06 R1 weird noise - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
04-06 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 04-06 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

06 R1 weird noise

Hi, recently brought an 06 R1, Everything seem fine with it. However, when riding it at 1-2 mph it makes a weird cunkling noise. It just isn't smooth, feels oddly off. Is this normal? everything is smooth and fine after 10 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:45 AM

not normal. chain ok ,, lubed, look at sprockets ,, wheel lined up and secure gravel stuck in tire ? or screw
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM
I eat my R1

I'd say it is normal for the bike to be a bit clunky at 1 - 2 MPH considering you could barely have the clutch engaged at that speed. It's designed to be smooth at 100 times that speed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory ii View Post
not normal. chain ok ,, lubed, look at sprockets ,, wheel lined up and secure gravel stuck in tire ? or screw
Chain was a bit loose, it's now adjusted and lubed. But i still feel it's like coming from the engine. I want to even say it clunks more when i'm riding slow cold, goes away a little bit when it warms up. Anyways, nothing too extreme, Valve adjustment maintenance coming up in about 4k. I'll see if it smooths out after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
I'd say it is normal for the bike to be a bit clunky at 1 - 2 MPH considering you could barely have the clutch engaged at that speed. It's designed to be smooth at 100 times that speed.
Hey, feels normal when i'm going fast right. Just don't ride slow there won't be no problems lol thanks for yall's input
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
I eat my R1

Most likely coming from the clutch. Especially since it improves when it gets warmer. Mine has a subtle chatter when cold. Clutch is also really grabby when cold. Smooths out when everything is warm (also have an 06). Is it really noticeable or are you maybe just looking for a problem where there isnít one? No insult. Just the way I am sometimes...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
in first gear with he clutch out and it idling it should be about 12 mph. anything below 15-16mph would be a bit lurch and clunky because of the surging of the engine. a slight bit of throttle applied and it should smoothe it out. that can be helped a bit with a tuneup, valve adjustment and sync.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_killer View Post
Most likely coming from the clutch. Especially since it improves when it gets warmer. Mine has a subtle chatter when cold. Clutch is also really grabby when cold. Smooths out when everything is warm (also have an 06). Is it really noticeable or are you maybe just looking for a problem where there isnít one? No insult. Just the way I am sometimes...
Subtle chatter sounds about right. I wasn't looking for a problem, it came to my attention last week trying to creep out the drive-way completely cold real slow to not wake the neighbors. Sounded like something in the front slapping my front fender with each wheel turn, had to stop to check the front wheel. I since couldn't replicate those real noticeable thuds anymore since i let my bike warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
in first gear with he clutch out and it idling it should be about 12 mph. anything below 15-16mph would be a bit lurch and clunky because of the surging of the engine. a slight bit of throttle applied and it should smoothe it out. that can be helped a bit with a tuneup, valve adjustment and sync.
This sound logical. It's probably nothing wrong, although i just found out yesterday one of the headers pipe is dented and has a pen tip hole in it. Might be the reason the engine running weird. About to change new headers and see how it goes from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode