Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Reflashing 09 R1 ECU

30K views 125 replies 56 participants last post by  triplex76 
#1 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Replied to your pm BUSTN.

I think we might be the only ones that do not have the immobilizer. The only advantage to that is usually race ecus will plug right in. Immobilizers seem to freak out race ecus, talking from experience with Hondas, not sure about the Yamahas.

The immobilizer feature is a complete ecu, ignition, keyset thing, plus you need the wiring harness to get it all hooked properly. I've heard of people losing their keys, not having the code provided when purchased new, and having to buy a new ecu and keys.

The thing is, if this reflash works, then everyone that wants their bikes derestricted will still be able to keep everything else, just mail the ecu, get it back, plug and play.

So, is the immobilizer ecu specific? Now, if I went with the euro ecu and immobilizer and swapped later to a race ecu, it would not work?? I love the immobilizer idea!

#17 ·
Hey Diel, if i post you my yzr125 ecu can you put the r1 map into it? I want it to go faster.

#22 ·
This ECU is so much more advanced than the Suzuki it's not funny.
No sheot... Every five seconds there seems to be another barrier thrown up against you guys with this. Mucho respect for sticking with it when many others would have forked over for a Euro setup long ago. I so, so hope you get results with this Diel.

I really, really know very little about the workings of anything electrical but can't 'blank' processors be bought and a complete new ECU made then programmed with only the info needed? It seems like all the info has to be extracted and re-written so is it not possible to start a fresh one?

That's probably made people with even half a clue about electrics laugh but I've often wondered how much it would cost in the bare materials to construct something like an ECU from scratch.

My programminging skills ended at:

10 print mark hates school
20 goto 10

:lol

#23 · (Edited)
ok, i work on this stuff, that's my job, but I'm in the automotive products, basically in my company (in italy) we develope software and hardware and we produce cellular phones, abs car ecu and so on...
basically after you got the cable to connect to the ecu, you need to dump the firmware from it, and here you got two chances.
first, make a small application that loads the boot loader on the ecu and extract the firmware or get a full copy of yamaha suite and work directly on the firmware of the ecu.
if you go for the first route you need to find some good tool used to dump ecu/cell phone/other stuff firmware and adapt it to be able to read and upload the boot loader, BUT you need to know what eeprom is used on the ecu to store this data, without this info you can't do nothing, cause every tool to program/read/write ecu is developed from the same constructor of the memory, so for ST rom there is the ST software tool and so on.
The cpu of the ecu is always blank, it's only a processor and works on the data provided by the sensors and then stored in the buffer (ram).
I don't know how the memory on the yamaha ecu works, but it could be possible there are more than one, one used to store basic info (BIOS) and could be blanked pulling apart the ecu and removing the pad battery so you are in "ready to be programmed" state ,cause, by doing this and if it got a battery as stated, generally when removed it just load the boot loader and put itself in a ready to send/receive data mode, and it's enough to send data using a serial cable just as the ecu arrives at yamaha, and in the same way you can read data, unpacket, work on and resend...simply to say but not simple to do... cause you have to know something about programming and for sure you need the datasheet of the eeprom.as said, there could be another memory (called high memory) that could be not accessible by using a simply tool, where generally the map is stored ... cause bios generally contains only the stakes and the "how to" for the cpu.
where Diel sent the ecu, probably they got the tool to work on the r6 ecu, that could be the same in hardware but different (for sure in data stored) in boot loader and bios and the results could be a smoked ecu!
good luck

#25 ·
i recently depotted an 04 R1 ecu and was able too pick up some serial data off a couple dead end pins from the main cpu but it was pretty much garbled and i couldn't figure out the right baud rate and stuff plus there is no data sheet available for the ecu thats in it atleast with the numbers that are on it anyway. i've got some pics of the ecu itself if anyone wants to see them.

#30 ·
the reason its so much easier on the gixxer is because suzuki are using simple known communication protocols and automotive diagnostic standards.
suzukis got obd (on board diagnostic) plugs in the main harness ,as most of the autoobiles today, unlike yamaha.
that way , the zuuk ecu might be programmed via tools available for the automotive market .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.