Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 Clutch problem

102K views 427 replies 108 participants last post by  RSA ghost rider 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just had the first service done on my 09 R1. The clutch is now slipping with pull away in 1st gear. It's especially bad when the bike is cold and gradually gets better when the bike warms up but it doesn't completely go away. Yamalube 20W40 oil was used. The dealer will be checking it out on tuesday. Anyone else experience this problem?

#162 · (Edited)
I sent you countless emails for 2 kits, and followed up every second day. You said something wrong with your email for a week but it was fixed. I followed up again with another 4 or 5 PM's to you as well as direct from your website.
I had the money waiting here plus one of the other guys transferred money into my account awaiting your reply, of which I might add I had to refund to him cos you didn't respond.

The issue was you won't accept paypal from outside USA. YOu said you'd fix it, that's what I was following up, and you never did fix it.
So is it working now? Who knows??

Oh and please let me know how is it you ship stuff here quite a bit? What payment method do you actually accept?

This is what I got;
This recipient does not accept payments from non-US PayPal accounts.

Do you have another paypal address or can you update your account?

Just counted the emails I sent on this, seven,,,

#168 ·
kit dont weigh a thing.. less than 2 lbs i believe... its just springs n' 3 discs...

probably wont cost you much to ship..

#172 ·
So I purchased the parts from this kit and had my dealership install. Well I decided to take a gander at it so when I pulled the clutch cover off the first thing I noticed is that the tech didn't alternate the last friction plate. So I dove in farther and come to find out even after I typing up very, I mean very specific instructions how to install the kit. They put the judder spring in upside down. Really, how hard is it to become a Yamaha Tech cause apparently I have not heard or had any good experiences with any work they do. At the same time I had the headlights fixed and they forgot the rubber gaskets under the mirrors. Ok I'm done venting.
Weston I would like to thank you for this fix and keep up the good work.

#174 ·
Got to ask, but why did you type up instructions for a tech to do some work, then double check he did that work afterwards? Why not do the work yourself in the first place?

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking ;)

I agree though, if they can't get that right, which is bread and butter of our jobs, then... Where's my 'foot up the arse' smiley?

#176 ·
i have the opposite problem.

my clutch grabs extremely hard for the first few times when its cold. even after letting the bike warm up at idle to over 170 deg and playing with the clutch in the morning. it grabs so hard the engine dies, doesnt fire back up easily but works fine after about two starts/stopsafter i get moving. the clutch grabbing gets real interesting when the first time every morning is trying to go up the hill in my yard to get to the street and the second stop is at an oak leaf covered intersection....

#177 ·
Time to fix that! One day I was creeping out past a stop sign to look for traffic and my clutch grabbed so bad that it threw me out into the intersection and I almost got t-boned. This is a very serious problem that I wish Yamaha took seriously instead of saying "Yeah we know, just soak the clutch plates in oil for a couple days."

And a side note, letting the bike warm up to 170 doesn't mean the oil is warmed up. The coolant warms up much faster than the oil.

#178 ·
yeah, i brought it up to the dealer i bought it from, he said im riding wrong...yeah...ive been on R1's for 3 years and 25,000 miles, i dont know how to operate the freaking clutch and ive gotten worse at it over time:bash

kinda like the chain tensioner... "its supposed to make that noise", i wonder if they are taught to blame the customer if they dont know what they are talking about...or is that instinct?

#180 ·
OK Without sounding like a total bonehead. I have never experienced taking a clutch apart and I have never gone through something as I did today.
Installing the GMS kit was a breeze. However, the clutch cover will not sit flush no matter what I do.
Lining the pull lever shaft pinion on the inside of the clutch cover to the pull rod bearing that keeps moving around when putting the cover up to it. I get the cover on and the cover does not sit flush. I can move the nub at the bottom of the shaft pinion that sticks out where you attach the clutch cable and bracket to. It moves nice but as I tighten the bolts to spec, that gear cannot move anymore. I slipped the bracket piece over the gear teeth and squeeze the clutch lever but get no spring back being it's too tight.
For those that have done this before, am I missing something here? Does something need to be aligned before the cover goes on. It seems as if the center is sticking out too far and it see saws basically on both ends as if the problem is in the center. Maybe the inside of the cover is hitting against the clutch or a part of it?

What do you suggest I try as I left it for tomorrow, since I'm waiting I took it apart again and let the friction plates soak in oil.

Thanks

#181 ·
Sounds like you're not getting the clutch pull rod into the clutch cover just right. It's tricky, but it goes in. You may have to rotate the clutch shaft a little more so it engages the teeth on the pull rod correctly. Also make sure the teeth on the pull rod are facing the correct direction, which is to the back of the bike. Look on 5-68 of the service manual to see how to line up the pull lever on the clutch shaft. But there's only one way it will go on and the clutch still work.

#183 ·
THATs exactly what i was thinking... old man was showing me on mine... we said fack it, turned it in for salvage as is condition.. its a bitch..

#182 ·
That has to be the problem.
I can turn the rod and feel the cover being pulled to the bike and opposite when I rotate the other way. Maybe it isn't sitting in the splines of the pull rod right, kinda like a jumped tooth?
When I get home, I will be attempting it again with a clear head and thought process. Didn't know it was going to be a tedius job to get the cover aligned right. I'm sure I'll get it, the dealer ordered me the wrong gasket too so I'm just using the old one. Either I crack the cover or get it on perfect, one way or the other, that sucker is getting on there:saw:

#188 ·
#187 ·
we just used sillicone... my old man had it in the shop... i'm sure any self respected shop would be able to recommend something for yah...

worked like a charm...!

#185 ·
LINK and item details on the R1 Clutch Kit from Graves Motorsports. US customers can purchase the kits directly from us online. International customers can pay via paypal or wiretransfer (we use them both daily with no problems). Here is our website's contact form if anyone needs to send us details and what part numbers they wish to purchase.

http://www.gravesport.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update

THANK YOU!

-Shane

Graves Motorsports R1 Clutch Kit

Graves Motorsports WORKS R1 Clutch Kit is designed to get rid of the clutches grabbing or "lurching" tendencies on the 09-11 Yamaha R1.

Kit includes 1 clutch fiber, 2 judder springs along with a set of YEC Race clutch springs. It is recommended that a trained technician install these parts.

FITMENT: Yamaha R1 2009-2011

http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Motorsports-R1-Clutch-Kit.html

#191 ·
The reason my cover wasn't sitting flush was due to my dumb ass not having the plate seated in all the way causing the cover not to fit right. I wiggled it a little and it slipped in. I was getting the cover on right the whole time, the plate wasn't in enough to allow the cover to seat. I get the "Come on man" of the week:dundun:

#192 ·
yup... we have a winner boys.!

now, lets see if it actually starts! :) j/k...

#193 ·
LOL! Thank you for all of your advise, tips, and time.
I took it for a quickie just to feel it out. Clutch lever seems tighter to squeeze, assuming it's the new springs that it came with. I still had some grabbiness but not as bad as it was. I can only assume when it gets warmed up it will be non existent.
I still have some tinkering to do with adjusting it the way I like it.
Thanks again!

#198 ·
I think it's time to install my Graves kit this weekend when it starts raining, and won't be out riding.

Wish kit included a new gasket... have to make a trip the the dealer first.

Adjusting the clutch like the factory recommends does reduce the occurrance of "shudder", from poor launch with low revs, but I hate it adjusted this way. I'm hoping that I can go back to the way I like after installing the kit.

#201 ·
#205 ·
Finally installed my Graves Kit today, after I bought a new clutch cover gasket; p/n 14B-15461-00.

Waited until I had over 4,000 miles on the ODO since I am switching to Motul 300V full-synthetic oil at the same time.
Word to the wise: read the manual and watch the you-tube video before you start.
Everything will go smooth if you do.

I noticed quite a bit of difference in the effort needed to pull the clutch lever after install. Not a problem for me,
since I rode Norton's for years, but may come as a shock to others...

As others have reported, the friction plates seemed pretty dry, except the bottom one, which is replaced in the kit.
I dipped them in a pie tin with a bit of oil before installing, one at a time.
I didn't have time for a proper ride. Can't wait for some good weather.

#207 ·
Did an 80 mile road trip to Santa Cruz tonight. Must say the clutch is smooth as bud'da.
I can't friggin believe Yamaha doesn't build the clutch like this anymore. Why?
Can somebody tell me? Does it save them more than $5.00?:flush:

#208 ·
that rocks mate,

AND YOU SUCK!!! riding to santa Cruz, do you not realize its freakin' X-mas
in the rest of the real wold!!

as far as the clutch... yeah i have to say wtf? yamaha! you had it right on the 07-08, which fack with it,!?? new engine puts out a good deal more HP than that engine...

funny they arent as good at math as the rest of mere mortals :)

#209 ·
Well it WAS 40-48°F, not exactly beach weather... :riding
At least the roads were dry.

Pouring rain tonight. Rain or chance of rain forcast here for the next four days... So I HAD to pop the cherry on that clutch mod....:sneaky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.