Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

New CCT on 2010 R1

65K views 429 replies 105 participants last post by  One-ops 
#1 ·
Just got word from a GM at a Yamaha dealer. He is an old friend who sent me an email about the 2010 cct. He indicated it is improved and will fit the 09 (of course). I will call him tmrw and post more then....:crash

#4 ·
:fact

#5 ·
Sorry to save names and such....BUT,,,,this is the scoop. Warranty will cover, but no recalls as of yet. I assume the folks that previously brought in complaints will be taken care of first. It'll probably take some time for the info to trickle down,,,,our service mgr wasn't aware of it. No "I read on the internet some guy said..." either. This is from a Yamaha GM here, but not my dealer. I'm already up their ass about it...:snorkel

#6 ·
sorry JJ, but the cct is the same on the 09/10 models, the owner of our yamaha shop got on & checked the microfiche & that showed the same p/n, he then called yamaha tech & they say no changes either. we know derrick brooks who works for yamaha corporate & the shop owner is waiting to hear from him to see whats going on. until then its hurry up & wait l.o.l

#9 ·
ya most wont know unless they get customers like us that are asking about it. its weird sorta, my bike with 3000 miles does it intermittently & it doesn't bother me but its cold and shitty so its something to research before riding starts up again.

#14 ·
I just called my local dealer and he said there's not service bulletins or recalls yet. But he also said he hadn't heard anything about this issue, and that the cam noise is normal... I suspect this dealer is very out of the loop.

He said he can replace the tensioner but a) it won't fix the noise, and b) Yamaha won't cover it because it's not defective...
:saw:

#20 ·
....still waiting on an answer for location of that document. Don't think the replacement will solve your noise cuz Yam is replacing with same cct. The new one is still in the works...but I know you need to sell it asap. Just a heads up on that:no

#22 ·
replacement with the same part may still stop the noise, i have never once had any of the excessive noise related with the cct, nor a few of my friends. would be hit or miss in my opinion, but it would also put you in line for when the actual replacements are fielded, and your past warranty date.

#24 ·
I called my dealer today and read the meno to him over the phone. He asked me if I still had any waranty left on my bike. I said a month and a half is still left. He told me to get my bike into them and he'd replace it with a new CCT.
And waranty will cover it.
I'll see what happens when the redesigned CCT comes out, My warranty will be up by then.

#25 ·
Everyone,

I just got off the phone with the dealer that I bought my bike from, Roseville Yamaha in northern CA, IMO one of the best dealers in the state. I called them because my local dealer is a bunch of f*cktards.

I first mentioned the issue with the '09 CCT's and he said he had never heard of such a problem, and once again, that the cam chain does normally make noise. I then mentioned to him the Tech article posted on the previous page of this thread. Once again, he said he knew nothing about it, but also that he did not attend the tech class last week. He then said he would look into it and call me back.

45 minutes later he calls me back and says he found the article I was talking about. He said the technical update just came out late last week and that he hadn't looked at it yet. He then called Yamaha about the revised CCT and they said that it is out and ready for order, but with the same part number.

I then asked him how I can get my local dealer to go along with this. He said to just tell them to look at the 2010 Yamaha Motorcycle Technical Update that came out last week. Page 6-7 describes the issue. It probably won't be online yet, they will have to flip through the book and find it right now.

Finally, I asked him if I will need to prove the noise. He said no, because it's clearly stated in the tech update, the dealer will replace the CCT with the new one under warranty. This is good because my bike doesn't make the startup noise all the time, and I probably wouldn't be able to reproduce the noise at their request.

In summary, the new CCT's are apparently out and ready for order. Tell your dealer to look in the 2010 Motorcycle Technical Update to find the issue, and they should replace the CCT without question.

Now, if someone would call their local dealer, and have them see if the new CCT is actually ready, that would be great. None of us want to get the CCT replaced with another pos '09 one, then come to find out the wrong tensioner was used after the warranty has expired.

Thanks!

#36 ·
This is so funny, i called my dealer & told them this info, infact i even read it to them. they looked in there new service bulletin & didnt see any of this info. they called yamaha & yamaha says there isnt a new cct either, wtf?

#30 ·
Hmmm. Normally the same part number is same part. Yamaha changes then part number even when little things happen such as vendor or minor material change. That what a superceeded part is. A newer part design that replaces the old. Superceeded parts are noted in the the Yamaha's parts system. Small changes will normally pick up a -10 or -20 as the part is changed through its various versions. I can not think of a part that has changed that the number has not off of the top of my head. Hard to control inventory otherwise. Harley had that problem though, in the 70's....as did Jaguar.:dundun:

#33 ·
Hmmm. Normally the same part number is same part. Yamaha changes then part number even when little things happen such as vendor or minor material change. That what a superceeded part is. A newer part design that replaces the old. Superceeded parts are noted in the the Yamaha's parts system.
That sounds about right. Maybe what he meant is that if he were to order a CCT using the '09 part number, they would actually send him a revised '10 CCT?

This is why I would like someone else to call their dealer to we can get some sort of agreement that the new CCTs are available (or not).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.