Another "wont start after winter" thread - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
02-03 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 02-03 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Another "wont start after winter" thread

New England winter/spring is so brutal for maintenance.

I'm new to wrenching but committed to doing absolutely everything myself that doesnt require extensive costs, expertise, and specialized equipment. Got a master cylinder rebuilt, new stator, aftermarket exhaust, PC-V, and brake job under my belt so far.

To the point... the bike didnt start after winter. It would crank strongly but not fire. I could get at least 5 good cranks out of it before it started to take a toll on the battery.

Now, I reconnected that PCV ground wire so many of us seem to forget about. The bike cranks AND fires/runs but immediately stops when I let go of the starter button.

Right now I'm thinking my next move is to reflash the PC-V seeing that the starting issue directly involves the PC. (Meanwhile... dash lights, fuel pump primes, starter relay clicks, bike cranks, runs with starter depressed. I have "just for fun" replaced the spark plugs with new ones. Replaced the starter relay with a DB Electrical relay they identified as the correct part of this year/model/make. I have a new lithium-ferrous battery coming along with a replacement fuel pump relay)

There are 7 diagnostic codes stored but I dont know when they were last cleared. I'll clear those tonight I just didnt have time and patience at 8pm. The stored codes are: 11, 12, 16, 17, 19, 22, 30.

Any thoughts before I come back with new codes or re-flash the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

diag 62 > key ON > starter switch to "ON" > flick starter switch to OFF then back on > turn key to OFF

I followed that per manual and it doesnt reset the codes, so they are all current then?

Chances of bad stock ECU?
Chances of bad PCV? (bought at end of 2018 season)
Ignition system isnt grounded properly?
Bad starter switch assembly?

Thoughts on those, or elsewhere?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

hmm. not getting any bites on this. Wondering now if I should have used a title that will get someones attention that doesnt specfically monitor THIS mechanical help page.

I'm going to disassemble the start switch assembly on the handlebar this weekend and see if there's a short. Then going to check the bike's grounding. From there Ill pick up a multimeter and start checking all the connectors/sensors/relays.

Anyone out there?

Riding in RI-CT-MA area. Lucky 13.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

UPDATE

in case anyone actually reads this

Like planned I opened up, cleaned and rebuilt the starter/kill switch. It was a little 'muddy' on the contacts but the cleaning was not the solution I was hoping for. But it eliminated one more variable.

Checked continuity of main ground wire from battery to frame. No problems.

Took another look at the starter relay and it finally occurred to me that if the terminal poles are reversed from stock, then the wiring harness leading in would have to be reversed as well, but it only has one fitment and the leads are locked in permanently. I went back to my stock relay but it wouldnt fire so I definitely think the original was toast. I ordered a factory OEM relay that I have on hand now and Ill update if it turns out to be the fix after all.

By the way the non-spec relay I used was from DB Electrical. It does NOT work on 02-03 R1. I emailed them and asked them to take this bike off the fitment list. Hopefully they comply or remedy in some fashion.

Riding in RI-CT-MA area. Lucky 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode