or in my case INSIDE these electrical plugs 🏻 I’m beginning to think that’s one of if not my main issue.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatterDaySavage View Post
Update: Found out only the black wire is getting hot going into the rectangle harness on the CDI.

I also learned a few seconds ago that you’re NOT supposed to apply dielectric grease to the contact points or in my case INSIDE these electrical plugs 🏻 I’m beginning to think that’s one of if not my main issue.
EDIT: The orange wire is also

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I’ll just keep updating with my findings till someone can help me figure it out lol

So the black, orange, and grey wires going to the CDI get hot along with the corresponding coil which got so hot it started melting the plastic on it. Also the harness for the main switch gets hot mainly one of the red/white wires which also gets pretty warm at the fuse block. The only other wire I can find getting warm is the brown/blue one going to the main harness which is coming from the ignition I believe.

Mind you.. this occurs using the old (2nd) CDI that already melted a hole in it that I’m only using to isolate and troubleshoot the issue. When I use the original CDI that came on the bike the grey wire def gets the hottest with the orange and black maybe getting warm but hard to tell.. could just still be warm from using the other CDI.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I know I don’t have R1-Forum stumped do I?

I put the old oem coils back on and put the CDI on that came in today.. it was starting to get hot with the old coils but so far I can’t feel anything getting hot yet. I only was able to get it running for a little while though because I forgot I unplugged the RR. I’m waiting for it to charge up enough to start again and I’ll see what’s going on now.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Just enjoy the ride.

Garage
I've been keeping up with this thread but don't have anything useful to add. Hopefully that new cdi works out for you. Just letting you know you're not being ignored haha
Benocehcap likes this.

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
2014 Yamaha R1
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 PM
I eat my R1

I've just read your thread, but not sure exactly what's happening. It does sound like you have a couple of faulty igniters - the ignition isn't CDI.

The factory manual has good diagnostics for the electrics, the one for the ignition might help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

99 R1 Ignitor Getting Hot (nightmare)

Yeah I guess it’s TCI? Thanks for the responses.

So yesterday I got it running and even rode it around for awhile with no problems other than pissing off the neighbors with it being loud af since I cut the exhaust off lol. I felt the ignitor after the ride and it was nice and cool.

I’m not sure if it was the dielectric grease that I was too generous with applying or the new ebay coils I bought that were the issue or a combination. I also found a pin broken off in the main harness that I fixed but I’m pretty sure the ignitor was still getting hot after I fixed the broken pin and cleaned all the grease out of the connectors, so I’m betting on the ebay ignition coils being the culprit.

I see why going through proper troubleshooting steps is so important because I was just replacing parts that weren’t bad and didn’t even know where to begin.

So far so good though I think.. once the new exhaust and tires come in I’ll register it and ride it for real and we’ll see.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Hope is what makes us Human.

We Forum member appreciate u sharing ur thoughts and braking it down for us to read and learn from it. In case someone else as the problem. Like it was stated i have no idea what could be wrong. But i do appreciate u spilling the beans

good luck! :
NZ_R1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they aren’t born, they’re built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Yeah no problem I’ll def update once I’m sure it’s fixed. I hate reading through posts with similar issues I’m having and they don’t update with the solution.
Benocehcap and NZ_R1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode