Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Warning To 2009 R1 Owners - Rear Pegs

47K views 175 replies 77 participants last post by  RSD 
#1 ·
Was speaking to Hansdyno today and he asked me if I had received the bulletin from Yamaha about removing the passenger pegs. I told him I hadn't so he proceeded to tell me that Yamaha Germany had sent him a notice that if you remove the passenger pegs, you have to install some type of a bar back in the same space were the peg mounts were. Failure to do so could result in the subframe cracking and/or breaking. They are using the pegs and that cross member between them as part of the reinforcement for the whole unit. Since the undertail is not smooth, I just cut the pegs off and have the base left. I will have this powdercoated black and then remount it.

#137 ·
I hope the washing thing was a joke lol. I ended up in a puddle on the side of the road at 60 mph man... theres bound to be some dirt and leaves hahah. washing the bike wasn't my first priority when i got home.

Well I was thinking maybe just take off the other peg and say screw street riding lol. How would I even go about getting a new subframe/how much would it be?

#144 ·
Well I went to the shop today to order the stator cover and a clutch lever to make it ride able, and the guy said he can most likely weld the subframe... The hole seems like something too big to be welded to me, but I've never messed with welding, just soldering. Any input?

#145 ·
Well if he is confident he can weld Magnesium then why not try it? I personally would NEVER consider doing a 2 up ride on the street again though. I broke and twisted my subframe at the track and was able to fabricate the exhaust bracket myself but that was because in my mind I knew it was only supporting my weight. From what I can tell by your pics your break was in a bit more of a structural location.

#149 ·
Yes Sir! VERY MUCH SO :fact When I was grinding my subframe to install the "home made" exhaust bracket the shavings fell down onto to the towel I laid over my wheel/tire. The second I started grinding the steel bracket and the sparks hit the Magnesium shavings there was a bright light, and warmth on my leg and then my friend screamed FIREEEEEEE!!!!!! :fact

#152 ·
funny I just removed my mufflers (anyone want em?) so I wanted to remove the rear footpegs.......they do look like they would contribute to frame integrity???
I was just going to cut off the actual foot part and leave the undertail section intact...
wouldn't this retain the the integrity of the rear frame???
lucky I read this because I was thinking of removing the whole footpeg assembly...
I'd like to hear yamaha's actual statement ,,,,, where would I find that besides calling the dealer???
which might not do any good,,,, spoke to them about the cam chain tensioner recall and my dealer said no such recall was sent???
but my valves sound really noisy like to much clearance on the lifters.....and I got just over 2000 miles so my tolerances should still be tight....

please some help ***

thanks,, 09' r-1 stock except for HR-1 pipe

#155 ·
hey thanks guyzzzz.....I say great stuff from u bike junkies* Hardrock pipes rock*****
putting on my cans this week sure gonna sound great*******although the music it make now is like angels singing,,, uncapppppeeeedd i cud ride it around all day if I cud only get rif of the cops i'd be set straight pipes r the ay to go when dragggiiiiiiinnnnn down 1320.......
I'm going to switching to the HR-1 pipe and just run a straight pipe about 2 foot long when Im racing got some stock premium fuel and the nos octane booster unless I can get the #16 FUEL FROM ANDY'S SHOP.....

now to get the clutch cover off with out moving anything???? need to look for a little guy in there ,,,he's been making this tik,tik,tik, sound all the time somethings loose or busted,

well thanks to the fine people at this site....aloha and malama the island

hey guys give me your reaction when you run the octane booster in premium 93octane???

#158 ·
It's a highly argued subject.
I think that higher octane fuel will not burn as quickly as lower octane fuel leading to reduced power and excess deposits built up on the backsides of the valves and the combustion chamber itself.

Race fuel is a different story.

#160 ·
time to put mine back on...after I cut them

#162 ·
Diel ,the first thing I looked at before I took mine off was what am going to do with the brake reservoir? I looked on eBay and found a guy that sold a bracket that held the reservoir and the plates and hardware powdercoated. This kit was like $25.00 it fit right back in the holes left from the passenger pegs. I can't imagine removing pegs and not putting any hardware back,and what do you do with brake reservoir? Unless you got after market rearsets.

#171 ·
ok in the three years this stupid ass set up has been out has anyone heard of a subframe cracking from removal of the passenger pegs when riding solo.

I have a quick release set up I did, so I can put them on or off in about a miinute. My common sense says if im riding solo(i weigh 175lbs) then no way not having that bracket on matters. When I put the pegs on the bracket goes on with it so no worries there.

#173 ·
Pic of quick-release set up

What's up VCycleNut, I know it's been 8 mos, can you pleaseost a pic of your quick-release set up. It sounds like a great idea. I ride a passenger maybe twice a year but, it is such a hassle to have to mount the pegs up and I would love an easy solution.
Thanks.

#175 ·
I'm taking mine off today, and I appreciate all the extra bumps since last time I read this thread in January or so. I have a policy of NO passengers, so no need for the pegs, and all they do for me is pose a hazard when I squeeze my '09 R1 into the garage between other bikes. I got a custom-made brake reservoir, and will pass on any subframe brace for now. I have to agree with the tone of the whole discussion being that "no passenger/no brace needed", and it's a legal liability thing that prompted any bulletins. Pegs take a beating when you think about it, as I weigh 185, and I snapped the right driver peg off clean going over a surprise dip at 55mph on my '00 R1 last year. It was the OEM peg; not a Chinese rearset. So I can only imagine what would happen with those long passenger peg arms and no cross brace... Even with a 90-lb passenger. Multiply 90 lbs x the G force of a sudden bump, then factor in the leverage of 8 or 9 " offset, and you probably have 1500 ft-lbs of bending force at the brackets with no brace.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.