Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New CCT on 2010 R1

65K views 429 replies 105 participants last post by  One-ops 
#1 ·
Just got word from a GM at a Yamaha dealer. He is an old friend who sent me an email about the 2010 cct. He indicated it is improved and will fit the 09 (of course). I will call him tmrw and post more then....:crash

#35 · (Edited)
i wouldnt have them replace something that has an identical part number anyway. If it was sounding so bad i could see it. but dont rush out to the dealer to get this replaced if you arent even hearing a problem to have it swithced with one that might have the problem. If this is has any truth to it.

i called my dealer and he had no idea, and if there is a tech manual release you can get it on the web, or u can call yamaha and have them give u a copy. otherwise they dont exsist because the make it public info so they cant be held liable. thats why they replace the parts in the first place.

#38 ·
just called 1 of the dealerships near me. said they had a couple R1's brought in about it. but they haven't had anything passed down from the top of the ladder to them

#39 ·
ok...called the other dealership. THEY ARE AWARE. They did have the class. yamaha is aware. But he said he has not had any word about an actual fix being released as of yet. He said it will most likely still be the same part number but just an updated part with the bad part numbers being tossed out.
Said after 1 year your outta luck in most cases. its on a case by case basis. I asked him if i had a ticket written up at a dealership about it would they honor after a year if the new part takes that long to release. He said with yamaha knowing their is an issue he doesnt see why they wouldn't honor the fix at no cost.
He did go to the class about it but is still awaiting word. Said the forums tend to get the info first before it gets handed down to the dealerships. I'll keep people posted on my end as this guy seems to know what hes talking about.

I beleive his name was Alan at the dealership in west fort worth. website is yamahasuzukiwest.com

#42 ·
I feel bad for some of you guys, I called the dealer i got mine from and asked flat out about the cct, they said they are aware of the issue and have done 7 or 8 of them, told me to bring mine down and they would warranty it out no questions asked.

had mine done 2 weeks ago, noise is gone.

Sounds like some of these dealers just dont care.

#44 ·
I just called another dealership in Queensland Australia who claimed they were the leading workshop in australia... he knew of the issue but proceeded to state that Yamaha australia is not taking any action at this stage in regards to replacing the CCT under warranties. :scared:nforc:

so i guess we stay behind the rest of the world as usual... when they decide to do something most bikes wil be out of warranty i guess. this is typical of the good 'ol Aussie "She'll be right mate... NO WORRIES" :no

#121 ·
It is replaced under warranty mate, I've had mine doen already (6,500)K's and it's already starting to make the noice/rattle again (6,850)K's.

I've spoken with my dealer and they rang Yamaha while I was there. Yamaha did the whole "It won't cause any harm to the engine" thing which is bullshit as my mechanic has stated. They need to get off thier arses and fix it, word of mouth is a killer of bike sales

#48 ·
hi fellas im having this issue with mine here in the uk my bike has about 1800 miles on it,my local dealer said its normal dont worry about it,so i rang yamaha and the tech guy said its normal too but if you want it changed ring your dealer and tell them to change it,BUT the new part will eventually do the same thing,he said as long as it goes away after initial start up it'll be fine (ie when the oil pressure gets up. ) so i think ill leave it for now.

#51 ·
I just put a call in with my dealership, they have constantly avoided this issue with me and out here in Hawaii we only have one place that does Yamaha. They are currently "looking into it", but they've told me this before and did nothing. They keep telling me, "Oh Yamaha currently isn't doing anything about it". Even with the tech update manual, whatever, I know it's not going to hurt anything, I just want to stick it to the man.. LOL

They said they'd call me back tomorrow so I'll keep you all updated..

#53 ·
My dealer has heard of it and is now aware of it thanks to the pdf in here and was able to show him. I have the same as most of you in here, "he is looking further into it" So I haven't heard anything back yet.
Mine doesn't make the noise yet, but my warranty is up in May and wanted to get the ball rolling. If there is a replacement part I want in on it before I have to deal with the same rocks in the hub cap noise

#56 ·
I printed out 3 copies of the attached PDF to take to the dealer that "has not heard of it" ...even though lots of the employees go cover shifts at the "sister store" that does have record of the issue

#58 ·
I called my local nutjob Yamaha dealer and I must of gotten someone else on the line, because while they said that hadn't heard of the issue, that they would be happy to check it out... I told him about the 2010 Tech Update and he claims they are online now. He said he was going to call Yamaha on Tuesday to get some more info for me. I'll keep you guys updated.

#59 ·
Any updates pertaining to the CCT?

#60 ·
yo new to the forum , 2009 r1 . Pissed right now at my dealer the tellin me this rattle is common n im sure yamaha is tellin them to say this crap, all i can say is it wasnt doin it when i bought it last feb i have 7 thousand mile on it and it didnt start till about 3 rides ago and just like everyone else sounds like marbles for 2 seconds after WARM start up dont notice it when cold seems like it should be the other way round to me . its almost like the engine is warming up and getting the chain loose and the cct isnt doin what its supposed to do im on board for yamaha to send a recall just way to many people haveing problems , the bike is awesome no doubt smooth and sleek but why is taking so long for this problem to surface cause honestly right now everyone i talk to who was gona get the 2010 say there not buyin something that rattles and i dont blame them something needs done quick.

#65 ·
mine doesnt make the clank noise at startup, but it is starting to sound alittle differant during cold start ups. plus i here a tap when the bike is at idle, its very faint and probably has to do with the slack occuring from the lower oil pressure.

I put a ape manual on it, not because i think its a problem, but more to do with auto cct's anyway. had a 07 gsxr 750 that bent rods when the chain jumped due to cct.

good to hear yami is working the issue for everyone else though.

#66 ·
Quick butt in here,,, Just got mine back from unshedule service for a miss at repeated intervals,,The cam chain had jumped a tooth, the bleed back of the cct (rattle can start) was the cause. First case they had seen with the tooth jump, Just to let you know it has happenend and I expect we will see more until the redesign comes along.

#68 ·
Jumped a tooth?

Reaps ,
This motor is known as an interference motor , meaning that if the cam chain jumps a tooth it willl cause piston to crash into valve. Did this happen to your bike?I do not understand how you would just get a skip and not total top end destruction.Someone else on another forum stated that is what happened to them , total top end destruction.Please explain what happened further.

#72 ·
Reaps ,
This motor is known as an interference motor , meaning that if the cam chain jumps a tooth it willl cause piston to crash into valve. Did this happen to your bike?I do not understand how you would just get a skip and not total top end destruction.Someone else on another forum stated that is what happened to them , total top end destruction.Please explain what happened further.
im not 100 percent here but im pretty sure one tooth would not def mean engine destruction. zero tolerance or interference motors usually need 180 degrees out of tolerance to have that happen. if the belt or chain breaks, or skips a few teeth then yes your 100 percent correct.

i am not speaking in direct terms of this motor, as i dont know for sure.

i have also heard this problem destroyed a few 09 r1's already.

#69 ·
I have to admit. I got squidly today. I had my jacket and boots and gloves. But just needed to go 3 blocks down the street to the quiktrip to put air in my tires. So I went without a helmet. seeing as how it would have taken me longer to put it on then it would to drive there. and holy shit....being out in the open I actually got a better listen at my engine at higher rpm then idle. and I will be taking it to the shop to get them to write a ticket on the CCT. that thing sounds horrible. And of course at the gas station I run into a couple guys at the air pump that jump out of their car and jsut start talkin bikes and they start drooling over the R1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.