Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 r1 cam chain tensioner

48K views 199 replies 72 participants last post by  kurt_w_n 
#1 ·
ok guys im still having to hear the ugly cam chain rattle in my bike any new news

#149 ·
Just got my bike back today after taking it in because of problems with the fuel light - wasn't coming until the bike was running on fumes. Dealer found the Yamaha TSB on his own, I haven't had any noises and didn't mention it, but he ordered the part anyway. It is on back-order, he expects it sometime mid-to-late September.

#150 ·
Mine got repleced for updated one about month ago and noise is back when decelerating and is bad! Yamaha confirmed that I have latest Cct fitted. I will be going for ape if they dont fix it.

#151 · (Edited)
you will all still have problems with the new one as well

when it completly fails..receeds and the chain skips more than 2 teeth the vavles are going to be firmly pressed into your pistons
more than likely it will happen on decelration

if you like the automatic one then treat it like a servicable item

i went to ape have not looked back....no noise on startup and no chance of complete failure

one little thing if you do go ape make sure you put some locktight on the thread if you dont you get oil seppage comming along the thread about 200miles later you will notice oil patch on the engine

it has a little rubber ring gasket on it but it does not squeeze into the thread to fully seal it off

....! oh yeah this bike has turned me into a mechanic !....

#152 ·
just wondering if more of us still have a problems with cct after replacing.

#156 ·
Knowing yammy probably so.... I'm going to check into the APE. My bike started rattling after the first oil change around 600 miles. But I serviced it with 1040 but drained it out completely and went to 2050 yamalube. I'm going to change oil again but I dont think this will make any differance.

#160 ·
Guys discovered reason for my clicking. I was thinking that cct but I found...... Little screw in one exhaust pipe and washer in the another one! Someone must have put them for a joke or just being jelaous. Also sealed exhaust on connections with copper silicone paste and its completly diff bike. Its sooo smooth now and delivers power so quickly.

So new cct is working, over 1k miles now :)

Reactions: darkrideruk99
#161 ·
Screwed?

Alright I'm no mechanic but figured I could install my APE CCT...Wrong:bash

I followed the video and im stuck...literally. Ok so I put the tensioner on and line up the " |t " and start to get the proper tension on the chain and sorry for no technical terms.....the bolt on the sprocket below the tensioner is hard as hell to turn- yes its in neutral and I have the tensioner backed all the way out... I turn it a little harder and I hear a loud CLACK... im like ok was I supposed to hear something... Its so hard to turn like an idiot i put it in 6th and try to roll it very very slowly while moving the tensioner in...Loud clack again. :dundun:

Please tell me there is no possible way i jumped teeth...or very unlikely...

What do I do from here. If i have to tear that shit down....whatever.

#166 ·
Guys change this bloody thing for updated one and forget of the noise! I can tell it does work. Had also headlights problem solved so my baby is now great toy :)

#167 ·
hi guys im a newbie and this thread caught me eye!!

so first of all greetings!. im from uk so to those across the pond :D howdy!

i ride a honda firestorm 2002 plate (superhawk in the US) in 1998 the honda firestorm was realeased within the first few months it became very obvious something was wrong. the CCT itself suffered from ....well being sh** i think. The CCT's on these are also oil fed and the front cyclinder being Vtwin was usually starved of oil. The CCTs would fail and cause pistons and valve to make buttery love inside the lump, unfortunetly resulting in injury to one person i remmeber reading about. i find it very odd how some 11 years later yamaha have made the very same mistake on the 09 R1. Honda's solution a nice shiny new one that didnt break?? no they simply said were classing it a servicible item and they placed it onto the 16k mile service. i really hope yamaha dont swindle u guys like this, the 09 is a beauty and me being a fat git has finally suited an r1 the big front end doesnt make me look daft when i sit on it!.

well greetings again and i hope u get sorted.

#173 ·
Whats the updated part number for the CCT from Yamaha or Recall number, cause where i live the dealer hasn't heard of any problems about the CCT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.