Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 r1 cam chain tensioner

48K views 199 replies 72 participants last post by  kurt_w_n 
#1 ·
ok guys im still having to hear the ugly cam chain rattle in my bike any new news

#110 ·
The directions on the package are pretty basic. ( once the tensioner housing is tightened down,tighten the bolt ( clockwise ) with your fingures, Once you have it snug buy hand ,roll the motor over( a full revolution ) with a wrench & at the same time try and tighten it ( buy hand )you might get 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn more. Once you have done a full revolution of the motor, Back the tensioner screw out( counter clockwise ) a 1/4 of a turn. Then lock down the jam nut...And Bang zip boom.. it's set.

a side note. When you remove the side cover.if the guide pins pull out with the cover , Don't panic. remove the tensioner , this will give you enough slop in the guide plates to put the guide pins back in.The pins will go through the guides & into the block,once the pins are back in, continue with the install.

Hope this Helps with your Question.

#113 ·
I just want a few opinions. Since hearing the loud clicking on start I've heard it maybe 3-5 times since then (1 month) How big of deal is this? Should I wait, buy the part, take it to the dealer? And its random as hell. I haven't heard it for about a week. As with mine it started after an oil change. I don't know what to do the whole issue irritates the crap out of me.

#114 ·
Rokerij,
I know where you are coming from..I hated hearing it.I took mine in for a new one ,Still made noise. But mine got to the point I could hear it on hard riding days.

Piece of Mind for me was the ( manual one ).

It doesn't take much more ( If its ratteling that bad ) to jump a tooth or 2 and possibly bend a Valve or break the head off a valve and bust a piston.

#115 ·
It actually took me a good 4 times to adjust the APE CCT so that there was not sound. Because I set it up the way described here, but I was still getting a bit of a rattle from the chain as I was riding. So I made very small incremental adjustments and now the nosie iss gone. The only problem I have now is that I think I mashed the rubber gasket that is infront of the lock nut and the tensioner so now its leaking very lightly thru the main screw. Make sure you don't over tighten that nut becuase I think I squished it too much and now it doesn't hold. Gonna have to get a new one put on. Or just back that locking nut off.

Any ideas?

#116 ·
Just ordered APE for mine as I suspect a faulty CCT is possibly what caused my catastrophic engine failure (Just got a replacement motor that Im building up, still havent taken the original out of the bike as I had the shits that badly after it blew up in the best race of my life that I just threw it in the shed and forgot about it).

Will have the damaged engine out and will post up up the results when have a better idea of what happened..

#117 ·
Whoopazz,
Try backing the jam nut off a good ways up. Take some brake clean, clean the area very good & dry it with a clean rag. Take a small amount of black silicon on your fingure , Turn the jam nut & apply a thin amount all the way around the bottom of the nut where it meets the housing. then tighten it down.Wipe off any excess silicon after the nut is tight.Let it dry for a hour or so..Then take it out and see if it leaks.

#120 ·
NITRO: I backed out the nut all the way, rolled the rubber gasket back, sprayed everything with break cleaner and rolled the gasket into its original position, but did it carefully making sure it wouldn't get pinched. Than I tightened it again not as hard, and all is good now, knock on wood. Thanks.

#121 ·
Just finished putting it in. Still think every direction given on the actual adjustment of the screw is shady but thats just me. The rattle at start up is gone completely, and it pulls a bit differently from a stop. Those are the only two real differences I noticed. I can't replicate the rave reviews others gave, but the clanking at startup is gone so I guess thats most important.

#123 ·
After i put mine in I revd mine at three, than on five, then at eight and than at 12 and held it at each point for about 5 seconds. I also did a bunch of on - off throttle and still i didnt hear anything. Next day noyhing. I do wish the adjustment where a little more presice, but i did what they said.

#125 ·
recall for cct on 09 r1

there is a recall. i took mine into yamaha for my battery dying. i had to push start my bike several times to get myself home and i knew that shouldnt be happening on an 09 ANYTHING. well a week after i had dropped it off with yamaha i called to check the status. they told me there was a recall on my cct. SHOCKING. they told me that was the reason my battery wasn't holding a charge. and it killed my rectifyer. (sorry bout spelling). honestly, im a car guy and i just got into bikes so i didnt know what the hell a rectifyer was. (i have since learned). anyone with an opinion on this, could you please let me know. i posted this originally cause i saw someone ask if anyone knew of a recall. yes there certainly is. the 09 r1 has a recall out for the cam chain tentioner.

#128 ·
there is a recall. i took mine into yamaha for my battery dying. i had to push start my bike several times to get myself home and i knew that shouldnt be happening on an 09 ANYTHING. well a week after i had dropped it off with yamaha i called to check the status. they told me there was a recall on my cct. SHOCKING. they told me that was the reason my battery wasn't holding a charge. and it killed my rectifyer. (sorry bout spelling). honestly, im a car guy and i just got into bikes so i didnt know what the hell a rectifyer was. (i have since learned). anyone with an opinion on this, could you please let me know. i posted this originally cause i saw someone ask if anyone knew of a recall. yes there certainly is. the 09 r1 has a recall out for the cam chain tentioner.

I had the same problem actually. Except they didn't blame it on the CCT. However they did order me the new part but they said it would be September before they possibly get one. I guess the parts are hard to get right now. And all they did to my battery was give it a full charge.

#132 ·
sounds like yamaha is.....(like every other manufacturer) scamming a$$ rippoffs. i don't know that much about bikes yet, but as you can see, I do get online and research problems I run into. I wish I had the time and money to screw them back for the things they put me through. As for the relation from cct to charging system, they said something about the oil pressure on the cam chain being low and thus causing (in a way I don't understand) the starting process to take longer.... Therefore killing battery, and in turn, in time, killing rectifier. Makes scense in one way..... When I bull$hit someone, I try to make it sound as intricate as possible so as to confuse the bull$hitee. I'm getting screwed but I don't have the expertise to call them on it and be capable of arguing it further. Just wanna start breakin skulls!!!!!! so i'm sendin my sos for those who have advise.

#141 ·
Same here!

I called Friday just to see if they had heard anything about a TSB, before I finished talking he was like "yes"
I asked what it would cost being I am out of warranty, he said nothing, it's still a Yamaha issue and it's taken care of. he ordered the part and said come in Sep 3rd. By the book it's under a half hour to do, so he said I can wait if I want.

#142 ·
CCT situation in europe (Switzerland):
There is no recall till now, but since late july the shop knows from Yamaha about the problem.
They are adviced to give a 5 year warranty for the old CCT and change the part if someone complains about it. For free oc.
The last bikes with the old CCT installed are build 02.2010 he said.
Cheers!

#148 ·
Ok so the whole back order story maybe isn't just a story. My only local yamaha stealership is full of punks and I didn't believe them when they told me it was on backorder because of their previous displays of not being professionals. So I went the ape route but would prefer an OEM "properly functioning" tensioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.