Screeching sound from the Magneto - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
04-06 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 04-06 R1

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewstclair
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Screeching sound from the Magneto

Guys,

As a lot of you guys might already be aware of the faulty yamaha Magneto generators from which the the magnets wear and tear and broke off and come out and the system fails.
That just happened to me and I replaced it with the new updated part wherein the magnets are now covered with a metal plate!.

But on successfull replacement Im getting a screeching sound, for a moment the ERROR 46 goes but then the bike stalls again with ERROR 46 ,as can be seen in the video below.


The Magneto rotor is fit snug and the case/cover is closed and bolted fine!
Also, the only thing missing is a Gasket (can this be the reason)

btw, Im using the old stator right now!
Nishant Sood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:33 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 223
yes, you need a gasket
i "made"a gasket out of the silicone stuff once to have a similar problem, the cover needed the clearance that the 3/32-1/16" gasket gave it
emilson is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilson View Post
yes, you need a gasket
i "made"a gasket out of the silicone stuff once to have a similar problem, the cover needed the clearance that the 3/32-1/16" gasket gave it
WoW! but what could be scientific reasoning behined such a screeeching sound and kind of total fail just bcz of no gasket!? (Im thinking right pressure?!)
Nishant Sood is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 AM
para bellum
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 37,403
Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
the wonderful sound of a bearing surface getting all fawked up.

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
the wonderful sound of a bearing surface getting all fawked up.
Bearing is ok!, I opened and recheked for any damage. there's none. but the plate bearing has a couple of its balls chewed, again I checked it by putting the old generator in it and rotating was working like a charm(maybe no pressure?! cz while the plate is tied up under pressure the same bearing might not work because of a couple of chewed up balls?!)
Nishant Sood is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant Sood View Post
Bearing is ok!, I opened and recheked for any damage. there's none. but the plate bearing has a couple of its balls chewed, again I checked it by putting the old generator in it and rotating was working like a charm(maybe no pressure?! cz while the plate is tied up under pressure the same bearing might not work because of a couple of chewed up balls?!)
Sorry for confusion, by "bearing is ok!" I should have written the inside bearing is ok.
Nishant Sood is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:10 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 223
im thinking that your rotor is grinding on the inside of the cover because it needs the extra space created by the thick gasket, got a pic of the inside of the cover?
emilson is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilson View Post
im thinking that your rotor is grinding on the inside of the cover because it needs the extra space created by the thick gasket, got a pic of the inside of the cover?
Thank you emilson!

The screws on the stator were too tight, as I'm also replacing it so I had to cut the wire and give it to a rider buddy of mine who has better tools to unscrew and put the new stator. This is what he sent when he removed the stator and those pics are attached with the attachment to this reply. There are crushed bearings!
I checked the internal bearing, they're all good!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf statorAssemblyPics.pdf (423.8 KB, 15 views)
Nishant Sood is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Hey Guys,

I have got all the parts need. SInce the stator cover Bearing went bad I had to order all those parts!
Now I have all the parts. but I have seen some people worrying about the crushed Magnets which might fall under the oil pan, do I need to open the oil sump.pan underneath and clear it? Also, I have got a magneto drain plug this time which might ward off or attract the magnets based on the pole they are! (LoL) what all I need to do basically apart from the next this which is oil change?!
Nishant Sood is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:39 AM
I eat my R1
 
andrewstclair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC.
Posts: 1,376
Garage
The rotor has some clearance on the shaft to slide back and forth so the gasket shouldn't be bothering it BUT you do need a gasket I don't know why you would even assemble it without one. Do you still have the spacer/washer that goes up against the inside bearing on the shaft? Without that it might rub your case. You have to replace the bearings "a couple crushed balls" is not a thing, that's called a ****ed bearing. They usually take damage when the rotor fails so it's best to change then at the same time especially since you can pick them up for 5 bucks at a bearing distributor. You SHOULD open your oil pan to be safe because no one knows how many or what size of pieces went into your pan and will they be caught by filters. Filters don't keep them from being sucked into transmission gears. Even if the screen does it's job it can get clogged and then starve your motor for oil and blow. Will it? Probably not so it's really your call it's your bike but the smart move is to do the job right.
tory ii likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
andrewstclair is online now  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
The rotor has some clearance on the shaft to slide back and forth so the gasket shouldn't be bothering it BUT you do need a gasket I don't know why you would even assemble it without one. Do you still have the spacer/washer that goes up against the inside bearing on the shaft? Without that it might rub your case. You have to replace the bearings "a couple crushed balls" is not a thing, that's called a ****ed bearing. They usually take damage when the rotor fails so it's best to change then at the same time especially since you can pick them up for 5 bucks at a bearing distributor. You SHOULD open your oil pan to be safe because no one knows how many or what size of pieces went into your pan and will they be caught by filters. Filters don't keep them from being sucked into transmission gears. Even if the screen does it's job it can get clogged and then starve your motor for oil and blow. Will it? Probably not so it's really your call it's your bike but the smart move is to do the job right.
Thanks! Andrew

I did all that you mentioned 2 days back! but now I have new issue: https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/104-...reinstall.html
Nishant Sood is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Definitely take the oil pan off. I'm in the same situation right now. This is what I found in mine. Plus a couple of the small shock absorbers that go behind the stator rotor and a gear cog. The Yamaha dealer took it apart and it looks like they dropped a couple in there. Do you know if you have to replace the coil if you're putting in the newer type of rotor with the enclosed magnets. I installed mine but it seemed really tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_175637 (1).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1000361  
Benito Guerrero is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
LoneRider
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Guerrero View Post
Definitely take the oil pan off. I'm in the same situation right now. This is what I found in mine. Plus a couple of the small shock absorbers that go behind the stator rotor and a gear cog. The Yamaha dealer took it apart and it looks like they dropped a couple in there. Do you know if you have to replace the coil if you're putting in the newer type of rotor with the enclosed magnets. I installed mine but it seemed really tight.
Offcourse I had the oil sump cleaned. my other posts lists the problems created after that though! (because this is all done by myself!)
Also, You can change the coil if any of the windings on it are cut! if not then you can leave it. and Yes! its gonna seems tight as it is metal and the generator is all magnets.
I had a successful stator job though. I had to also replace a machined part on the stator cover bcz the bearings in it went bad but I got rid of the error 46!
Nishant Sood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screeching noise AndreaG 98-99 R1 Mechanical Help 0 07-31-2015 10:22 AM
04 R1 Engine Makes Screeching Noise iLogiK Mechanical / Help 17 05-04-2004 09:26 AM
Magneto (left side case cover) Removal myth KneeDragger77 Mechanical / Help 4 03-31-2004 06:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome