Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 loud clicking at first start..

84K views 505 replies 170 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
did anyone find a fix for the clackitty clack for the 09
at start up?? it's bugging the sh*t out of me,, I mean it goes away within a second, but embarrasing when around other folks

#4 ·
Nope not under the seat,, from what I've read here, seems like the cam chain tensioner,, just wondering if anyone found a solution or is yamaha going to do some free surgery for us

I have 284 hard driven miles on mine, and mine doesn't do it. How many miles do you have on yours? How did you break it in? (no I am not asking 'how' or 'what's the best way to break it in').

635 on the clock,, broke it in the "not so easy way", somewhat of a compromise between the manual method and dyno method

#3 ·
I have 284 hard driven miles on mine, and mine doesn't do it. How many miles do you have on yours? How did you break it in? (no I am not asking 'how' or 'what's the best way to break it in').

#8 ·
Thanks, fripples...

anyone else experiencing this noise,, rode last night now i noticed the noise more, just doesn't happen at cold start anymore, It's always there, just not as loud as start up,, definately sounds like something is slapping around in there...
12 efen K on this thing hope this is it..

#11 ·
Same here, I changed the oil after a track day and noise is still there. Mainly at startup, funny thing tho NOT every time. Most times is makes the noise like there's no oil there, but sometimes it's fine.
Even after a warm start, say 30 mins cooldown, and it still does it.

#12 · (Edited)
anyone bring it in to get an opinion?? ( I mean they'll just lie to us anyway)
I also changed the oil recently, figured maybe it didn't like the motul that i put in, so I swapped it with yamalube,and it did quiet it down a bit, and shorten the clack on cold start up,, but in the end it still does it, the yami lube is stll fresh, and the clack started when I had 200 miles on the motul,, we'll see what happens when the yamalube gets more miles on it...
do you guys also notice it on decel,, rode with no earplugs the other day and noticed it,,although not as loud, but it's audible enough to piss me off, sounds like a slack/sloppy chain...

any of you guys in the NY metro area?? penn,jersy,conn...would be great to take notes

jst noticed you guys joined in march and april, I'm assuming you got your bikes around then...maybe we got a bad batch of tensioners or something, guys that got their bikes earlier in the year doesn't seem to have this complaint.
so wondering if we are close to each others build # (just a thought)
I think mine is in the 2000's lot ?? I'll look and post it up

#16 ·
I crossed 400 miles on mine, having dumped out the stock oil at 25miles and replacing it with Yamalube 10W40. Still no issues. This past outing I ran it harder than I have before in the upper gears (finally out on open country roads as opposed to looping the feeder roads of freeways). The oil is still mostly dark amber, not black like the stock oil was when I dumped that out. I dunno, maybe there is something to keeping the stock break in oil in longer that it does something? Are those who are having these loud noises ones who kept in the break in oil longer? I have no idea about the weight of the break in oil, my guess would be it would be thicker but I dunno.

#20 · (Edited)
I dumped the break in oil (and filter) somewhere between 200-250 miles
I put motul 10-40 in and when I hit 400 miles (give or take) that's when the
"clack" started,, so dumped the motul at around 550 miles for yamalube 10-40(and another new filter)...... It's actually a little better,, the "clack" is still there, but it does go away faster at cold start up,, but i still hear a sloppy chain on decel..
Still gonna bring her in, just can't get the time right now

#21 ·
2 days of sitting

nevermind, doesn't matter what oil you use...IT STILL DOES IT!!
just went to start her up after 2 days of sitting.... alls the same
my 08 blade is whisper quiet compared to the R1... hear nothing but exhaust note on the blade

#23 ·
HERE WE GO.....................
I called the dealer yesterday to let them know that i have a complaint and would like to bring in the bike, so they asked what's the issue,, and I explained..blah blah blah anyway was told they are going to call yamaha first to see if there's a known issue,, got the call back today and yamaha said that there is no known complaint of that nature, but are curious to know about it..
guess folks that are experiencing this are not complaining about it

#25 · (Edited)
That's about when mine started.
sounds like a quick shake of a spray paint can,, right?
or is yours a different sound

just when i start liking the bike (hated it at first) this crap shows up
really hope it's nothing, just a bit worried that yamaha claims they are not aware of it

#27 ·
The bike is at the dealer,, according to them it appears normal, and didn't hear anything out of the norm,,
dropped the bike off yesterday afternoon, last words was "I'll call you in the morning after i start her up and let you know",, guess he meant morning in europe,, cause 4:30 rolls around and still no call, so I decide to call, tells me he didn't get to it all day, tells me he just got to it about a half an hour ago, and didn't hear anything or according to him "could have missed it" and sarted it a 100 times, and feels that it's normal..
I don't even think it went that far.... so they didn't do dick... except waste my ****in time.. now I have to take more time from work to leave early to pick up the bike on monday WTF now this could have been avoided only if he did what he was supposed to do,, I mean come on.. what's it take to push a ****in button.... this is what pisses me off,, Now that they're diagnosis is normal, and found nothing or even hear a strange noise. I want this on paper.. cause if this was normal I'm sure the entire 09 R1 community would of chimed in on this to say we all have that noise,,ride more worry less...and I have this same concern on other discussions.. and when i pick up my bike on monday it better be just the way i dropped it off CLEAN AND NOT ONE ****IN SCRATCH ON IT or else i will blow up and this time I don't care what the doc says **** anger management
sorry had to vent.... a little

#28 ·
well i was starting to have the same problem... same noise and stuff.. weird clutch noise sometimes to when i would take off.. and then i had a low side at the track.. replaced everything i had to do.. when i started it up.. i heard a stronger clacking noise. took it in and they blew it up!. apparantly my cam chain tensioner completely shattered.. timing was off.. and shattered an intake valve.. warranty covered it.. whole new top end.. been in the shop almost 4 weeks now ..expecting to pick it up this week

#33 ·
"DEALER UPDATE"
forrest G finally heard the rattle-can at startup, again a phone call to me was promised for this Am, never happened, was about to leave work to retreive the bike, something told me better call before I go,, good thing I did, now they heard the noise,, of course you heard the noise dumb ass because you finally started the fu**in thing.... anyway they think it's the cam chain tensioner or something to do with the chain itself,, they're going to call yamaha tomorrow to explain the noise in better detail (thought you called yamaha the other day forrest) I'll have more tomorrow, looks like they want to change the tensioner and see from there.... I hope this is not going to be a 4 week thing, like SoCal

#34 ·
"DEALER UPDATE"
I'll have more tomorrow, looks like they want to change the tensioner and see from there.... I hope this is not going to be a 4 week thing, like SoCal
i would not wish that upon anyone!! crossing my fingers!! for tomorrow!!! mhh finally yamaha will notice this crap!! i see a possible recall.....

#39 ·
Well guys my bike also makes that same noise as you guys explained. I got 2,850 miles and it did it when new and still does it, Not all the time, only once in awhile.I have noticed that if I just start the bike up and not open the throttle at all it doesent do it,but if I mistakenly open the throttle even a micro secound,LOL, it will do it almost every time, hot or cold. Try starting up your bikes and only let the starter do it and do not try to blip or open the throttle at the same time and see if that helps. If this keeps up we are going to have to get a letter written up for the complaint and we will ALL have to send or email it in to Mama Yamaha service reps so they know its REAL. I (we) had to do this on the road star forum back in 2002 because of a tranny problem, Yamaha finnaly fixed the problem , which was a vendor flaw in a clip in the transmission when they changed vendors (between 2001-2002) who makes the clips, not a design flaw like the hd twinn cam 88 engines blowing up cam bearins,LOL So we might have to do a R1 forum complaint? IN fact mine did it today after a hot ride up blood mountian, but I did mistakenly open the throttle slightly when starting it!

#41 ·
We shouldn't have to do any type of special procedure to start our bikes, it should be a no-brainer turn key, watch pretty lights go on, and hit the f**kin button,, This is really starting to piss me off,, 12 efen grand and we have to do a vodoo chant so the damn thing starts normally... so how do we start this complaint?? I have no clue.. and i guess my dealer doesn't either!!!

so again..they said will b done tuesday!!. i called.. now they said..no later than saturday!!! wtf!!!!!!!!!!!It was suppose to b done saturday of last week.. 2 weeks to put an engine together!!!wtf.. it woulddnt even take me that long with half the tools !!!! fu**!!!!!!! i wanna go over and :nforc::nforc: while im :drunk:!! lol...a lil vent!!!
I hear ya on that... and they have one tech on your bike right? what this guys got one arm and missing a thumb on the other?? WTF a seasoned tech can put this shit together in a day + do other routine crap in the shop..
I don't care how busy the shop is,, in my book take care of the guy that just dropped 12k into your establishment... bro this shit keeps up you might read about me in the papers.. man shoots salesman at local dealer while choking the service manager... at the same time... more at 11

#42 ·
Dealing with dealer service departments is the prime reason why I really will probably do the 600 mile maintenance myself and not have the dealer want to cry me a river on why they need to keep my bike for a week to do a stinkin oil change!

Hope you get it sorted out soon. Since the advent of fuel injection on the two bikes that I've owned that have them, I've never grabbed the throttle on them prior to, during or after starting. It's key, watch the lights, hit the starter. I don't even touch the throttle until the bike's past 170 degrees and then I'm rolling off anyway. The only thing mine seems to do all the time is never kick over on the first try, but always fires right after I release, wait a sec and hit the starter again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.