Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

PCV Flat spot, suggestions needed please.

31K views 221 replies 44 participants last post by  chrismpero 
#1 ·
Installed a PCV. Installation went smoothly. I have my reservations regarding the TPS crimper, but owell. The very first ride I took after installing the PCV, I noticed a flat spot. I have pinpointed, I believe, the area. It appears to be at ~ 4800 to 5200 RPM. Never had an issue prior to the PCV being installed. The flat spot rears its ugly head in gear 2, 3, 4 at least. If you goose the throttle before 4800, you can roll right through the flat spot and never hit it. If you goose it in that range though = significant stutter. This is turning out to be a problem, as when in traffic, bursting inbetween cars, etc., it turns out that 4800 - 5200 is where I usually am. Is this issue merely a matter of going in and smoothing out the map I installed, or is there another more serious issue? The map I use was meant for Yoshi slipons and aftermarket/stock air filter. Thanks in advance for any help!

#140 ·
I have the Akro slip ons and Y pipe on my 09. I switched to the Yosh slip on with Y pipe map. The Graves map seemed to be way rich for me in Central TX. I even have a K&N too and it was too rich. ALSO..don't forget to check your firmware!!!! Go to website and make sure it's the latest...my PCV came with old firmware. Good luck and get a custom tune for best results :flex:....way better.

cheers

#141 ·
I have the Akro slip ons and Y pipe on my 09. I switched to the Yosh slip on with Y pipe map. The Graves map seemed to be way rich for me in Central TX. I even have a K&N too and it was too rich. ALSO..don't forget to check your firmware!!!! Go to website and make sure it's the latest...my PCV came with old firmware. Good luck and get a custom tune for best results :flex:....way better.

cheers
may switch to that one. I may have to wait till warmer weather to see if its running too rich or a decent day to ride. I'll keep that one in mind though. yeah getting a custom would be the best bet. I looked for the firmware update but I guess I wasnt looking in the right spot. I'll keep looking and go from there.

#142 ·
Ok found the firmware! Latest is 6-29-09 that i saw. I guess I need to download that one?

#143 ·
:) had to go look real quick....Yeah that's it (V0.1.3.0). The old firmware was known to be rich. This firmware update/Yosh map actually helped my cold start ups too. Before the bike would hardly start and would smell of gas....even after warm up the bike ran very rich. Now it's the next best thing before ECU reflash with custom map.....ahhh one day!!!!:sneaky

#145 ·
Did the firmware up date on the big bad R1 with put the yosh pipe and Y pipe combo, I'll have to see how that works but its only 55 degrees here today, tomorrow is 60 so I'll try it out then.

#147 ·
i am sorry if this is a stupid question ... but i did read the entire thread....
so here we go ..
I just bought the racefir growler and pcv recently ... and was wondering what map will do for those setting ?
I have been reading alot of posts ... and ppl were say the flat spot and some other problems and also the black box ... which i think its called the o2 controller ... but in the other thread you mentioned that its better to use the stock one ... so now i am really confused on what i should do, and what map to use ...
The bike shop here dont have the dyno here and even tho they do... they dont have the technique to do it .... so yeah

this is for DynojetReseach ...or anyone who can help me ; ]

Thanksss

#148 ·
Unfortunately I am not familiar with this exhaust on this bike. Their site does not list a Growler for the 09 R1.

We have had very few complaints about the issue mentioned in this post out of the several thousand that we have sold so I would just run the O2 controller and see how the bike runs. If you should have any issues then you can try some of the things that I have mentioned. Contact me if you have any problems.

#149 ·
I'm sure this has been asked and answered already, its kinda hard for me to understand all the electronics lingo.
I was planning to only get the pcv, no at. So if I copy and paste the values given many pages back into the map I choose for my exhaust, this will not be an issue? I don't want any sputtering, just smooth throttle response with no issues. Will it also run rich with only the pcv with leo exhaust and y pipe?
I'm starting to get discouraged to buy a pcv

#151 ·
This unit has been one of our best selling units in 2009 and we have only had a few complaints. Why it is only on some bike I can't say. I would run the PCV as delivered and see how it runs. If you should have any issues then you can try some of things I have mentioned.

As far as being discouraged - At least Dynojet is trying to give you a solution around the closed loop areas while other companies ignore it as they have no clue how the closed loop works. You could do like other companies and leave the O2 connected and you will not have a problem but you will not be able to control the closed loop area.

#153 ·
Thank you for the answers, so now it's becoming more clear as I did some scouting on the Bazzaz as well. So the PCV comes with the 02?
This isn't my first PC, it will actually be my 3rd but the new technology today and the issues in these kind of threads have me asking more questions so I know exactly what it is I'm going to get.
Just bought the link pipe from Solomotoparts.com this morning as they had it for the cheapest and free shipping. Now all I will need to do is search more for the best price on the PCV, Hardracing so far was the cheapest.

From the info I gathered on the Bazzaz, it is a great piece, but I am not the kind to mess with maps when it drops 20 degress or I ride 2000 feet above sea level or if its real humid out. I just want crisp, smooth throttle response is my main goal. If PCV can do that, then it will be my 3rd DJ buy.

#155 ·
I've been happy with my PCV. Just be sure to check the firmware on the PCV when you get it. Mine had been sitting in a warehouse when the firmware update came out I guess. These stock rooms don't update their products so check it. The old firmware had a tendency to run rich from what I hear/read.

#158 ·
DJR, I'm just revisiting this thread since last November and catching up. I'm a bit confused though. Back in November you guys were working on a upgraded O2 controller to fix a hardware bug and were going to ship some to a few people for feedback. What was the conclusion to that? I don't see any final comments on that. Does the original O2 controller still have a bug in the closed loop area? Are there upgraded O2 controllers shipping now? Back in November we were taking the O2 controller out and replacing it with the stock O2 sensor to make things work. Now I see you are recommending people use the O2 controller? It just seems like I missed something between now and then?!?!?

#159 ·
We are still working on the newer O2 controller as stated earlier. We keep learning new things every time we test so the unit has gone thru 4 board changes since the original issue!! It has been very time and cost consuming to say the least! I sent out 3 units to board members well over a month ago and have never heard back!! For you guys that received these units I would love to get some feedback.

#161 ·
We are still working on the newer O2 controller as stated earlier. We keep learning new things every time we test so the unit has gone thru 4 board changes since the original issue!! It has been very time and cost consuming to say the least! I sent out 3 units to board members well over a month ago and have never heard back!! For you guys that received these units I would love to get some feedback.
If you want to send me one I will definitely give you some good feedback. I was actually one of the first ones to find this problem.

#163 ·
Does that mean there will be a Box for a 2 bung setup . Auto tuner and Stock O2 sensor ?

If so , will there be a Box for a single bung setup . Autotuner or Stock O2 sensor program ?

I run the botom end of my maps Zeroed out until 6k revs because of this problem

Im still seeing a lot of residue from the exhaust at start up ..

I was hoping to see a fix soon and be able to get a dyno done at the Dynoejet reps next week . I am calling him ahead of time and asking that he be informed of the situation around the 02 sensor . * crosses fingers *

:dundun:

#165 ·
I think we need a summary of all that has been figured out in the last 9 pages of this thread so people don't have to read all of this, a recap.:) If I understood it better I would do it myself, but I'm confused like many others seem to be also.:dundun:

A set of guidelines / instructions for those who have each of the major setups we have discussed here. For instance, for better results do the smog plate and air box mods prior to trying to get a custom map made for the PCV on a dyno. These are the 3 main setups I can think of.

1. What to do if your installing a PCV only...
  2. What to do if you are installing the: PCV and Autotune...
  3. Lastly, the PCV and Autotune with new O2 controler and 2 sensors installed in the exhaust...
It would be :boobies if someone could do this. Maybe DJR would like to as it is their product we are struggling with and would like to make work. I would like to say thank you to all who have been trying to figure this out and to DJR for their hard work and good communication with us here on the board.:)

#166 ·
Dynojet - I've got problems! I have a 2009 R1 with full Akrapovic racing exhaust, BMC race air filter, airbox mod and Graves smog block off plates. I have installed the us full Akrapovic map, the quick shifter update utility and I have the software and firmware updated as of 5.15.2010. I have calibrated the gears, I've connected the speed sensor to the PCV and I have the quick shifter and quick shifter expansion module all hooked up. I quick shifter will NOT work between gears 5-6 and when rolling on the gas the bike feels as though it has traction control fighting the bikes forward momentum. It's strange. I need some assistance asap. I've been on the phone 8 times this week about this and I'm starting to loose my patience and cell phone mimutes. :) I know you guys will resolve it but I specifically called and asked if these issues had been resolved and I was told emphatically "YES". I really don't have time for this and honestly the fueling with the O2 sensor connected and no PCV was WORLDS better. Please help!

#167 · (Edited)
I'm going to revive this thread because according to DJR, they have been shipping this "NEW and IMPROVED" 02 controller for a month now, has anyone gotten any official word from this? Here is a quote I found from another posting where a PCV owner was upset that his system was giving him issues,

DynojetResearch said:
Twiztidr1 - New controller has been shipping for almost a month now. Have sent several to customers and all have given me positive feedback.

#170 ·
I'm going to revive this thread because according to DJR, they have been shipping this "NEW and IMPROVED" 02 controller for a month now, has anyone gotten any official word from this? Here is a quote I found from another posting where a PCV owner was upset that his system was giving him issues,
Chaveezy, sorry you havent been helped on this, you were the first to figure out how to get around it and you even helped me out with some questions regarding this.

I did recieve the new controller, I did however have to make a post in regards to my dissatisfaction with my pcv, but in all fairness to dynojet, they did have me send in my old one and i did recieve the new one within a couple days of dynojet recieving my old one. total time about 10 days. at no charge, as for now it does seem to have helped the stumble issue i was experiancing.

Im still kinda confused about one thing dynojet, you had me do 0 and 8s in certain ranges, the ranges with the 8s, wont the auto tune try to fix those areas? and was I supposed to do anything with the a/f tables or leave them alone?

#168 ·
Not sure how I "shat" on our customers as you so eloquently put in another post nor know how I could of stayed up on who has had the problem and who hasn't. When I first had prototypes to test I sent out 4 PM messages to guys that were posting about issues and never heard back but from 1. I have sent out other units to customers who have contacted me thru the PM system. How is this not taking care of the customer?

As far as going with another system please do so. They do not even recognize that they need to disable the O2 sensor on this bike. Maybe we should just play ignorant and ignore the issue instead of spending thousands of dollars trying to come up with a solution for you guys.

#169 ·
My big concern is that there was no announcement, so when a customer complains about your system, you respond basically telling him that a new component has been shipping for a month, where has he been? I'm on this forum daily, I didn't know about it either?!

From a business aspect, comments like yours probably aren't very advantageous, plus I'm sure you would have a lot more PCV owners if this problem was properly addressed. I'm just saying....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.