Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 loud clicking at first start..

84K views 505 replies 170 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
did anyone find a fix for the clackitty clack for the 09
at start up?? it's bugging the sh*t out of me,, I mean it goes away within a second, but embarrasing when around other folks

#107 ·
Anyone in australia reported this to Yamaha Australia?

Talking to my local dealer yields no results, my clutch is also very, very touchy when cold and they just said that "yamaha said that's just how they are"

As for the clicking, they just shrugged... Mine does it too, and I'm approaching 10,000km on the clock. Only when cold. Parked on an incline also causes it to do it briefly even when warm.

Sigh...

#109 · (Edited)
hi new to this but have the same noise on start up for 3,5 sec not good only got 1.350 km on it had a 08 that shit it self at 1.300 km head had to come off i was not happy first new bike ever!!!!!!! now got a 09 black r1 1300 km and now clicking at start up new oil 10w50 still the same as when i had 10 w 40 in it talked to the rep and same old story there test ride 09 r1 in the shop is doing it at start up thats only got 800 km on it !!!! now thay say is bleed down of oil from the cct so what now he say you got warranty if any think shit it self thats crap in my book 20.000 grand forclack clack clack at start up on a new bike thats got 1.300 km on it come on YAMAHA FIX THIS CLACK CLACK CLACK ON START UP !!!!!!!!!i must say that there warranty larst time was very good drive in drive out no cost but thay need to get there reps to report it to yamaha there is lots on this page all the same i am from sa

#112 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forums here. I bought my 09 R1 2 months ago. I have ridden an R6 for 6 years and this is my first 1000. I had the time of my life riding this bike for the first 600 miles. Then after the first service it started the cold start click. This noise is driving me absolutely NUTS! I go to two bike nights a week and it is embarassing as hell to have everyone stop and look at me with a look of horror everytime i start my bike! It goes away after 3-4 seconds but it is extremely loud and doesn't sound very healthy! lol I hope they come up with a fix seeing as I got the extended warranty and won't be able to swap it out for a manual CCT until the warranty is over. They tell me it's nothing to worry about at the shop where I bought it so I guess I'm just gonna ride it like I stole it while it's under warranty.

#114 ·
Ok I've worked out how to stop the clicking on startup, Turn over the engine without letting it start for about 1 sec three times with a pause of 3 sec between each turnover and on the fourth let it start. It hasn't made a clicking sound since. What this does it lets the oil pump build the pressure up in the galleries and primes the hydraulic cam adjuster.

It works for me, give it a go guys and report back expecially on cold starts.

#115 ·
tried this way back...didnt work. i did it to prime the oil filter and do cold starts when the bike has sat for a long time. still does it

#118 ·
I'd been getting the lovely paint can rattle on startup, and my dealer said it was fine when I first brought it up at about 3000 miles.

however they've changed their view on it since, and replaced it at the 6000 mile service and wouldn't let me take the bike till they did it so I had to wait a week for the part.

apparently according to the mechanic who's done a few now, the numbers on the part have changed compared to the original item even though the part number on the yamaha EPC is still the same. I'm guessing that yamaha have realised there is a problem and modded it, so there maybe a recall in the not too distant future.

#119 ·
thats good to hear...should i just go ahead and bring the bike in to yamaha? its gonna be awfully hard to prove it till there is an actual recall

#120 ·
I wouldn't know to be honest, but check with you dealer, as mine changed it's stance on it in a few weeks. I'd taken it in for a service and when I came to collect it they told me I couldn't take it as it needed the CCT replaced. A few weeks before when I'd showed them the problem they'd said it was normal and fine.

#122 ·
My machine has been making the same noise. Took it to my dealer who aknowledge that there is a noise that shouldn't be there. They are consulting with the warranty people and are going to come back to me.
Frankly I am disappointed with this situation and am expecting a prompt resolution.

#124 ·
You would seriously change a bike because it makes a little noise wich can be easily fixed.

I personally will not change one of the best bikes on the market, even if I have to pay to get it fixed expecially when its so cheap.

My bike never makes that noise with the way I start my bike, I posted it earlier in the thread.

But I do agree yamaha has to pull their finger out and recall it to make people happy and not ruin their reputation.

Japanese people are so proud of their reputation, yet we have a quirk with our bikes and they won't admit to it.

Darren Hinch use to say shame, shame, shame.
^^^^^^^^
(Australian Current Affair Host)

#127 ·
ive had that clicking noise for a little bit started at around 1000 miles.. but the yamaha guys were at the track for biketoberfest this weekend so i went up there and asked them about it. they said it was just an engine noise and that it would be fine something about it just being a characteristic of the new engine... the rep even said his did the same thing on occasional cold start ups so who knows hopefully its just as they say and just an engine noise

#129 ·
mine has 1350 miles on it and I have noticed it making the rattle can noise a couple of time since Ive had it...I dont really care, I mean it is embarrassing to some extent but really who cares....the bike is a beast and it runs like an F'n champ. ive already done two trackdays with it and im confident that yamaha's are some tough animals. my 05 r6 as had the ever living hell ridden out of it with no maintenance except for oil changes and tires....I love this freakin bike and im gonna try not to sweat the small things about it.

R1 for the win :fork

#130 · (Edited)
Mine has been doing it since I had the 600 mile service done at a dealer. Well a few days ago at 3,300 miles, I changed the oil to Motorex 10w50 full synthetic, filter also, and it's not clicking at all now, even after it's sat all night long. It used to click like crazy for 3-4 seconds even after work (10 hours later). I dunno, but I'm not too worried about it! Still runs like a bat out of hell! I looooove this bike, need tires now though.. :)

By chaveezy, shot with Canon EOS 5D Mark II at 2009-10-20

#131 ·
mine just started tody at 1397 miles....
going to the dealer tomorrow.

#132 ·
I have 7000 miles on my bike and it does it, if the bike breaks then i will demand yam. to fix it, but as a previous post said, the bike rides like a bat out of hell and i honestly dont think i could ever out grow it, did the full exhaust from leo and a bazzaz...yeah i will admit the noise does get people to look at u at initial start up, but hell its a nice ass bike none the less...If anyones bike breaks, or find the fix, let me know till that time, i believe everyone in this forum understands theres a noise!

#133 ·
closing comments?

I had mine in the shop (approx 3800 miles) and was told by the Yam rep "it was normal." Tried to give me some bs about running synth oil!?!??!?! Anyway, obvious there will be a recall??? Has anyone put a manual cct in? They look trick too!!:cool:

#135 ·
Been over a month since the dealer replaced the cct on mine and it hasn't made the noise yet. The dealer i took it to never even mentioned that it was normal. They heard it and said they were replacing it. Can't believe how anyone could say it's normal. Even if this is part of the design, Yamaha has to know that consumers are not going to accept it.

#140 · (Edited)
recall

I also think, given all the posting bout this, people are being relatively patient and content. If the bike wasn't so sweet to ride I would be unhappy, and I'm the worst with that shit. To me it's a small issue that diff needs some official attention by Yamaha....I'm mean come on,,,now that I really think about it, Yamaha HAD to know of the cct prob by the time I talked with them. But I was told BY Yam that they were not aware of a cct noise....:lhumper: I'm just trying to avoid future issues, it's not the type of engine failure you want,,,,esp at speed!!!

#141 ·
I got 6400 miles on my Yellow babby and the start up clacking noise now does it after its warmed up also. It use to make the noise mostly when cold and first start up from over night, not all the time ,but enough to make you cringe! So when are we going to file a letter and send it to mama Yamaha? My warrenty ends in march or april 2010.I didnt get the extended warrenty, I did not get it because I never ever needed a extended warrenty on a jap bike since 1973!But now for the first time im wondering if I should get it when they offer it to me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.