Out of the Loop - need advice - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Tire Tech Forum Everything tire related post it here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By iamzombie
  • 1 Post By Jaketheone46

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
If speed kills quit taking it

Out of the Loop - need advice

Been running Pirelli Diablo and Diablo Rosso's on my '02 for the past few years. I've found them to be a generally good combination of stick and durability. I haven't really kept up with new tyre tech over the past few years so I'm wondering if there's anything that will stick as well / better and give more mileage.

To give you an idea of the type of riding I do, last year in the space of about 6 weeks, I put on close to 6,000 kms. That was a fair bit of highway, but I also rode the Back of the Dragon a few times (Virginia), the Blue Ridge Parkway (mid-week and at speed), and some bumpy twisties in Northern Ontario.

So - grip is important and I'd also like a bit more mileage. I've been reading about Metzeler RoadTecs, Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart III, and Michelin Road 5.

Does anyone have any experience with / reviews of any of these tyres?

Cheers

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better
than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." -Hunter S. Thompson.

Go here to read about my latest travels----->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM
I miss my R1

I was a huge fan of Michelin PR3 and 4's but recently gave Bridgestone's T31 a try on my S1KR and so far have been pleasantly surprised. I don't think they'll offer as much wet grip as the Michelins but in the dry they feel just as good to me, and cost about $100 a set less than PR4's or Road 5's.

I've only put about 1,000km or so on them so far, but they look as good as new so far.
Yamahuh likes this.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM
THEONEGTIVR6

Iím just now starting to test the waters with street tires, Iíve always ran supercorsas. Now that my wife rides I find I spend quiet a bit of time riding a slower relaxed pace. Right now Iím running on the metzler m7RR and am very impressed. Pretty sure itís just like the diablo and rosso for longevity which seems pretty good to me.
Yamahuh likes this.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Diablo Rosso Corsa II -- Best street tires I've ever owned!!! These suckers grip in the turns and last a full season of street riding! The 3 compound is a life changer!!

SuperCorsa's are great, but they won't last long.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I must admit - I do like what I've experienced of the Pirelli Diablo range but I remember getting big mileage out of Avon Azarro's back in the day and was just wondering if there was a better option

than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles ..." -Hunter S. Thompson.

Last edited by Yamahuh; 04-28-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Been looking around and these are about the best prices I can find - all prices are Cdn $ - all sizes 180 / 55 / 17

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - $179.99 Cdn
Michelin Pilot Power - $141.99
Pilot Road 3 - $223.99

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II - $168.99
Angel GT - $225.22
Angel Sport Touring - $173.99
Diablo $148.99

Dunlop Sportmax Q3 - $204.32
Roadsmart III - $191.80

Metzeler RoadTec 01 - $232.99
RoadTec Z6 - $149.99

What would be my best choice??

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode