Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2009 R1 power commander maps

59K views 209 replies 69 participants last post by  Butts84 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Have just recieved my two brothers carbon slip ons and was wondering if anybody else has tried these cans and what your thoughts are.Am thinkinf of getting a power comamder to go with the cans and to try and erradicate the shocking bottom end throtle response.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

P.S anybody got a map for the twobrothers cans i could try

Cheers

Brian

#4 ·
well guys in standard form the bike seemed very snatchy low down especially into very tight 1st gear hairpin bends seemed like it took an age to hook up power after a closed throttle but after changing to the two brothers cans this does seem a little improved (and also getting used to the bike maybe i was a little premiture in my comments after only having the bike for approx 3 weeks) but still think a PC would improve this even more

#6 ·
Hey guys... Yea my bike isn't fond of low rpms but I have been riding for years and I had an '06 before the '09 and they r just that way. 1k liter bikes r designed for mid to high range rpm. That's y. But I just had a guy custom make me an xhaust and I just got the pc5 so I will keep yall informed.

#9 ·
no it's the new PC V (power commander five) for the new model R1 (like most 08/09 bikes).

has new features etc, but they're half the size of the PC3USB almost, as the underseat space on the newer bikes is shocking after you have an alarm fitted

#10 ·
I'm looking for a map for my north american 09 R1 with Akrapovic slip-ons + cat eliminator pipe but it doesn't exist on Dynojet's site. Does anyone have a good map for this setup? I'm thinking of just using Dynojet's Graves + cat eliminator map for the time being as that's probably a closer match than the standard Akra slip-ons map.

Any thoughts?

#28 ·
No one has a good PCV map for the 09 R1 + Akrapovic slipons + Y pipe?

Really??
I have the Full Akra's + PCV + Auto Tune
I did recive maps from DynoJet but they were not that great. I took it to my dyno guy and had him alter the DynJet map in for me. It was a few more dollars but worth every dime. No more shitty low-end thank god! and it screams for more after 10K. Where as the Dynojet maps killed the power by 15% after 10K to keep the bike under the govener!

#11 ·
No one has a good PCV map for the 09 R1 + Akrapovic slipons + Y pipe?

Really??

#14 ·
I've been running that graves + Y map for my akra + Y setup and its running really rich resulting in terrible fuel economy. I'm going on a fairly long road trip this weekend so I'm probably going to run the zero map so that it runs a bit leaner.

Apparently there's a new Yosh + Y map that I might also try sometime (at least have a look at its table).

#17 ·
No, according to Dynojet they weren't provided with a Y-Pipe for testing. I've just been running zero map lately as it runs fine. Once I get the PAIR system blocked-off I'll take it in for dyno tuning at the same time and have a custom map.

Besides, from what I keep hearing, Dynojet maps are... you know.

#110 ·
Besides, from what I keep hearing, Dynojet maps are... you know.
I have had three Power Commanders on three different bikes. Too many exhaust systems to list and IMHO the Dynojet supplied maps are darned close.

As in any case if you get your bike dyno tuned for your climate, fuel, etc for sure you will be able to get a map that is more dialed in than the off the shelf ones.

Just my $.02

#18 ·
All of our maps are what? I have read this before on other sites and although our maps may not be perfect for your bike they should be pretty damn close. Every map is developed in house by getting stated bike and installing stated components. Just about every map is targeted to around 13.0-13.4 AFR. These maps are developed by the same guys that go to the track for the AMA races and tune all the bikes and in the same manner. Some maps on the site are from local customers and the map is perfect for their setup so should be good for yours also. Granted if your bike is a different state of tune or does not compensate properly for your region then the map may be slightly off. We have done many dyno shootouts all over the place and the guys that have the Power Commander with a map off our site with the same setup as the map states it is almost perfect every time.

#71 ·
Running rich on DynoJet Map

Hi, you sent me a map for my R1 and it is running very rich. About 100 kms per tankful, and bellows black smoke when free reving! and below 6000 rpm it is rough.

Bike has PC V - Two brothers slip ons, K&N Filter and is a european spec 2009 R1 - last Dyno run showed 177 hp max.

Do you perhaps have a new map that you have done for this setup?

Attachments

#21 ·
Ok... So i can use this Map (for the Graves) without any Problem for my Akra Slip-on and y-pipe setup?

I got a European R1...since you differentiate between US and European Models As far as the Maps go on your homepage, will i be able to use this Map without any Problem with my European version of the Bike?

What is the reason why you differentiate between US and European Models concerning the Maps?

#22 ·
euro and US spec bikes (they're different) so they need different maps.

plus in america pump gas is a much lower octane than over here in the UK, plus a lot of other factors as well.

having looked at the difference between US and euro spec maps the US maps just tend to be a bit richer so you should be able to use it with no issues, however I would speak to tech support at dynojet first if you are unsure.

or stop being a tightwad and get a custom map so it's done properly

#23 · (Edited)
easy..easy ...:lol
i dont even have a PCV yet..just gathering information beforehand to be able to have as much knowledge as possible concerning the powercommander.
Of course, getting a custom map would be the best as i hear from most people, but for starters a downloaded map should do it as well...thats why i'm asking.

#24 ·
i installed the PCV and Autotuner on my 2009 R1 with Leo Vince Evo2 full system, stock air filter, plugged PAIR system. Using the map xxx-008 for that setup it ran like crap. The autotuner made it worse. I zeroed out the fuel table and it ran much better. After running the Autotuner on the zero fuel map it now runs pretty good but still gets a little hesitation here and there at constant throttle around 4k-6k rpm. If anyone else has the same exhaust system as me and a map that runs decent please let me know. I will take the bike in for a custom dyno run A/F map soon and see if that fixes it.

#32 · (Edited)
i installed the PCV and Autotuner on my 2009 R1 with Leo Vince Evo2 full system, stock air filter, plugged PAIR system. Using the map xxx-008 for that setup it ran like crap. The autotuner made it worse. I zeroed out the fuel table and it ran much better. After running the Autotuner on the zero fuel map it now runs pretty good but still gets a little hesitation here and there at constant throttle around 4k-6k rpm. If anyone else has the same exhaust system as me and a map that runs decent please let me know. I will take the bike in for a custom dyno run A/F map soon and see if that fixes it.

UPDATE: So I took the bike to Lee's Cycle in San Diego to get the PCV custom mapped on the dyno. I told them specifically that the low end was running like crap and hesitating around 4k rpm constant throttle with the map xxx-008 and my many attempts at tweaking the map. After 6 hours on the dyno I was told that my bike wasn't behaving and it was wanting to run rich and then lean all by itself and they didn't understand what was going on. At the end of the day the manager said he needed to keep my bike for another day to figure it out. He also told me that if they found any installation problems with the power commander caused by me that he would charge me another $100 to figure it out, on top of the $300 that they were already charging for the dyno run. The next day he called me in the afternoon and told me that the bike was done. When I picked the bike up and rode down the street I noticed that they had put over 100 miles on the odometer on the dyno and that it was still running like crap at the low end. I called back and asked the manager if he had figured out what the problem was and how he corrected it. He told me that he didn't know what the problem was, and that he hadn't asked the mechanic, and that it didn't matter because he wasn't charging me the extra $100. I told him that it was still running like crap at the low end. He said that it sounds like something is wrong and needs to be diagnosed for another $100 and to bring it back in! WTF??? Either the PCV has some serious design issues for use on the 09R1 or the guy running the dyno has no clue what he's doing because it's his first PCV or his first 09R1. Probably a combination of both?

PS: After the dyno tune the Auto-tuner was still wanting to adjust the trims by a lot! You would think it should be close to zero!

I will now be taking the power commander completely out and see if it runs better without it. Update to follow...

#27 ·
The Auto tune will populate a trim table. These trims are being used while you are riding. If you want to apply these trims to your base map just hit ACCEPT TRIMS and you will have a new base map. You could at this point remove the Auto tune assuming it has finished adjusting all areas. Or you could leave it on.

#29 ·
You have to plug it up to a computer after every ride to accept the trim table. No acceptance on the fly.....sucks. Great for race days but shitty for street use.

Notice I said ACCEPTANCE. Oh it will remap allday to what is stored on the bike but only for that run when you accepted the trim via computer.

So set up is so improtant for street riders, if you set it up in less than ideal riding climate (temp, humidity, ect.) the bike will run like shit. Only after your run will that trim be avalible to store in the Auto Tune.

My sugestion would be to realy think how much your going to be setting the bike up for riding conditions. If its just a one time thing then save your money, on the other hand if youl ive where the climate changes drasticly(hot, cold, humid, rain...) or ride track or super agressive street then the Auto Tune is a must have

#30 ·
I think you are mistaken. While riding in Auto tune mode the trims that it populates are being used in real time. So if the Auto tune trim table has a value of 10 in a cell it is using that 10 as you ride. If you want that 10 to be added to your base map then you hit ACCEPT TRIMS and now your base map will have the change and your trim table will be zeroed out.

#31 · (Edited)
I think you are mistaken. While riding in Auto tune mode the trims that it populates are being used in real time. So if the Auto tune trim table has a value of 10 in a cell it is using that 10 as you ride. If you want that 10 to be added to your base map then you hit ACCEPT TRIMS and now your base map will have the change and your trim table will be zeroed out.
Hi Dynojetresearch, could you answer a few questions for me please?

After my service (Thus) I fit PC and autotune ( previosly I have had custom maps on all my bikes)

If i'm out on a run and stop for fuel, will turning the ignition off zero the autotune?

I presumably need to block the air admittance (smog system) off?

WOuld I need to plug my lap top into the bike after every run until I have enough info to build a proper table?

Will the bike throw up an error code with the o2 sensor unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.