Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Warning To 2009 R1 Owners - Rear Pegs

47K views 175 replies 77 participants last post by  RSD 
#1 ·
Was speaking to Hansdyno today and he asked me if I had received the bulletin from Yamaha about removing the passenger pegs. I told him I hadn't so he proceeded to tell me that Yamaha Germany had sent him a notice that if you remove the passenger pegs, you have to install some type of a bar back in the same space were the peg mounts were. Failure to do so could result in the subframe cracking and/or breaking. They are using the pegs and that cross member between them as part of the reinforcement for the whole unit. Since the undertail is not smooth, I just cut the pegs off and have the base left. I will have this powdercoated black and then remount it.

#7 ·
The pegs bolt to the subframe, then the brace bolts to each peg mount. You can't just put the brace because it's a different bolt size and also shorter. See pics.

And yes, not sure why they did this, could be they are just covering their asses because of the magnesium subframe, but I know the r6 also has one.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks Diel..

Stan

#13 ·
Next there goin to start using that mudflap they call a license plate holder for structural integrity lol

#14 ·
I think it's the k7 gsxr1000 that had that problem. People were noticing broken or cracked subframes and if I remember right Suzuki said it was because people were removing the huge mud flaps and it was creating some type of vibration. Too funny considering they sold fender eliminator kits as accessories.

#15 ·
Thats just stupid.. these bikes are designed with the track totally in mind. I just find it stupid they would design it that way.. or atleast not include a bar for support in the absence of passenger pegs.

I cant think of a single race organization that would allow a bike to pass tech inspection with passenger pegs still attached.

#28 ·
:lol:hammer:

#17 · (Edited)
Spies doesn't have one....he sits on the gas tank.

Heard from another friend of mine and for what he says this is Yamaha being pro-active. They found a small crack on one of the subframes so they traced it down to "possibly" being the foot peg brackets. They then decided to notify people. After the whole Suzuki k5 frame thing, I think everyone prefers just coming out and saying something.

I have not heard anything from my dealer or anyone here in the US. This is all from overseas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.