Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 loud clicking at first start..

84K views 505 replies 170 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
did anyone find a fix for the clackitty clack for the 09
at start up?? it's bugging the sh*t out of me,, I mean it goes away within a second, but embarrasing when around other folks

#142 ·
alot of people are making a big big deal out of this, ya it rattles a little bit at start-up but its nothing to panic over. it takes the CCT a second or two to get oil to it, no big deal, no harm, no foul. my 09 R1 does it, my 06 zx-14 did it, my pops 08 zx-14 does it & my 08 kawi concours does it. however i do think that for as long as the various bike mfg's have been building bikes they could come up with a CCT that doesnt bleed off while the bike is sitting.

#143 ·
We may be making a big deal about it, I do agree, but it should still be watched just in case. remember, "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" or is that the cam chain tensioner,LOL.

#145 ·
I agree with you for sure.No other inline four I EVER owned sounded or felt like this bike. Some times I may not ride the bike for a week or two (cause im on my LINER) but when I do take the R1 out for a spin the sound it makes winding it out is well, intocicating! to say the least and im still running stock mufflers! I stll hope they put this motor in the next generation FZ1 though?

#146 ·
next gen

Yeah, I bet this will start a wave with the other brands. Back in 98 when the R1 came out it took the others several years to catch up. So I imagine the next fad will be coming out with other engine configurations....Yam and Aprilia have....who/what's next????

#147 ·
hi had the rep from sa down thay are replacing the cct mine mad the noise at start up some times when hot only ride for 10 min and let sit for 30 mins and would do the clack clack and when it got to 75 temp it would sound like it was trying to jump out a click my bike has only got 1.850km on it i will let you all now what thay find tomoro i would like to see the old one it can not be good for teeth to clack back and forth and i think people how say dont worry its only a noise when it falls a part and dose your motor in !!! well i think you mite chang your mind i will post back tomoro with the news

#148 ·
o wait I didnt realize you guys were talking about just at start up, mine clicks all the time and people try to pass it off as "yamamhas have loud valves" is anyone on here from the connecticut/new york border area, I wanna compare mine to someone elses to see what they sound like.

#149 ·
well had new cct put in bike is like when i got it nice sweet start no clak clak and the tik tik is no more i seen the old one and it is worm drive with spring .. spring keeps it tight to oil gets there and worm only works when motor starts up with oil so i think the spring in the cct had lost it spring so it clack clack well thanks to yamaha drive in drive out all fix thats why you go yamaha is all fix 1!!!! i love this bike is so got bulls i had a 08 but this is so much better well i i can do is put so km on it and see how she go XXXXXXXXX

#150 ·
Cool...Let us know when it starts clicking again :(

#152 ·
Hi guys and gals.
Im in the UK and have an 09 R1. I had noticed this noise from day 1, and as an Engineer for a non Government owned Detroit Car maker (!) had not been overly concerned about it.

A couple of observations/questions:
1) those of you who say the noise lasts about 3-5 seconds - is it really that long or if you time it is it more like 1-2 seconds?
2) This noise is different to the mid flight noises that some of you are talking about right?

I have covered 2.5k on mine, and having just belted it round two track days decided to change the oil again. I put the stock stuff in it (Yamalube in these climes here) and hey presto noise still there - but I wasnt expecting it to go away anyway. What has happened tho is that the noise is damped out by at least half.
Honestly guys, I read that some of you have some bad things going on with your bikes, but the end failures are all varied and in most cases, nothing has broken and the noise is still there. Its a new development and things will go wrong its life.
I agree with the posts that say its just one of those things - I wouldnt agree with it if mine did it for 3-5 seconds tho! I honestly relate it to piston slap in a car for example. Its just the mechanical noises prior to the oil doing its job. Same with the snappy clutch on a cold start - its engineering limitations.
Of course Im probably going to eat humble pie and mine will pop in the morning ( when it will get redded in every gear :) ) but here is a thing - I know personally my local Yamaha head mechanic - sound as a pound he is - asked him - said yes there is a noise, no its not 'normal', but they all do it and quite frankly what is normal about this bike anyway! If it bangs yam will fix it - I dont read anywhere that Yam havent honoured any warranty claims ?
So, here's what I will do - I will remember why I brought it - for some highly illegal fun, especially when the misses is on blob. I will remember to smile when looking at my mates 848 fall away in the background, and I will also remember just how slow my R6 was by comparison. By the time I have done all this the cold start rattle will be no more!

#157 ·
Great post!

Agree totally. And yes mine does it for only about 1-2 seconds....

#154 · (Edited)
^^^ ha ha good post... at first i was kinda worried about getting this bike, but its a machine, it will make noises... there are way too many positives on this bike than for anyone to be worried about some engine noise...

05 is up for sale

#156 ·
I'm sure those intelligent boffs at Yam do some form of durability sign off far greater than we mere mortals can do to the engine. Most cars are signed off at 250k miles for engine and gearbox and thats at cold start right to the reds in every gear! No doubt in motorcycle development they will be doing something similar (not in miles but just as challenging to the lump)

Me not worried! :)

#160 ·
my bike is my life i love it to death my bike was making the clack at start up for 3 seconds and when geting warm say 67 75 it wold start clicking like a sound in a paint tin but its tik was not as loud i have the bike fixed with a new cct and all the noise has gone when i start it up it is so quite the way it sould be as you say it my come back well i hope not!!!!! i love it the way it is proud to start it in front of me mates so go get it fix if you are like me !!! or put up with it ...... but for me i am happy i made a vido and sent to yam rep and thay replace the next day ride in ride out thank you yamaha!!!!!!! i do not have any outher foult with the bike it out rides me 08 by the way it go in to bends and fly out with a rocket up is ass lol i love it and for me a new bike should not clack at start up. the cct is a worm drive cog that works by oil and then a spring at the end to take the slack out at start up when there is no oil it is not pleed down that dose the clack clack the oil runs back down but the spring stays tight so the the chain stays nice tight when you start it thats what the spring is for yamaha have the old cct and the spring is going to get teasted i will let you now ... :jump for now i am happy that she all good and no tik tik lololol:jump

#162 ·
I took my machine back to my dealer after adding another 1000km's (4000 now). The noise is louder and lasts for longer than a few seconds. My dealer here in New Zealand has been talking to Yamaha Australia. They agreed to pull out the tensioner and say that its fine. They also say that the cam chain is fine. They took the engine covers off the right hand side of the bike and have not been able to identify what the culprit is. They are going to look at the AIS valves next. They said they consulted with several other dealers who say they have not had any complaints in relation to this noise. Not sure whats next. I was convinced that it is the cct and that others were raising this issue with their dealers. Obviously some people find the noise acceptable. I'm sorry I don't.

#166 ·
so is there any issues out of this besides the annoying noise? My 09 at 6000 miles has a very minor tick, but it's nothing compared to my 03 SV. That bike has a M4 full exhaust, and on cold startup the CLACK CLACK CLACK drowns out the exhaust. Never gave me any problems though.

#167 ·
The "not a problem" was described in post #43 to some extent, they forgot to mention the crossplane firing order and how that effects cam chain slack. What no one seems to have recognized is the fact that there are periods of higher tension on the cam chain that causes slack on the tensioner side and periods of low tension that creates tension on the tensioner side of the cam chain (while running, typical 4cyliner firing orders have balanced tension on their cam chains and thus do not exhibit this phenomenon).

The CCT is a saw tooth ratching with a hydraulic assist. The ratch prevents it from retracting back to far, while oil pressure keep the tension force correct (when running).

If your engine stops rotating when during high tension period (on the tensioner side), the oil pressure in the CCT will be overcome slowly (sitting for a period of time), the CCT will move back to its last ratchet and lock. No harm, no foul. When you start your bike, to extend the plunger away from its ratchet, it needs OIL PRESSURE, this takes a little time. Once you have oil pressure the noise is gone as chain tension is correct. The noise is from the little bit of cam chain slack and the tight / slack moments occuring as the engine is rotated. This very small amount of slack is NOT going to hurt anything, otherwise all of you would have bent valves the first time it happened.

The morons that have backed out their tensioners to the next ratchet have just added extra mechanical force to the tensioner, this merely wears on the chain guides... Change your oil and filter - you have lots of plastic in it. No different than over tighening a mechanical tensioner, to those of you that can relate to that.

Recalls are for SAFTEY ISSUES, not something that is a byproduct of the unique firing order of this engine, that hasn't cause any failures, let alone one that is only annoying during the first 3 seconds of start-up.

Quit whinning, and yes your local Yamaha dealership has no idea of why or how this engine is making this noise, they are replacing the tensioner just so you will be happy, Yamaha pays the warranty, your noise is gone (until the chain or guides wear enough to allow it to start again) the shop makes money and you didn't have to pay.

Heck there is even a crank position where the valves are neither opening or closing. Sure makes cam removal easy.

Can we stop with the ... it makes noise... already, your pipes are far more obnoxious and for far longer periods of time.

#169 ·
Very informative thanks!

My whinning has now officially been stopped :)

#168 ·
Quite agree with you Emry. My dealer said not to worry and I don't. However, I took it in for a 10,000km service and they called me to say they were going to replace the cct. I said it's quite ok I can live with the noise. They said no it's being done under warranty and the mechanics bike is doing the same thing, so they're going to replace it.
Oh well, that's what you get for being so nice, they look after me hehehe.

#173 ·
Fixed

Well out of annoyance of the rattle and the lack of an after market company to make a manual cam chain tensioner, I made my own. I work at a power plant with a great machine shop so I got some scrap alum. and made my own. I have to trim the adjustment screw done a little and paint it black. Then I will be done. I have been running it in the unfinished state for the last couple days and it works great. No tense moment at start up of hearing the rattle. Although I have become so use to it I still expect to hear it and cringe a little everytime and then the relief of a quiet start. Aaaaahh. Its nice boys, real nice....... Ill post pics after the long weekend when I get a chance to finish it.

#174 ·
Well out of annoyance of the rattle and the lack of an after market company to make a manual cam chain tensioner, I made my own. I work at a power plant with a great machine shop so I got some scrap alum. and made my own. I have to trim the adjustment screw done a little and paint it black. Then I will be done. I have been running it in the unfinished state for the last couple days and it works great. No tense moment at start up of hearing the rattle. Although I have become so use to it I still expect to hear it and cringe a little everytime and then the relief of a quiet start. Aaaaahh. Its nice boys, real nice....... Ill post pics after the long weekend when I get a chance to finish it.
I have a feeling you could make some money here :)

#175 ·
hmmm

Ill take the money. Its not that hard to make. :dollar

Im more dissappointed that I had to to it rather than some company that does this for a living. I called(the company shall remain nameless) but they said they were waithing for someone to give them their factory tensioner so they could use that as a model. Now how much would it cost them to go to a dealership and buy one? But Ill stop my rant there I think everyone knows where Im going with this.

#178 ·
eh

While I think the amount of growth is self canceling, since the motor expands in all directions and who knows by how much. You can over come your concern by setting the tension while the motor is warmed up and then that wont be a concern. They have been making manual cam chain tensioners for awhile and its not for everyone. There will need to be the occasional adjustment but to each there own.
This is how I solved the rattle others choose to live with it, Im curious if the 07-8 will fit the 09 and fix this problem. Although after disecting the 09 tensioner I cant see where the problem is other than maybe the teeth on the worm gear is to coarse causing the tensioner to compress after it is sitting and the initial startup vibration. But that justs a theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.