2003 R1 idle issue - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
02-03 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 02-03 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

2003 R1 idle issue

Hi I brought a 2003 r1 8 weeks ago, it was standing for 10 weeks, on 2nd ride out bike goes like a steam train but on tick over the idle flutters between 800 r pm and 1200 r pm, goes up and down but does not stall, does this cold and when engine hot at over 100 degrees, can anyone help with advise, as always wanted one of these bikes but now feel a bit disheartened, I did blast it round block after putting in some motul fuel cleaner, but still the same, you can smell the carb cleaner coming thru exhaust, so I know it's getting thru? New member by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM
I eat my R1

Could be the tps causing it to hunt.. You can check it in diagnostic mode..
Suggest you to download the service manual here
https://r1videos.files.wordpress.com...ice-manual.pdf

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Cheers for the info, alot of answers over the net have been, spark plugs, tps, carb sync, carb clean but just unusal for a bike with such low millage!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 AM
Banned

if it has never had a different map (no power commander etc) and it has a aftermarket exhaust you will get this kind of idle out of the older bike's.
my r6 did it right after I swapped out the slip on can. on the R6 I could turn the idle up. probably can on the 03r1 also. it helped stabilize the idle a lot.

nothing wrong with the bike, its the FI has to be adjusted with a map.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
if it has never had a different map (no power commander etc) and it has a aftermarket exhaust you will get this kind of idle out of the older bike's.
my r6 did it right after I swapped out the slip on can. on the R6 I could turn the idle up. probably can on the 03r1 also. it helped stabilize the idle a lot.

nothing wrong with the bike, its the FI has to be adjusted with a map.

There is no way the above is the issue for it hunting idle quiet honestly
The 02-03 FI isn't a standard fuel injection system there is no O2 sensor or anything for the computer to read for the FI to adjust they don't self learn..

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Agee View Post
There is no way the above is the issue for it hunting idle quiet honestly
The 02-03 FI isn't a standard fuel injection system there is no O2 sensor or anything for the computer to read for the FI to adjust they don't self learn..

exactly my point. you have to compensate with a new map for it.
if you slap on an aftermarket exhaust back then they did in deed have an erratic idle. a lot of people with an R6 would die at a stop sometimes. mine did. I put my idle up to 1500 instead of the manuals' 1300. and it was perfect after that. until I got a power commander.

Last edited by yamaharandy; 12-31-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:45 PM
I eat my R1

R1 2003 idle issue

Quote:
exactly my point. you have to compensate with a new map for it.

if you slap on an aftermarket exhaust back then they did in deed have an erratic idle. a lot of people with an R6 would die at a stop sometimes. mine did. I put my idle up to 1500 instead of the manuals' 1300. and it was perfect after that. until I got a power commander.

It won't make it hunt at idle because it cannot sense the change So the ecu won't try to lean or richen making it hunt.
The only change is lean/rich condition and unless it's terribly bad like melting or fouling plugs you won't notice.. Now if it had an 02 sensor it would cause it to hunt for idle because the tune would show rich/lean and the computer would try to correct this..
What your implying is same as saying a carbed model would hunt at idle after changing a slipon because of improper jets..
But I do agree proper tuning for aftermarket parts is best but in this case won't cause it to hunt for idle

Sorry op for getting off track

Last edited by Zac Agee; 12-31-2015 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
It won't make it hunt at idle because it cannot sense the change So the ecu won't try to lean or richen making it hunt.
The only change is lean/rich condition and unless it's terribly bad like melting or fouling plugs you won't notice.. Now if it had an 02 sensor it would cause it to hunt for idle because the tune would show rich/lean and the computer would try to correct this..
What your implying is same as saying a carbed model would hunt at idle after changing a slipon because of improper jets..
But I do agree proper tuning for aftermarket parts is best but in this case won't cause it to hunt for idle

Sorry op for getting off track

I know it's not leaning/riching the mixture, that's what I'm saying. the old bike's couldn't compensate for any changes. you had to use a map to correct it.

yes it really does make it have a poor idle. the computer is keeping it the same but you changed the exhaust from stock which was a lot more restrictive. the converters used to be in the can and the can was a bunch of baffles not open pipe with fiberglass packing around it. this is why a new map is a must when swapping exhausts.
trust me, it works this way. been around them a long time to know this is what happens to them. been through it myself. got through it for a little while by upping the idle speed but it still bounced around a little bit but never quit running.

it's pretty common knowledge back then if you swapped a can, you needed the pcIII and a map for the can. there were probably 20-30 maps dynojet made for the R6 back then for all the the popular cans.
okay enough of this because I know what I'm talking about...

anyway, Colin, if this isn't the case for you I'd look into getting the throttle bodies synchronized before you plop down money for anything else. but first change the plugs then have them synchronized.

Last edited by yamaharandy; 01-01-2016 at 09:29 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:

yes it really does make it have a poor idle. the computer is keeping it the same but you changed the exhaust from stock which was a lot more restrictive. the converters used to be in the can and the can was a bunch of baffles not open pipe with fiberglass packing around it. this is why a new map is a must when swapping exhausts.
trust me, it works this way. been around them a long time to know this is what happens to them. been through it myself. got through it for a little while by upping the idle speed but it still bounced around a little bit but never quit running.

it's pretty common knowledge back then if you swapped a can, you needed the pcIII and a map for the can. there were probably 20-30 maps dynojet made for the R6 back then for all the the popular cans.

I come from a performance machine shop building and tuning engines on a chassis dyno anything from bikes, 900hp imports, to 1500hp v8s, and lots more but I won't get into that so We can agree to disagree! And I won't pick the above apart!
I own the effected model and have swapped cans several times never owning a power commander and not once have I had an idle issue. Not to mention other bikes of the same model I've worked on and tuned

Quote:
okay enough of this because I know what I'm talking about...
I think I've Heard that before🤔

But I'm DONE I don't need to spend anymore of my time beings you know what your talking about.. 😯

Anyways op keep it simple and good luck

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I come from a performance machine shop building and tuning engines on a chassis dyno anything from bikes, 900hp imports, to 1500hp v8s, and lots more but I won't get into that so We can agree to disagree! And I won't pick the above apart!
I own the effected model and have swapped cans several times never owning a power commander and not once have I had an idle issue. Not to mention other bikes of the same model I've worked on and tuned

I think I've Heard that before��

But I'm DONE I don't need to spend anymore of my time beings you know what your talking about.. ��

Anyways op keep it simple and good luck

YamahaRandy is correct. ANd it isn't idle hunting.. its missing because the fuel is absolutely wrong. The 02 03 R1s and the similar year R6s have an odd type of FI that does not have an O2 sensor, they also use vacuum slides unlike standard 04 and up R1s which are OBD2 more or less. This odd 2 year production run would go south when you put a pipe on it and it is far worse when the header does not have an EXUP valve in it with the AIS system removed. I pulled my hair out with this until I popped in a PC3R that was on a race bike of the same year and it cleared the idle up perfectly even though it was a map for a slightly different setup. It was absolutely night and day. So that was my experience take it for what its worth. ZAC - if you are still around, have you run into such an idle problem on these specific models and what did you do to sort it out if so? I went though carb sync, valve clearance, vacuum leaks, coils tests, new plugs w/ gaps set, fuel pressure test... TPS test / swap - only thing that did it for me was PC. Maybe it was a bandaid but it was a damn good bandaid.

Makin' Ponies....

Last edited by ChR1z; 06-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode