flat tire. bike shop won't fix. what to do? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Gas it wanker

flat tire. bike shop won't fix. what to do?

so my 2018 R1 with 600 miles and 2 trackdays has a flat rear tire. I pulled the wheel out and took it to the bike shop only to be told they don't fix flats and then tried to sell me a new tire. I said no thanks.
anyone have any suggestions?

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:40 AM
I eat my R1

A lot of the shops here won't patch motorcycle tires, either. They claim liability. Keep calling and you'll probably find one that will. Or just patch it yourself. A patch-plug is best. I have no problem patching a street tire. As a matter of fact, my rear tire on my R1M has a patch on it, now.

2016 R1M
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Is this thing ON???

You're not supposed to patch or plug motorcycle tires... it's a liability and shops can't do it.

Motorcycle tire compounds are much softer and different than car tire construction.. Motorcycle tires heat up a lot more and the patch can let go or the plug can blow out. It's an OK thing to do to get you home.. but nowhere near a permanent fix... esp on an R1!!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBacon View Post
You're not supposed to patch or plug motorcycle tires... it's a liability and shops can't do it.

Motorcycle tire compounds are much softer and different than car tire construction.. Motorcycle tires heat up a lot more and the patch can let go or the plug can blow out. It's an OK thing to do to get you home.. but nowhere near a permanent fix... esp on an R1!!!
I agree, for the couple hundred dollars it will cost it's not worth it to me to take a chance like that on a machine with two wheels and your mostly away riding at a fast pace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lucky 13 Squadron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 06-28-2018 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM
I eat my R1

Like everything, it's a matter of opinion. Here's what I use.

Patch-plug

Never ever had a problem. I've also used just a patch. Never a problem. I wouldn't go on the track with a repaired tire, though. Too much flex and heat.

I've put thousands of street miles on patched tires.

2016 R1M
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-n-D View Post

Patch-plug

Never ever had a problem. I've also used just a patch. Never a problem. I wouldn't go on the track with a repaired tire, though. Too much flex and heat.

I agree with you also, it's just a matter of opinion. I know it works because when I was younger I used to patch them and never had a problem. As I've gotten older I take less chances. If I walk and fall I get hurt so the thought of going down on the bike causes me to make more conservative decisions. I don't even ride the same these days, I don't get down in turns like I used to.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
I agree with you also, it's just a matter of opinion. I know it works because when I was younger I used to patch them and never had a problem. As I've gotten older I take less chances. If I walk and fall I get hurt so the thought of going down on the bike causes me to make more conservative decisions. I don't even ride the same these days, I don't get down in turns like I used to.
Same here, brother. I turned fifty last December and it takes forever to heal, now!!

For street riding, though. I have no concerns....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Gas it wanker

Quote:

Patch-plug

I was gonna get new rubber before next trackday, but that isn't until end of August. was hoping to get a few more street miles on the tires before then.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Gas it wanker

Quote:

Patch-plug

considering you get 160 miles on a tank of gas, I don't think you are going fast enough or working the tire hard to worry about tire plug failing

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:44 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1guysc View Post
considering you get 160 miles on a tank of gas, I don't think you are going fast enough or working the tire hard to worry about tire plug failing
Damn! And I wasted all that money on an R1M!

Do you recommend I throw away all my 1st place MRA road racing trophies, then?

2016 R1M
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Patch-plug

I checked out the link to the patch, looks pretty thorough. Whats the most mileage you've put on a tire with a patch, just wondering?

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:19 PM
I miss my R1

I'm with the "a couple hundred bucks isn't worth risking my life and my bike" crowd... I would never use a patched tire for longer than it takes to get it replaced.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I checked out the link to the patch, looks pretty thorough. Whats the most mileage you've put on a tire with a patch, just wondering?
The main street I live off of also goes to the local dump. I pick up roofing nails all the time. I have a tire machine and balancer at my house, and have literally pulled off my street and pick up a nail on a brand new tire. My wife has her own bikes as well. That's a lot of tires!

We've put three and four-thousand miles on street tires with a patch or patch-plug. Done it many times as I've lived in this house for more than twenty-years.

2016 R1M
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Gas it wanker

who said it costs $200 to fix a flat?
you guys must be getting ripped off!
obviously if they're gonna charge me that much I would just put a new tire on there.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that no one did.....

2016 R1M
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
I'd buy a new tire but that's just my opinion. Do whatever you want to do.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
you guys must be getting ripped off!
obviously if they're gonna charge me that much I would just put a new tire on there.
I mentioned a few hundred at the beginning of the thread but that was for a new tire, not a repaired one.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:54 AM
z00
I eat my R1

Rides a $15k bike. Wants to patch a tire

Like others said, replace. It ain't worth the risk.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 AM
My R1 go to warp drive

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. When I was younger, I would patch and plug motorcycle tires all the time and never had any issues. When I got older, I started taking less risk ask well and just purchased new tires. The healing process is not what it used to be so the crazy days of riding is going astray...
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM
I eat my R1

The tyre manufacturers have guidelines on when and how to safely patch tyres.

If I had a clean hole in the centre of a new tyre, I would probably patch it. But if it was worn or the hole was on the shoulder, then time for a new tyre.

I don't ride on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode