Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 r1 cam chain tensioner

48K views 199 replies 72 participants last post by  kurt_w_n 
#1 ·
ok guys im still having to hear the ugly cam chain rattle in my bike any new news

#72 ·
I brought this to the attention of the local dealership about 6 months ago @ about 5K miles. They didn't know what it was, but was told that they contacted Yamaha. Was told the they know about it and Yamaha knows about it, so if anything happens, it's covered. Checked back in a couple of months later after reading the forums here to let them know what it was. They confirmed that there had been a couple others brought to them with the same issue and I explained what I was reading about the CCT...I was told that they contacted Yamaha and confirmed the issue, but that it's not harming the motor, but if it gets worse, bring it in. I just checked with them yesterday and was told that the CCT is on back order and a new replacement for the original isn't available yet. I just asked them to give me a call when the new one is available. I'm at ~10.5K miles now and I've still got the knock at startup and I can hear a light intermittent ticking when I'm riding in slow(less wind noise) in the low rpms. Nothing's happened in 10K miles, so besides being annoying,the bike still runs great.

#73 ·
Do yourself a favor and order the manual cct from APE.....Yamaha has stuck it's head in the sand and hopes it passes!!!! Our service manager was actually told by Yam that the update doc (on the Yam website now) was a fake!!!!! So it sounds like it's going to be f'n forever....WRW Racing (Ben Spies old tuner) puts a manual cct on EVERY race engine. He said the oem cct's on the 4 Jap bikes are all crap!!!! Also says that oil pressure/spring cct's never apply the correct tension anyways....too much pressure during high rpm, and not enough during low rpm riding....so I ordered my APE,,,,screw this!!!!:butt

#74 ·
Just as an update to those in Australia, I'm in Brisbane, QLD and they changed over my CCT last service, and also applied the black adhesive plates under the lights to stop the plastic melting.
:)

edit: oh and it's been around 500km since the service, maybe 750km, and not one clatter or noise yet. so far so good.

#75 ·
** UP-DATE **

In another post thread somewhere on here I had stated that I had called Yamaha Corporation and was advised to take my bike back to the dealship and have them look at it ... so I did

When I got there I had told the service guy about the melting problem and the CCT issue and of course he hadn't heard of either issue ... but he did take some pics of the melting and documented the CCT complaint I made ... he then asked who I spoke with at Yamaha and that he would call me as soon as he heard back

That was 3 weeks or so ago ... anyways the guy I spoke with at Yamaha called me last week BUT he was more interested in the remarks I had left on their Facebook page ( which weren't nice to say the least ) I was like I'm fooked now

So I explained that and then he told me that he had gotten the pics from my service guy ... he then told me that he was gonna call the guy I spoke with and for me to call him as well to schedule a date to have repairs done ... I then told him that I didn't want the decals that I had heard were bein' used as a fix for the melting

ANYWAYS ... I finally got around to callin' the service guy and he told me that he had spoke with the guy I had previously told hom about and that they were gonna replace the melted plastics, the head lamps AND were gonna replace the CCT :fact

He told me that all the parts are on order and as soon as they come in he'll call

So right now I'm keepin' my fingers crossed ...

#83 ·
That's awesome. Who's going to be the first one to get it? Wish they would update Canada as well but we always seem to get I later. Maybe I should just order one from the states and install it myself.

#84 ·
mine is at the dealer i have a freind that works there had to drive further but worth it even when i dropped it off my freind took it right inside instead of leaving it out with everybody else bike . my buddy said this is the first bike that he heard of having this problem but he says they dont sell alot of R1. well to make a long story short he got me the new 2010 cct and new fairing and airduct buckets and 2010 headlights, picking up tomorrow going to check part # on cct, thanks guys for all your info it helped me get my bike fixed

#87 ·
well i finally got a chance to test out the ape with some hard riding and i am totally pleased. didnt hear any noise whatsoever out of the the bike. it might just be me but the bike seems to rev a little easier now. install and adjustment is simple. well worth the 50 bucks.

#88 ·
Hey you guys, been a long time Yamaha owner but new to the forum. I do want to tell you guys that I bought the new cct from commonwealthpowersports and my friend was looking at it in the truck on the ride back to the garage. It fell off his lap on to the floor board he picked it up and the plunger popped out all the way. The clips and everything came out. I brought it back today and they wanted to charge me a restocking fee. I going tomorrow to talk to the parts mgr. Never have but i think i'm going to try the ape cct. I havent heard anything bad about it. What site did you guys go to to order it?

#100 ·
Got one under warranty and noise at startup gone.

#101 ·
I just tried bringing mine to the dealer for the appointment I made a week ago, and they said the new cct is on back-order, anyone else experience this? What really scares me is he also said if it were him he wouldn't ride it cus someone in the area had the cct fail and now needs a motor rebuild. I'm assuming that person is not on this forum or we would all know about it. So with that said,,,,,,bike for sale

#104 ·
Maybe you can ask around ( where do you live ? ) . And see if anyone in your area has installed one & give you some help to install & as when & how often to check for play.
The reason I say that.. Because I will be installing one on a friend of mine 09. Because he is not comfortable installing his also.

#108 ·
hey guys info for you i got the new cct (so i tought) my noise went away at start up but i could hear the chain rattle inside at low rpm called the dealer and they said thats what it should sound like he said you have the new cct yamaha put out. i always keep my paperwork (thank god) so i see the post you guys did with the new part #. well what do you know i got a new cct with the old part#. its going back in ill let you guys know the outcome.for the guys who got the new cct check your part# numbers good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.