Generator shaft bearing failure. - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
07-08 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 07-08 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Save a life, grope your wife!

Generator shaft bearing failure.

So after all the work I did with the head, now this. At least I found this before more damage ensued. I'm going to order a new bearing and count how many balls are in it so I can account for every single ball in the failed bearing. I'm sure there are a few in the oil pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0105.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	364856   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0106.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	564.5 KB
ID:	364858  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

The bearing that failed is at the starter clutch end of the generator shaft.

I coming to the realization that Yamaha quality control took a vacation when they built my bike. The reason the bearing failed is that the spacer on the end of the shaft between the starter clutch washer and the bearing was installed backwards. I know this because the spacer is beveled on the interior on one side to mate up to the shaft, the other end butts up against the bearing. It was turned around, which caused excessive lateral force on the inner race of the bearing causing premature failure.

But the good new is parts will be in Wednesday and the inner race is removed from the shaft and the outer race is removed from the block. The outer race was tricky but I got it out.

Hopefully when I get her all back together I won't have any more problems. The engine rolls over real smooth and quiet by hand now so all should be good.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Jeez that's some lucky streak you are having and hopefully no damage resulting from it. I also hope this isn't an insight into the future of my bike after the dodgy valve incident! GL getting it back on the road.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Got it back on the road yesterday. It sounds good and runs even better! I had pulled the oil pan to check for debris. It was a good thing I did. I pulled out the remains of the bearing cage and a few other unsightly bits. Got fresh oil and filter in now and will do a flush and another filter and new oil in 100 miles just to be safe.

Good to have Ol' Blue back on the road!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM
My R1 eats me.

How did you get the stuck race out? This has just happened to mine, destroyed the stator and bearings and metal everywhere! I spent 4 hrs so far trying to get the race out but its not moving! Any advice???
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Hey Sideways, just saw this post. I bought a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight, also called a blind bearing puller.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-p...ller-4876.html

To get the outer race out of the block, I had to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut a shoulder into the bearing face for the puller teeth to grab onto. Once I got it set up it came out fairly easily. I stuffed a rag into the cavity to keep small metal shavings and particles from getting into the sump, but ultimately had to drop the oil pan anyways because the ball bearing and some of the chewed up cage had dropped into the pan when I pulled the rotor out.

Take your time and you should be able to get it out just fine. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pilot_bearing_puller.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	489690  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I MUST BREAK YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
Hey Sideways, just saw this post. I bought a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight, also called a blind bearing puller.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-p...ller-4876.html

To get the outer race out of the block, I had to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut a shoulder into the bearing face for the puller teeth to grab onto. Once I got it set up it came out fairly easily. I stuffed a rag into the cavity to keep small metal shavings and particles from getting into the sump, but ultimately had to drop the oil pan anyways because the ball bearing and some of the chewed up cage had dropped into the pan when I pulled the rotor out.

Take your time and you should be able to get it out just fine. Good luck!
Hey hooligan, so do you remember which way that spacer is supposed to be installed? I disassembled my stator for inspection and now I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. The manual doesn't cover that in detail.

Mods: Too many to list.......

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in the battle" - Chiang Kai-shek
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 AM
My R1 eats me.

The tapered bit should face the generator.

Man, that was painfully but got it out. Cleaned the crap out the sump, changed the oil, started the bike and sounds good... rev the motor slightly and I hear a funny grind type noise from the stator cover... thinking I should have changed the other bearing too! Do you think the other bearing could be my problem? It looked good... I'm learning to hate this bike! Anyone with an r1, get this bearing and generator cover changed before it goes! I had magnets everywhere too!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
In front of a gixxer

Sideways I have the 05 R1 and the bearing behind the cover has came apart took forever to figure out where the metal was coming from. I am still trying to figure out how to get that bearing out. It is sandwich between the cover and another piece that the stator mounts too. I just don't want to damage anything trying to get it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life begins at 150......On a 2005 Blue R1 | Akrapovic racing system | Lockhart Phillips sliders | Lockhart Phillips spools | Lockhart Phillips bra | Greggs custom billet aluminum license plate holder | Pit-Bull front and rear stands | Dynojet Powercommander PCIIIusb | Greggs custom billet aluminum flush mount turn signals | Viper 2 way paging alarm | Rear intergrated brake and turn signals | Chrome wheels | Gafler SS front & rear brake lines
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iracekx View Post
Sideways I have the 05 R1 and the bearing behind the cover has came apart took forever to figure out where the metal was coming from. I am still trying to figure out how to get that bearing out. It is sandwich between the cover and another piece that the stator mounts too. I just don't want to damage anything trying to get it out.
I knocked the metal chunk bit out of the cover through the hole with the screw in. Tapped out quite easy, I may have used a little heat. To get the bearing out I used a vice, put 2 pieces of wood on one side either side of the hole and a stack of washers on the other sude to press bearing out. Tightened vice, applied heat with blow torch and closed vice, just took it steady and it popped out. To get new bearing in, did the same in reverse, just used one or two washers to push it in all the way. Don't forget to use heat and plenty of it, only way it would move! Hope this helps.

PS, don't heat the outer cover when putting the chunk with bearing in, in the outer cover.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 AM
In front of a gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways77 View Post
I knocked the metal chunk bit out of the cover through the hole with the screw in. Tapped out quite easy, I may have used a little heat. To get the bearing out I used a vice, put 2 pieces of wood on one side either side of the hole and a stack of washers on the other sude to press bearing out. Tightened vice, applied heat with blow torch and closed vice, just took it steady and it popped out. To get new bearing in, did the same in reverse, just used one or two washers to push it in all the way. Don't forget to use heat and plenty of it, only way it would move! Hope this helps.

PS, don't heat the outer cover when putting the chunk with bearing in, in the outer cover.
Is it OK to heat the inside of the stator cover non painted side when putting the bearing and chunk of metal back in? I take it that you heated the chunk of metal then knocked it out. I have all three screws in and hitting those screws with a rubber malet and it's not moving. I was afraid if I used a regular hammer I could hit to hard and crack the case. I will try heating up the chunk of metal and seeing if it will come out easier. Thank you for your response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life begins at 150......On a 2005 Blue R1 | Akrapovic racing system | Lockhart Phillips sliders | Lockhart Phillips spools | Lockhart Phillips bra | Greggs custom billet aluminum license plate holder | Pit-Bull front and rear stands | Dynojet Powercommander PCIIIusb | Greggs custom billet aluminum flush mount turn signals | Viper 2 way paging alarm | Rear intergrated brake and turn signals | Chrome wheels | Gafler SS front & rear brake lines
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iracekx View Post
Is it OK to heat the inside of the stator cover non painted side when putting the bearing and chunk of metal back in? I take it that you heated the chunk of metal then knocked it out. I have all three screws in and hitting those screws with a rubber malet and it's not moving. I was afraid if I used a regular hammer I could hit to hard and crack the case. I will try heating up the chunk of metal and seeing if it will come out easier. Thank you for your response.
I don't remember heating it too much to get it out. Thinking about it, I think I actually tapped the metal out by loosening the screws and tapping the screws, working around, couple of taps and moving on to the next screw. I used an actual hammer and tried my best to not hit the case. To get it back in I put the metal chunk with bearing in the freezer for a few hours first and slightly heated the cover, pushed it in a bit then did the screws up working around so it went in straight.
Same with bearing, put it in the freezer for a few hours before pressing it in.

Sorry, I did it a couple of months ago, its all coming back to me now!

Last edited by Sideways77; 10-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 AM
In front of a gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways77 View Post
I don't remember heating it too much to get it out. Thinking about it, I think I actually tapped the metal out by loosening the screws and tapping the screws, working around, couple of taps and moving on to the next screw. I used an actual hammer and tried my best to not hit the case. To get it back in I put the metal chunk with bearing in the freezer for a few hours first and slightly heated the cover, pushed it in a bit then did the screws up working around so it went in straight.
Same with bearing, put it in the freezer for a few hours before pressing it in.

Sorry, I did it a couple of months ago, its all coming back to me now!
Thank you so much that should help me get it out.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
In front of a gixxer

I heated the metal chunk up for 5 minutes with a heat gun and it almost fell out all the way. I had to put the long screws in and laid a piece of wood across the 3 screws and one light hit and it popped out. I will take my press to get the trashed bearing out. I know the tricky part will be getting the metal chunk lined up with the 3 screws. I guess I will insert the long ones through and slightly thread them in. I will freeze the metal chunk for several hours before hand and heat the cover up with a heat gun hopefully it should line up and drop in correctly.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

In my original posts, I did not mention that I also replaced the outer bearing in the cover as well. After I got the outer bearing out of the cover, I dremeled away a bit of the material to make installation of the new bearing easier. The plate held it in place fine after that and I did not have any issues with it after the fix. Just a FYI.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
My R1 eats me.

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know the part number for the inner bearing?

I can't find it on the fiche. What is it listed under on the fiche?

Thanks in advance!!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:29 AM
I eat my R1

Hi

Bearing part number 9330620230

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1436448544.196595.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	765890

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 AM
STFU and ride!!

this is a typical yamaha failure
i have a freaking collection of these covers, bearings and stators.
the rotor has failed on me 4 times.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM
My R1 eats me.

Thanks yall!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.