Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09 R1 jumped time...pos CCT (pic)

33K views 103 replies 45 participants last post by  Monster R1 
#1 ·
i know a LOT of talk about the shitty cam chain tensioners...and most know i do a lot of engines so i thought i'd show a pic of one that failed on a 2009 R1..

here is one a kid brought into us that was bone stock, 1,200 miles on it...riding it on the freeway...downshifting off ramp (he races too and is not an idiot/hard on bikes) downshifted to 2nd coming to the stop and "clack clack" shut her off...brought to us, we heard it and stopped INSTANTLY...pulled valve cover (again new never touched bike) and the intake cam was 2 teeth forward from stock!

We were gonna build his bike anyways for racing, so now we just started it a few months early....but here is proof the tensioners do not work well...

Pulled head and here's your proof yamaha... sucks.

(yes its a mess...this was the second we pulled head off to show customer)

So come on Jay @APE finish up those tensioners!

See less See more
#96 ·
Call Yamaha customer service and ask them why your dealer is unaware of current issues. That normally kick starts the dealer. But maybe if your dealer does not care, you need to find another dealer, survival of the fittest. But let the general manager / owner of dealership know why you are going somewhere else and how much potential $$$ loss they might suffer. When a quick call and a little homework might allow them to become a better dealer.

#97 ·
r1 09 cct failure and damaged engine pictures

hi
i will post pic.of my engine soon. I think yamaha has a big problem the must repleace this cct asap because it should cost them a lot. A new cyl-head and crankshaft with case are very expensive. myabe yamaha is waiting when warranty of most of the bikes will expire :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.