Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Warning To 2009 R1 Owners - Rear Pegs

47K views 175 replies 77 participants last post by  RSD 
#1 ·
Was speaking to Hansdyno today and he asked me if I had received the bulletin from Yamaha about removing the passenger pegs. I told him I hadn't so he proceeded to tell me that Yamaha Germany had sent him a notice that if you remove the passenger pegs, you have to install some type of a bar back in the same space were the peg mounts were. Failure to do so could result in the subframe cracking and/or breaking. They are using the pegs and that cross member between them as part of the reinforcement for the whole unit. Since the undertail is not smooth, I just cut the pegs off and have the base left. I will have this powdercoated black and then remount it.

#39 ·
why the hell would they do that. i guess that engineer should be in the same box as the guy who came up with the appearance.

#41 ·
I'm guessing that it has something to do with a bike that is designed originally for the track and then for "The Consumer Sales" they got to put on the pegs etc. Thus creating somewhat of a glitch :dunno

Either way my pegs and passenger are coming off!

#69 ·
Just keep in mind that the person that this came from doesn't ride in the street. They run a very successful roadracing team in Europe. Looking at the subframe alone you could see a worry for twisting problems without the brace, but there's really no telling. I guess time will tell.

#71 ·
Definitly not questioning anything you have said and I should have clarified one thing. I am running the track with this one and definitly plan on checking the bike over after every race/track day.

#74 ·
Ha, yea right. When I figured I had a small problem, it gave me an idea for my tag. I fabricated two flat brackets, used the black bolts from my heat sheilds and made them about 1 1/2inches longer than I needed. Bent the extra for my tag. Spray painted them black and killed two birds with one stone :) It was pretty easy. I just got a 15cc rear brake reservoir and fabed a bracket to mount behind the heel guard. I will post some pics tomorrow if I can get sometime.....:thumbup

#80 · (Edited)
You have enough clearance for the tire there?
I like those "Credit-Card" license plates ;)

However I am not sure if a flat sheet is doing what this "link" is meant to do.
Looking at the original part, this thing is designed not only to act as a spacer but more so to withstand bending (what the sheet metal won't).
I suspect this link is meant to counteract torsion of the subframe...

I have two more weeks to wait until I can check it out on mine...:rant

#81 ·
I took it out last night and ran it through the gammit, hard braking wheelies pot holes no issues with the plate hitting the tire or rear hugger.

As far as the subframe not being strong enough, I say its alot of crap. When you get your bike ( soon ) i hope :) you will see its not a big deal but to each his own. Unless maybe your going to be putting a 100lb weight in your storage area under the rear seat cowl LOL

You would get the front up easier though :)

#85 ·
The brace looks to me to be there to stop the rear footpegs from folding inwards under rider weight. Not so much for support of the rear sub-frame itself. Of course I don't have my 09 yet :rant so can't make more than an alternative suggestion for you all...:nopity:

#91 ·
That statement doesn't make any sense at all. If it was for fat chicks, it wouldn't be needed (as per the Yamaha buletin) when the pegs are removed, right?
Why seem 50% of the people here all the time think that tech buletins and instructions all are conspiracy?
- the brace warning just to cover ass
- break-in instructions to steal hp
etc..
And even more striking: How can one say "it's not needed" without having a clue on the static loads in that subframe. Have you done a computer analysis and know?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.