Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Warning To 2009 R1 Owners - Rear Pegs

47K views 175 replies 77 participants last post by  RSD 
#1 ·
Was speaking to Hansdyno today and he asked me if I had received the bulletin from Yamaha about removing the passenger pegs. I told him I hadn't so he proceeded to tell me that Yamaha Germany had sent him a notice that if you remove the passenger pegs, you have to install some type of a bar back in the same space were the peg mounts were. Failure to do so could result in the subframe cracking and/or breaking. They are using the pegs and that cross member between them as part of the reinforcement for the whole unit. Since the undertail is not smooth, I just cut the pegs off and have the base left. I will have this powdercoated black and then remount it.

#94 ·
Local dealers here do not have the bulletin either. I'm still trying to find the actual bulletin so I can post it.

One thing to keep in mind, the passenger footpeg mounting points are not behind the rider, they are under. It's around 6 inches from the back of the tank. And I don't know what grade of magnesium they are using, I do know it's cast which usually it's not the strongest; it seems no one has even mentioned or maybe thought about that. Each owner should do whatever they feel is enough, I would just hate to be riding around, have the thing break and then not just fall off the bike, but get sucked in between the rear tire and the back of the frame and motor.

#100 ·
Does that center brace that goes from peg to peg come off by it self (i.e. 3 pieces) if so anyone think that maybe they are refering to that rather than the pegs themselves? just an idea

#104 ·
I had to remove 25 bolts to remove the passenger elimination brackets. This did give me the opportunity to find out that the oem end cans are not really all that heavy at all! I guess that is why the Akrapovic slip-ons only save about 3 lbs and only add about 2 hp. So if I get slip-ons it will only be for cosmetic reasons...

#118 ·
yeah the std cans are pretty light, but have you felt the weight of the Y-pipe section, jesus.

I'm glad we have the OK to remove them now, but I can't believe that no-one in this thread has mentioned the potential weight on the subframe with the exhaust system hanging off it as well? I would have said that being a possible reason for yamaha to issue the warning.

As said above though, it's all cool if you're a solo rider, so guess what's coming off my bike today!

#106 ·
that funny i made my dealer remove mine before it left the shop same for them nasty standard cans

thanks for the heads up will print this off, show them and see what they say

what a stupid thing to do, the 08 fireblade owners have issues to to get their rear pegs off you got to unbolt rear subframe can take 1.30-2hours to get rear pegs off crazy

#107 ·
Yea my Ducati 1098 only needs two bolts to remove the seat and the peg bolts are right there. On this new R1 te passenger bolts are under the battery box and I had to remove end cans, top part of rear fairing, the battery, etc to get at those bolts. Sheesh!

#109 ·
Quite contradicting of Yamaha to sell the single seat cowl (at an outragious price! £169 in the uk) yet offer no solution to removing the rear pegs???

As someone who does carry pillions from time to time , I'm just gonna leave the rear pegs on. it all sounds like far to much hassle!...

#112 ·
After reading all the post on this subject and sorting through them all, here is my take on it ( I'm a mech. eng who does design, fab, test and evaluations).
First of all, there are a few assumptions being made. 1) no confirmation on a legitiment yamaha docuement. 2) we don't know all the fine details leading up to the cracked sub-frame. 3)Also, someone mentioned that a cast magnessium structure is not that strong.......not!!! If so, why would they design and build cast mag wheels (very strong units!). Now, if the cast sub-frame is strong enough to support a rider and passanger (with added rear peg assembly) then most certainly it would be more than strong enough with only the rider! In my opinion, the center brace between the rear peg assy is there only to prevent a bending moment applied to the rear pegs when a passenger is aboard....and thats it. Without a rear footpeg assembly and no passenger it would be very unlikely the cast sub-frame will see any torsional loads...unless you crash. I would advise securing the plastic piece that was captured by the rear peg assy! This is just one mans opinion and from someone who has removed the rear peg assembly from his 09 R1, without reservation. Everyone is entitled to an opion however!!!

Tom

#113 ·
Yep - you're spot on!

Yamaha UK are worried that the brace wont be put back on should the rear pegs be put back on the bike - If the bike is sold on to a new owner, without the brace etc etc.

As said, the only reason for the brace is to reduce inward forces should a pillion put a lot of weight on the pegs. Whilst the magnesnesium alloy/structure is very very strong with forces downward, it is not strong with forces in other directions.

#116 ·
psh you guys are working way to hard at removing yoru pegs, i removed the seat, battery, which is 4 bolts to remove the metal stay, unconnect the battery and remove the toolkit and just pull come wires back and take them out. its a PITA but at most was 8 bolts...not 25....

#117 ·
Even if your subframe cracks and breaks it won't get sucked into your rear tire. It is still bolted to your exhaust, the tail bodywork. and even the wires that run through it are connected. It wouldnt be a good day, but I seriously doubt it would cause a crash.

#123 ·
#124 ·
Just an FYI, you don't necessarily need a new bracket for the reservoir. The actual amount of brake fluid needed is minimal so if you can get your hands on some tubing that is rated for brake fluid http://www.yoyodyneti.com/search.asp...=tubing&page=1 then it's easy. Giving you another option.

#125 ·
I thought about removing my passenger pegs but I figured if I went down they would help protect the cans and tail section.

Anyone gone down with the pegs removed? How did your bike fare?

#127 ·
Several times with the rear pegs yes. And they did help in terms of protecting the cans, but they also assisted in terms of getting the bike to flip around when they dug in. It is a catch 22, the biggest thing to think about is where are the rear pegs gonna catch your leg in a wreck and do some tearing to the flesh. On the track your better off, in most cases NOT having them on.

Now we're on brake reservoirs, ok...

Question: Why is the brake reservoir, particularly the front so big? Why do you need so much fluid? What happened to the integrated reservoir/master cylinder?
Since most road racing braking comes from the front brakes, like 99-100% you will use more pressure resulting in the need for more of a "stockpile" of fluid. Could you lose the large front reservior, maybe but I would never risk it. In fact I have been a victim of front brake fade while on the track. I now rely upon a front brake adjuster to compensate for that exact reason.

It's the line that runs to the front brake lever, allowing for on the track adjustments.

Knob that is high on the left side clip-on.

#126 ·
Now we're on brake reservoirs, ok...

Question: Why is the brake reservoir, particularly the front so big? Why do you need so much fluid? What happened to the integrated reservoir/master cylinder?

#129 ·
Well, I just went down this afternoon with my rear pegs still on. The left side peg ripped off on the slide and took a pretty big chunk of metal at the base off with it. I'm not too sure what it is and I'm kinda worried about it affecting the integrity of the bike. It couldn't have ripped part of the subframe out with it right? I was planning on just fixing the rest of the stuff myself, but this chunk of metal would be something I probably can't do myself... :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.