Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 Motor work.

77K views 725 replies 68 participants last post by  Tim Radley 
#1 · (Edited)
#82 ·
09 clearly looks to be much smoother if thats the word even. Just looks cleaner and more rounded.

any idea what the cc difference between them is Tim?

And whats with the dimple near the spark plug hole on both?

#88 ·
You can get quite a performance gain from improving the combustion event and this requires reshaping the chamber. It goes a little further than "port and polish" but that hateful expression is not my bag anyway baby.
Attached are a couple of examples of non-R1 chambers. You should be able to see where are why from those.

Attachments

#90 ·
imho 08 chamber looks better then 09.
looks like they reduced the c/r on the 09 engine .

also , i always wondered why do they leave the extra space on both sides of the combustion chamber , between the intake and the exhaust valves?
i saw on some old race engines ,the pistons aint flat on the top , and they got extra matterial that goes exactly in those 2 points i'm talking about...
so is this done on purpose?

#96 ·
thats an amazing job on the combustion chamber tim .
i bet the c/r is sky high on those . looks like u should worry about valve to valve clearance on the lower chamber .

#97 ·
Yes sorry pictures were a bit low res, didn't mean to sound rude. Posted in a hurry this morning.
It lets you get CR in there without skimming which helps PTV too.
You still excited Diel? I'm only going to polish your ports though :) haha

#100 ·
OI...Hallo.....anyone home
Whats up America, youve gone all quiet.
What happen ?, youre beloved Government ban crossplane crankshafts too. :crash

#103 ·
not anti american, it's anti goverment.

By far we clearly have the most ****ed up and greedy goverment on earth.

And to help them we happen to be the most ignorant people on earth.

#104 ·
not anti american, it's anti goverment.
By far we clearly have the most ****ed up and greedy goverment on earth.
And to help them we happen to be the most ignorant people on earth.

I love Americans, whats not to like, they are just like Australians.
Sorry maybe my wit is a little sharp for some
But yes I am staunchly Anti American Government like a lot of people down here. Excuse me for having the cerebral dexterity to differentiate between People and Government.
Jay, Its one clear thinking man like you that makes up for 10 ignoramus's.

#107 ·
:corn

#112 ·
So you're killing 2 birds with one stone.
You're reshaping the chamber for better squish and raising CR.
Does reshaping alone increase power / efficiency ?

Another Q, is the cross plane crank patented ?

#113 ·
Diel 11

You said that Arata is coming out with a system for the 09 yamaha r1. I would like to know if you know if Sato will Be coming out With a full system for the 09 as well.:secret:

This post has been deleted
#115 ·
Just for comparison, this is a pic of the 09 R1 cam chain vs. a HRC one out of a 07 1000rr. The HRC one is supposed to be stronger than their stock one. So when people talk about the weight of the new bike, this is the kind of stuff that makes the difference. This whole motor is just a tank, everything has been beefed up to take the crossplane uneven firing order and the high revs also. Just in case, the bigger one is the 09 R1 chain. The links themselves are also thicker.
Better to be a little big and have no failures and cut weight somewhere else.:secret:

This post has been deleted
#118 ·
that bike needs the heavy chain because of the higher pressure on the chain ,caused by the eneven firing order.
as u know , on a normal firing order one cylinder valves closing help the other's cylinder valves to open , this is not happening on the 09R1 , at least not like in normal inline 4.
yamaha solved that problem long ago on their gp bike , with pneomatic valves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.