Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 R1 jumped time...pos CCT (pic)

33K views 103 replies 45 participants last post by  Monster R1 
#1 ·
i know a LOT of talk about the shitty cam chain tensioners...and most know i do a lot of engines so i thought i'd show a pic of one that failed on a 2009 R1..

here is one a kid brought into us that was bone stock, 1,200 miles on it...riding it on the freeway...downshifting off ramp (he races too and is not an idiot/hard on bikes) downshifted to 2nd coming to the stop and "clack clack" shut her off...brought to us, we heard it and stopped INSTANTLY...pulled valve cover (again new never touched bike) and the intake cam was 2 teeth forward from stock!

We were gonna build his bike anyways for racing, so now we just started it a few months early....but here is proof the tensioners do not work well...

Pulled head and here's your proof yamaha... sucks.

(yes its a mess...this was the second we pulled head off to show customer)

So come on Jay @APE finish up those tensioners!

See less See more
#46 ·
...there's no way you can tell me the noise I heard, just a few rides back, is 'within normal' cct noise :no. This time it sounded as if the f'n chain was blown thru the cases!!!! I've been living with it for 7k and it will progressively get louder with time. BUT, that being said, the cct slap doesn't happen at cold start up as mileage builds. Now I've noticed that it happens after a good ride, the bike sits for 1-2hrs, then fire it up again. Seems to me that it's the oil prime section of the cct that sux. Bike runs strong and I love it, but I am keeping a close watch. I also think that if you break your engine in properly (please don't read the manual on that), I believe the cct can't handle a good bashing. :flush:

#47 ·
thors hammer, this is corect in the case of the traditional in line four. on the cross plane crank however the speed of the crank varies due to the uneaven firing order.(thats how you are able to apply more throttle earlier in the the turn.) this hydro cam tensioner works the same way all hydro ones do. the hydo cam chain tensioner is not that complicated it just uses fluid which is not compressable as a way of applying psi instead of a spring loaded one.

#49 ·
Hydro CCT.
As long as the clicking goes away within 2 seconds, you're good.
Ok CCT:
- Clicks on start up for less that 2 seconds (pressuring up)
NOT ok CCT:
- Clicks more that a couple seconds on start up.
- Clicks at any other point after startup

Make sure you are using the right Oil.

My 09:
- Clicks at start up
I race it, ride it as hard as I can when I ride it on the street, bounce it off the limiter (which is 15k thanks to me flashed ECU), and it still runs like a champ.
My warrenty expires on the 17th, lol. It may break on the 18th (dyno day).

#51 ·
Maybe we have to go the toyota route and wait for catastrophic failure to get them to do a recall.[/QUOTE]

:lhumper: I agree. Tuff point to be at with this type of thing.... not enough to worry about, for now! Mine runs awesome too, but I know when something doesn't sound right. Last time I felt this way about a sound my bike was having a total topend rebuild....warranty on my CBR600. I will not be surprised to see a recall. COME ON YAMAhammer, it's just a simple cct recall....harmless. Part is $185, two bolts, 30min install for a tech. To me it's at least worth looking at....my dealer even heard it, did NOT even pull the tensioner off to have a look (bike was at shop for 1 week too), told me not to worry,,,if it blew I would be covered!!!!!!

#52 ·
Nope im not buying into all this cct talk, its a good read but there are to many variables going on here with the OP. again why wasn't the bike with "only" 1200 miles taken back to the dealership for repairs? wouldn't you want the selling dealership or an authorized yamaha dealer seeing the damage done to this motor & reporting back to yamaha corporate? then there are things like how was the bike really rode, or how was it broke-in etc etc. the only thing i will say is some engine's fail, most dont but some do, iv seen zx-10R's over on 10R.net that have failed, iv seen gsxr's fail so it happens to all brands. also my 09 R1 has a quik clack @ cold start-ups, im not going to worry unless it goes to doing it full time which then i can say hey i think i have a problem.

#54 ·
I took this pic @ an airshow (offutt afb neb) we were @ lst summer, i cant get enough of a p-51 mustang, right after i took this pic they fired it up & taxi'd away for flight, talk about goose bumps man!!! anyways you know the last 3 trucks i had have rattled @ start-up too, its just not motorpickes that do it. i think building these engines as light as they do & the materials used in them your going to hear some noises.

#55 ·
NEW CCT is out.

I'd give my left nut to take a ride in a P-51 :saw:

I just talked with a friend who is GM at a Yamaha shop. He said the 2010 R1 has an updated CCT that will bolt right on to the 09. He claims it is new and improved. Also told me it was to address the clackity clack. I will look into this more tmrw,,,we did not have alot of time to talk originally.

#56 ·
I'd give my left nut to take a ride in a P-51 :saw:

I just talked with a friend who is GM at a Yamaha shop. He said the 2010 R1 has an updated CCT that will bolt right on to the 09. He claims it is new and improved. Also told me it was to address the clackity clack. I will look into this more tmrw,,,we did not have alot of time to talk originally.
keep that info a comin please

#61 ·
Yamaha has a new cct which will be available shortly. For those do it yourselfers thinking of replacing the the oem one with a manual one like the one from APE I would not do it yourself. It is not as simple as it looks. There is a service bulletin I saw that would make me nervous thats why I am going to have my dealer install it

#62 ·
Do you have a copy of the bulletin?

#65 ·
Mine started making that clatering noise at about 2500 miles I've got about 5000 miles now. I didn't like it when it started and I don't like it now. But if yamaha or APE is coming out with something that works and is better what does anybody have to loose other than a couple hundred bucks.

#77 ·
right....I mean look at Aprilia. They don't like it, but made it happen. Plus it's more labor involved on the recall than a simple cct install!!!!! Part# may still be the same, but sources say a new one is coming. Like I said in the other thread, I will start asking for more answers when I go in tmrw.
....keep ya'll posted

#78 ·
ok. So I was out in the garage cleaning and lubing the chain on the bike today and I was moving it back into the corner afterwards and let it run for a lil bit....and on the rightside fairing maybe about halfway down...almost even with the flushmount but towards the back I heard a click...clickclickclickclick...click..click etc etc you get the idea.....Im not sure where the chain tensioner is located....could this possibly be the culprit for this noise? are dealerships ok with replacing this part under warranty or are they saying NO to a lot of people?

#79 ·
great info here guys, but i would like to add mine it totally fine. if it does blow up its a good excuse to rebuild her to 180 hp anyway.

I am going on the basis i bought the 08 cbr and it was ****ed so i dumped and now i got a lucky 09 r1, oh yea.

#83 ·
I've seen the adv of breaking them in on the hard side. Use to see it all the time on the dyno and talking with the owners. Compare same bikes, same mods, with different owner break in routines.
Didn't think a cct would be, but I broke her in harder than my friend, who does the "OEM recommended" 600 mile thing, and his bike has clattered on him like once and it was very mild he said. Not worried, bike still rocks, and the new cct will be out soon enough. :sneaky

#85 ·
Mine is getting worse by the day!!!

Killing me here in Daytona embarrassing...

#87 ·
Sounds like the cct to me. It's the little 2 bolt nipple attached to the outside right cylinder, can't miss it....and it's prob the noise you heard,,,sorry. It's not a big deal, but it should be taken to your dealer....log the complaint, that way if/when you are out of warranty Yamaha will most likely still honor the repair later.

Yamaha is aware,,,,read:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4323209

#91 ·
been reading the whole thread. was just wondering where the placement of it was. I've never torn apart an engine so I dont know where everything is located. thanks though. maybe ill hit up the dealership this weekend

#90 ·
I agree, some of the cct noises are probably totally fine. But I think that some of us are getting worse as the miles rack up. Mine clatters so bad you think it is jumping time right there!!! And it's NOT the engine running or some shit,,,I know when something sounds wrong. I just hope everyone doesn't think they need the repair just cuz of a small tick here and there and start a panic :scared

#93 ·
HAHA well ive got a couple dealerships to go to. sadly the closest one is the one that told me they were not aware of any 5K bog issue on the 07 ECU and wouldnt do anything to fix it. So im sure they wont be much help....but the other dealership may be a lil more helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.