Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 r1 cam chain tensioner

48K views 199 replies 72 participants last post by  kurt_w_n 
#1 ·
ok guys im still having to hear the ugly cam chain rattle in my bike any new news

#8 ·
Blimey D, do you need a hand lifting that rock you must have been hiding under for the last year?! :lol :makeout

VERY common 'issue' with the 09 R1's. Camchain tensioner is oil fed and on startup, allows the chain to slap about causing a pretty horrific noise for a second or two.

#7 ·
Once I put my STM unit it does a similiar thing. I dont stress it especially when I can slap into 1st and 2nd at healthy speed with 80% less squirm...

#11 ·
what are you guys talkin about. i have 8700 on my bike and yes its noisey on a cold start. but its litterally only 4-5seconds. you guys really should just calm down and relax. thats why they have warrenties and even if your bike is out of warrenty they would still fix it cause its a known issue.

in other words NO ONES bike has been seriously affected and the one guy who kept bitching about it they just switched it and it still did the same thing. just go in for service, tell them to note the account and if anything went wrong they would take care of it.

#12 ·
^^^ r u serious??? You haven't noticed the thread a couple below this one with the dudes engine gone??? There is 2 other cases that I have seen besides this one.

#14 ·
I think a new cct from Yamahamr is proof enough....maybe to shut some folks up, but each bike does differ. If it is bad enough it will jump gear,,,,,on decel mainly. I know it's nothing at this point, I've had many bikes, but if you've ever had half an engine replaced, it sux!!! I chased problems on a Honda CBR that had a new top-end put in it (warranty) by a dealer. It never was the same,,,,that's what I'm trying to avoid. I love this bike too much and would hate to have bits and pieces tinkered with...:crash

#15 ·
All the guys saying "that's what a warranty is for" have obviously never had a motor let go on them while riding. Just think about the consequences of that for a few seconds...

For anyone wanting a definite fix right now, the only thing to do is fit a manual tensioner. Problem solved, no waiting for Yamaha's Bandaid.

#19 ·
Come on guys... marcaztls is right. Wait on them to handle it on the 12th of Never:shake No way. Im not sure but I think its not a huge job:dunno. I totally get the warranty point and the big Y needs to come correct:fact but if it can damage and something bad on the road?

I wouldnt hesitate to call Yamaha in Cypress and email this link and others. We are their most core consumer and I bet they note whats is said here:dollar

#18 ·
You will be getting the same cct at this point...they still have not released the new one. The prob will only come back from what some are saying. Yam will have the new one soon. But I agree mine is getting worse,,,hope it happens before something else does!!!!

#20 ·
Cheers D, glad someone's listening ;)

I know I'd have fitted a manual cct a long time before now. Even if the clattering noise isn't doing damage like Yamaha say (what a load of bollox) then think of this:

What is the clattering noise? Well it's the under-tensioned cam chain slapping against the plastic guides while the tensioned builds up pressure. Say your bike clatters for 3 seconds. If you've started your bike 20 times and it's clattered for 3 seconds each time, that's a minutes worth of clattering and slapping going on.

For the guys that are saying they're fine with this happening, would you be okay listening to your bike making that noise for a solid minute or would you turn it off? It's no different.

And I bet you've all had the noise more than 20 times...

Yamaha should have done something about this a long time ago. Preferably during the bikes development so it never reached the consumer stage. It only takes a handful of guys on other manufacturer forums to start saying "Have you heard of all the R1 cct noise complaints?" and there you have a bad reputation spreading and sales hurt.

Maybe Yam have weighed up the costs of fixing any physical damage vs. a widespread remedy and decided the former is cheaper business-wise. Sad really.

#24 ·
What more can we say, get it done asap, if for no other reason than mentioned before, you dont want the donk to give out while at speed, I was lucky with it jumping only one tooth. it seems as though Yamaha are a little slow in gathering Data on the issue as a whole and what outcomes are begining to show. Those that say dont worry, you have clearly lost your mind...:dundun:

#26 ·
This problem goes back a couple years (correct me if I am wrong)...not just the 09's. My 2006 made that ticking noise when I started it up last night. After it warmed up, the noise went away. If it is the same tensioner problem and they finally fix it for 09...then they also need to fix it for past years.

#28 ·
they were waiting for a new one to come in my bike is still in the shop i should be getting it back thursday. then it will go back as soon as the recall comes out for the new redesign cct that will replace the ones we have now.will keep you guys posted

#29 ·
Again i Had this same problem last year and got it fixed.
Yamaha knows about it and will fix it under warranty
GET YOUR DEALER TO FIX IT!!!!!
Dont take the fact that they say it will go away, mine went away cause I GOT IT FIXED!!

#30 ·
They fixed it by putting in another POS '09 CCT, which unless you're lucky will fail again. We all are waiting on the redesigned CCT. Yes, we can all go to the dealer today and get the CCT replaced with an old one and have the noise go away for another thousand miles or whatever they last. But I'd rather wait a month or two or however long it's going to take rather than make two service trips to the dealer.

Maybe others can't wait that long. My noise is minimal and doesn't worry me too much at this point, ~3000 miles.

#34 ·
i put the manual APE tentioner on mine instead of waiting for yami to figure out what they wanna do

#35 · (Edited)
Manual CCT

How did that install go? The manual tensioner is looking like a decent idea.I am afraid of overtightening it though.How did you find tdc on cyl 1 , did you take off the valve cover?Could you uplaod the install instructions for the tensioner. Ape makes a decent product.I left a post for Graves Motorsports twice in their section and they ignored my question twice , politics , about what they are using for a cct, manual or stock or improved.They came out with an improvement for the clutch so I thought they would have a fix for their race bikes cct.They probably do but do not want to let us know an therefore endanger their relationship with Yamaha , their major sponsor.

#37 ·
well guys got my bike back saturday all is good noise is gone (dont know for how long) but bike is running good. for some strange reason bike feels a bit stronger maybe because did not ride for a wile. will keep you guys posted p.s they told me the new cct will be out soon lets hope.

#39 ·
Word of advice when installing the manual. Have the bolt screwed all the way in and back it out as you install it until the casing is in proper position to bolt in place.

I learnt the hard way as I was installing mine, I thought the bolt was flush with the tensioner as it wouldn't hand tighten anymore, turned the engine over by hand and nope it wasn't, just hit a very tight spot on the bolt and CC skipped some teeth. Knocked out of timing.

At least I have 2 weeks before I hit Chuckwalla to have her in prime running condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.