Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 loud clicking at first start..

84K views 505 replies 170 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
did anyone find a fix for the clackitty clack for the 09
at start up?? it's bugging the sh*t out of me,, I mean it goes away within a second, but embarrasing when around other folks

#84 ·
mhhh maybe if enough people take it in they will do something about it.. mine does it every time still.. and if i rev it to maybe 4k rpm right after u start it.. it ticks real real bad!! did it twice on accident

#85 ·
I've never understood the mentality of reving the bike right after you start it. I've always let it warm up fully before touching the throttle, on every bike I've had, even my kawi which is supposed to have the ubiquitous 'kawi tick' doesn't have it.

#86 ·
Like I said did it twice on accident. It was done at a red light. Light turns green. I turn it on and it did it .. It's been 105+ here for the past 3 weeks. . And it does that after it's already warmed up

#87 ·
Yep, I thought i was the only one with this paint can noise when starting it!! But it only does it when i havent started it for more than 2 days!! weird!! and sometimes when i come to lights or stops, it starts clicking, but not as loud as when i start it..Then I just RIPE the hell out of it on the highway!!! Once i come up to lights after i beat the crap out of it, usually it stops..really weird..but it doesnt do it much( I got about 4100milles) ..Also, Ive noticed that when it does the clicking, its usually right after I do an oil change ( i did it after 100miles/2000m and just did it last week end at 4000miles)..Anybody else?

#88 ·
im doing the first service at 450 miles and i didnt have this noise but what i noticed was some weird noise when i took off sometimes from the clutch , anyone experienced clutch noises on take off>? and i didnt break in the bike per manual instructions but didnt beat it either...any comments on that?

#89 ·
Was speaking to a mechanic at my local dealer and he was telling me that yamaha are looking at redesigning the CCT on the 09's although he wasn't sure about a recall, so I'm going to ask them to replace it at the moment so there is a warranty claim in place for when they have the new type ones come out.

#92 ·
just did my 600 mile oil change today. K&N filter and Redline 20w50...and i heard the clack for the first time on the second start AFTER the change. so oil pressure had already been built up from my test ride after the change. clacked about 3 times and stopped. wonder why, AFTER a change to a slightly heavier oil i hear it now....

#95 ·
1900 miles and clikkity clack

Owned four R1's and never heard anything like this. Right when it starts up sounds like a little trip hammer in the top end for about 3-5 seconds. Making me very nervous, not to mention very embarassed around my bike buddies. :dunno

#192 ·
Owned four R1's and never heard anything like this. Right when it starts up sounds like a little trip hammer in the top end for about 3-5 seconds. Making me very nervous, not to mention very embarassed around my bike buddies. :dunno
with all the new competition comming out i would think the factory would jump rite on top of this.

They can say its normal but every time I start mine because someone wants to hear the "new crossplane sound", a new potential R1 buyer is turned into someone who would not buy one. And then i'm suppost to say it's normal:no

#96 · (Edited)
This is insane

Im pretty new to posting here, but I always read everyones posts to see what is happening. I posted a issue about 2 weeks ago about the clutch slipping bad while the bike is cold. Had to bring it back twice for them to tell me that other bikes were having the same issue and that the clutch was completely dry - not getting any fluid at all - so the whole clutch had to be replaced by Yamaha - as of right now its been in the shop for 2 weeks.

But - I am having the same issue with the bad clicking at startup...I am at 3500miles and still doing the same thing. The tech at the dealer said that this is normal for the R1's but I am not buying that BS.

The dealer had to order a oil regulator saying that this could have also been another issue with no fluids getting into the engine or clutch, but Im just hoping that this bad slipping and ticking goes away or I will be returning the bike under the Nevada lemon law - this is getting to be a big hassle and will be keeping up with everyone else here to see any status report. I will post one when i HOPEFULLY get my bike back 8-14-09.

09' R1

#97 ·
Mine does it aswell, 2500miles on it, only used Yamalube so far, piece of shit that Yamaha havn't fitted a manual adjuster, 10k for a bike that chaps it cunt out on start up is well shit, might trade it for a Ducati atleast you expect shit noises from them,,
How much warranty is on them anyway???

#101 ·
This was my post from a couple weeks ago

"Im having a problem w my 09 R1... I took it to the track and could only pull a 7.287 @ 113.2 mph in the 1/8th. I was also on the road a couple days ago and a guy pulled up next to me on an older model bike 02 03 ish, i couldnt really tell, but he had a girl on the back and we both took off at the same time, i was in second and pulled pretty hard, but at 155 my oil light came on and i couldnt push the bike beyond 159!! He came around me like i was standing still!! This is my 4th R1 Ive had 01, 02, 05 now the 09. It also has a hard time starting up when cold. I have been riding for over 20 years and with this new cross plane crank im not sure if its normal or not. I took it back to Yamaha and they said they are going to look into it. Do you guys think in the 1/8th it should be faster?? Also is there any way that guy should have come around me?

P.S. also it doesnt seem to want to pull up in a wheelie at all....on my older ones they were so easy to pull up and stay up a mile or so."

The end result is the ticking is still there sometimes strong and sometimes not. The dealer said that their tech rode my bike and said "wow its fast" and he couldnt reproduce the oil light comming on or any hard starts.Duh he didnt go 159.. My bike will hardly even start sometimes. Sometimes it feels fast as hell and sometimes it feels like a 600 katana lol. (nothing could be that bad lol) but no one around here knows anything about the 09 in southern illinois and YAMAHA said take it back to the dealer and tell them that YAMAHA said for them to call the tech line. I am going to try my 4th dealer and see if i can get any results. i will keep you all posted. let me know if you have any of these issues...

#102 ·
I blew up my first motor after 4050 miles. Ticking started after 1500 miles. Got worse and worse. On my second motor it started up around 2000 miles. And yes its getting worse and worse. Also my clutch is very touchy when its cold and seems to slip a little bit and under hard riding it makes some messed up noises. However this is only when its below 60 degrees and the bikes cold. Not enough for me to lose the bike from riding.

#103 ·
Well I got 5,325 miles on my 09 and I still have the rattle sound when I start it up, especially after it sits around for a week or two. I also noticed the clutch gets grabby when I first take off also, then its okay. If they come up with a new tensioner for the 2010 model, you can bet ill be complaining before the one year warrenty runs out about the noise and get it replaced.Lets ALL keep our eyes and ears on this one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.