Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New CCT on 2010 R1

65K views 429 replies 105 participants last post by  One-ops 
#1 ·
Just got word from a GM at a Yamaha dealer. He is an old friend who sent me an email about the 2010 cct. He indicated it is improved and will fit the 09 (of course). I will call him tmrw and post more then....:crash

#71 ·
on the bike. its about 3600 miles. the guy at the dealership thats Ive dealt with for 4 bikes and my dads delt with for 2 bikes has already ordered the "fix kit" for the headlights.....they melt the plastic underneath. evidently they act like a magnifying glass in the sun. Im gonna try to go talk to him tomorrow and get a ticket written up about the CCT so I can be sure its gets fixed once a fix is out.

#73 ·
Cct

Just spent the day talking with Yamaha abot the 2010 motorcycle/scooter updtae that states a new cam chain tensioner is being designed with Jocelyn.She states that they are desinging a new part and they know when it will come out but she cannot tell me when because it is a proprietary information and she cannt tell me until the dealerships are notified.Other words she wont tell me.BS , I dont like companies that behave this way after I purchase a vehicle and then act sneeky about the fix for it. Al I wanted to know is when the new part was coming out.I have heard of two documented engine failures from this so I am a little concerned that the only fix is to replace it with the same part that will do the same thing within a few miles.Thanks Yamaha.

#74 ·
Just spent the day talking with Yamaha abot the 2010 motorcycle/scooter updtae that states a new cam chain tensioner is being designed with Jocelyn.She states that they are desinging a new part and they know when it will come out but she cannot tell me when because it is a proprietary information and she cannt tell me until the dealerships are notified.Other words she wont tell me.BS , I dont like companies that behave this way after I purchase a vehicle and then act sneeky about the fix for it. Al I wanted to know is when the new part was coming out.I have heard of two documented engine failures from this so I am a little concerned that the only fix is to replace it with the same part that will do the same thing within a few miles.Thanks Yamaha.
who is jocelyn and was this a dealership or yamaha customer relations just curious , sound like half way good news anyway thank homie

#75 ·
New cct

Jocelyn is the rep that the first rep at Yamaha customer service in Cypress Ca. turned me over to.I mentioned the update to Craig ,the first rep , he put me on hold , then he came back on the phone and said that Jocelyn would be joining is on the phone to discuss this matter.I explained that I had been to my dealer , Libby's Motoworld in New Haven , CT , and the service manager , Joe Malia , had called Yamaha in Wisconsin , to attempt to get a part number for the updated cam chain tensioner.I had a copy of the 2010 Technical update for Yamaha Motorcycles and scooters which outlined the problem with 2009 Cam chain tensioners as a tech tip update , this is not out on computer yet because it was part of a March Spring Yamaha Seminar for Yamaha dealership technicians only.Jocelyn said she was aware of the problem but would not tell me the eta for the new part.So , I went to the dealer first and then called customer relations when the dealer did not get an answer .All in all it was a big circle jerk , disappointing , since i love the bike but I feel Yamaha has dropped the ball with this updated part and easing our minds with this obvious design flaw that coul have been kandled much better on all levels.

#76 ·
To be honest I'm actually kinda surprised this is all they've had problems with. Yea I understand yamaha is said to be known for it's craftsmenship by some, but no recalls on a BRAND new engine design on a new platform also? I kno my buddy has brought in his Duc a few times as well as his Harley (obviously no surprise there) and my other buddy brought his cbr in a few times when it was new ('07) I know there is an issue with the cct and I feel there should be a recall of some sort. I'm just surprised there hasn't been any other sort of issue with these at all

#77 ·
Has anyone else heard that the real problem is that the cross plane crankshaft on startup causes a tremendous amount of stress on the Valve train and the noise that we are hearing is the vibration though the chains when the cct is not fully pressured. Also that the only real fix is a redesigned head hopefully for 2011. The reason I ask is a local shop called a friend at Yamaha and they told him this right in front of me. I truly hope this is not the case and if it is, they should recall it. I have a feeling that they are not going to honor it if this is the case. Any thoughts???

#78 ·
I would show alittle patience. Most recalls dont happen within the 1st 12 months. they are making sure the recall will actually fix the problem. I know this sucks as the consumer, but honda wound up putting lifetime warranties on there oil burning engines i heard.

Also i doubt it is the head that is the problem since many bikes (including mine dont have the problem). Also Auto CCTs fail on all types of bikes. I had a 07 750 that threw a rod due to the CCT and nobody had the rattling on start up issue with that bike. That is just a side effect to the hydralic CCT's. Big reason why most race setups use manuals only.

In reality it is a very very small problem for your bike to have. 50 bucks and ten minutes to put a manual on if your that concerned. You just need to know how to turn a bolt.

way better than gasket, frame, electical, stator, tranny, clutch issues.

#80 ·
If the chain jumps one tooth will the engine continue to work or is it going to stop? I've experienced some engine rpm choke at idle, for about 0,3 seconds. It's maybe just a feeling, but the throttle response feels a little delayed. I'm seriously concerned. I have no warranty and I don't want to destroy my bike...

#81 ·
cct

Reaps from Austraila , stated he hasthose same issues , look at hispost on the "clicking noise at start up" thread.His was said to be one tooth off , he let it go because the dealer said it was okay , but he ended up frying his whole top end.If I were you I would go to the dealer and show them his thread and have them check the cam and vlave timing and replace your tensioner with another new one of the same design until the new one comes out.

#83 ·
When my engine fails due to CCT failure I can only cry as a baby;/ What Reaps wrote aobut his experience when the chain skipped one tooth calms me down, because I don't experience any of this, especially no missing at 5k and above. The bike runs smoothly etc. The throttle response may be tied to PC V or something else. But to be honest I'm really scared to use my bike like this. If it skips a tooth I'm f....! I just read another thread where it happend at 5500km. It's exactly how much I have today on my bike... I'm thinking on getting a manual cam tensioner, at least till new one from Yamaha comes out.

#85 ·
went to drop the bike off yesterday at Yamaha of Texas to get the headlights fixed (the magnifying glass effect it has on the lower plastic) and spoke to Cain the guy I've always delt with for repairs and issues. He said their new local lead service manager or whatever hes called was coming in on Monday and he said he will grill him for ANY info he can about the CCT. and call me once he gets the info. once I find out ill post up

#89 ·
UPDATE:

after reading about reaps and a at least one other stuffing their motors i thought time to hit them up again, as know im concerned for my life... SOOOOOO

I took the bike down this morning to Yamaha in Nerang QLd Australia. I took video footage of my bike as i started it to show them how bad it is when i got there.

things went really well. Rusty the workshop manager there was now aware of the problem and had done 3 other bikes now. once i showed him the vid clip he agreed definitely need replacing.

also getting replaced/ modified is the black plastic under the headlights and some little alloy sticker going on the bottom of the headlight lens as it acts as a magnifying glass, and yer i had some melted lines there LOL.

AND

I also have the leaking O ring or whatever to do with the water pump i think that was posted in another thread so they will look into that as well...

So it is booked in for Tuesday to get fixed. PHEW... so hopefully she comes out all sweet.

#91 ·
Since i put in the manual, anyone who wants mine can have it. It had no rattle on startup. Change it out while you wait for yamaha to produce a new one, or until u finally decide to just put in a manual.

cover shipping and its free. pm if interested.

#93 ·
New CCT

At least we are not in the same boat as Honda CBR 1000's 08-10. Go on their forum, they have bad piston rings that have oil blowby and burn oil by the quart. Honda has the dealer video taping the bike at *k rpm to see if it blows smoke , if so they get a new top end that will still blow oil , poor bastards.They even want cutomers to go to the dealer and have them fill with oil and come back in 500 miles to see oil consumption.I always thought Honda was high quality.Troth is every manufacturere has it's problems. My 2008 CRF 450 R eats up stators.Backfires an pops at high RPMs under load. Oh well, I still love my R1 and i will wait for them to fix the tensioner , it will be worth it.

#100 ·
what is it i hear about the headlights? i read somewhere someone said there was a silver tag that was magnifying the sunlight or something? i looked and seen nothing of the sort on mine so i guess im a little lost on this one
there is already a fix for this. I just got mine out of the shop on thursday. Its under warranty for manufacturer defect...so if they try to give them a bill...tell them NO. They tried to charge me like $180 for doing it...I said no...its warranty work cause its a defect. they said "oh..ok."

But they replace the melted plastic parts and on the bottom of the headlight they put some kinda sticker that makes the like look hazy....kinda like the bottom part of a bifocal. that way its not smooth shiny glass and cannot act like a magnifying glass. im not sure if its working since i just got it...but ive seen other guys get the same thing done and no longer have the melting lines

#102 ·
yeah. its not actually the bodywork. its the black surround to the headlights. look underneath the headlights...look close..if you leave your bike out in the sun then you should see little lines there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.