Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recall On The 09 R1

89K views 416 replies 110 participants last post by  cyclepsycho7 
#1 ·
Has any one in the USA had there dealer contact them about the projector head lamps on the 09 melting holes in the fering's below the lights? Mine did here in Australia, I said "no I don't have any melting in mine" but when I got home and had a close look sure enough there was 4 small melted spots. Yamaha is replacing it and fixing the lights, I was just wondering if it was the same over there.

#2 ·
huh?? are they recalling all bikes or just going to fix the ones that hit them up about it?
i've done 10K kms on my 09 R1 and wash my bike regularly so i usually notice anything that's wrong... hopefully not something i need to worry about
but thanks for the heads up i'll keep an eye on it

#4 ·
Post up some pictures of your damage. Sounds like it could be an expensive fix for Yamaha if a full recall is issued. There may be a service bulletin out on it.

#5 ·
Off topic but......

I've seen the word "fairing" mis-spelled as ferring or fering on all sorts of messageboards and I'm just curious, are people really mis-spelling it or am I wrong and it's simply spelled differently in other countries.

Like in the US we spell it "color", and often times I see it spelled "colour" in other countries.

#13 ·
No I think it gets melted by the sun being focused through the head lamp, like a magnifing glass. I'm not too sure what they do to fix it but i think it is something like a sticker that go's on the under side of the head lamp to block the light from focusing.

#12 ·
Glad you brought it to everyones' attention.

My bike has 950km on it and I can already see melting spots on the black housing of the lamp and the fairing below it. The housing and fairing is melted both sides.

I might have to raise this issue with the dealer when I bring it in for its first service.

#35 ·
i just checked mine.. and it has scratch like / melting marks under the lights... mhhh.. idk.. kinda looks melted.. kinda looks like rock chip?? but right under the light no where else.

#39 · (Edited)
Yeh, it's one of those things that's going to happen eventually. One day you'll park the bike in a certain position to the sun and it's going to melt the plastic. You'll probably never notice it when it does happen unless you check it every time you stop. Anyway, I hope Yamaha finds a fix for it before it damages more bikes. I think all they have to do is put a reflective strip under the headlight. And I hope they check the fix first to make sure that it doesn't reflect on something else and cause another problem.

#40 ·
I have it to now that some has pointed it out, were I did work they have a 2010 R1 on the floor and if you look at the bottom of the headlamps there is like a frost on the bottom of both lights, you have to see it for your self so maybe they are aware of it now and thats there fix, check it out and when I saw that I asked myself but now I think I know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.