Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09-12 R1 Help

12K views 138 replies 35 participants last post by  arcticfuel 
#1 ·
I'm considering picking up a 2009 Yamaha R1 but it will need to take some pretty serious engine enhancements. I'm looking to build the bike to 185 - 190 rear wheel hp. I currently ride a 2005 GSX-R1000 with Web cams, ported head, lightened/balanced crankshaft, 1070cc piston kit and all the usual add-ons. The bike is putting nearly 200 horses to the ground.

I want the same from the R1. I love the looks and sound of the bike but I need the performance to be there too. I ride 99% street and 1% track so my main focus is upping the horsepower for those long straights I'll encounter out on the highways around Chicago.

If anyone has built one of these motors I need all the input and advice you can give me. The R1's in World Superbike (and even Josh Hayes' AMA Superbike R1) impress me. Clearly I have no need for that type of power but a strong 185 rwhp would be nice. Thanks.

GSXR

#77 ·
There is a button that says:

in each post. If you hit it, it will automatically quote the person you are quoting, and make your posts (and this thread) much easier to follow.

Please help us to help you, and use the quote button.

Attachments

#75 ·
I have the Brembo 19RCS and Speigler lines. I didn't install new rotors or calipers as I wanted to see if it would be necessary for my style/ability. In my case what I added was all that was needed. My braking system before was ok to me, but I had immediate improvement and feel with just these small changes. I felt far more comfortable going deeper into corners late on the brakes.

I also have an Ohlins steering damper. I really can't comment on how the other brands are(I've only used Ohlins), but the build quality of the Ohlins is great. It's going to do the job and do it well. Price is not always reflective of quality bro. Some parts are just overpriced and may not be the best.

#76 ·
Hey Toddyzfr1 - I know you put the Brembo on the '05. Do you think the stock hardware on the '07 is comparable to the aftermarket piece you picked up? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it'll serve me to upgrade to an aftermarket piece on the '09 (or whatever year I pick up). The newer bikes already come with the Brembo set-up. Thanks.

GSXR

#79 ·
By no means is it comparable. It's a huge improvement to me. Again each riders needs and wants vary, but there's no comparison in terms of a difference for the better. In my experience, companies like Brembo or Ohlins when they make parts to be stock on a bike it's not to the full quality of their aftermarket part. For instance remember the ZX-10 with the stock equipped Ohlins damper? Well, it wasn't good at all. Not the same quality as an aftermarket damper made by Ohlins. No adjustability, nothing. My stock master cylinder was a Brembo and it by no means was bad. However it does not compare to my aftermarket Brembo. The upgrade is well worth it.

#82 ·
First and foremost I'm glad a lot of people are checking this thread out. I think for far too long we (Americans) have been content with leaving the R1's engine alone. I can assure you that's not the case overseas - there's a boat-load of potential inside the walls of this engine.

Graves is at the cutting edge of performance for this machine and has a ton of special parts for this bike including a ported head, special ground cams, electronics, special velocity stacks, super-sized radiator, brakes, dampers, exhausts, etc. The price I was given wasn't concrete - there are other variables I hadn't considered that were brought to my attention. I don't want to put Graves in a bad spot by sticking a number on them. What I can say is the cost is substantial - quite a bit better than $10K.

On the UK R1 Forum there's a bike that a guy had built to British Superbike spec. The build put him at about 196 rwhp with crazy braking and control. The cost was approximately $25,000.

Now let's be real - that's a lot of rice. But you'll be riding a bike that you could enter in a Superbike race (and run competitively). It will imitate the performance you see on television. And to me that's worth a lot of rice. :dollar

GSXR

#83 ·
I need more help and more input. I was talking to a guy who does engine packages for this bike and he cautioned me to avoid the '09 R1 and go with the '10. Without going into detail he said there were "issues" with the '09 R1 motor. I need a little help in understanding the differences between the '09 and '10 from a reliability / maintenance standpoint. Did Yamaha make any subtle changes between the first and second year to make certain parts stronger or more reliable? Thanks guys.

GSXR

#84 ·
I need more help and more input. I was talking to a guy who does engine packages for this bike and he cautioned me to avoid the '09 R1 and go with the '10. Without going into detail he said there were "issues" with the '09 R1 motor. I need a little help in understanding the differences between the '09 and '10 from a reliability / maintenance standpoint. Did Yamaha make any subtle changes between the first and second year to make certain parts stronger or more reliable? Thanks guys.

GSXR
no change at all! not sure what your guy is talking about?

#90 ·
its an easy fix that is covered under recall. dont make it a bigger deal then what i really is

#102 ·
:corn

#104 ·
All I see in that video are a bunch of squids riding like total idiots on a crowded highway.

:shake...

#109 ·
I made the offer, he never took me up on it. I've built plenty of bikes and you can ask the guy on here who has my R6 that can pace a gixxer 750 at Road Atlanta. You send me the bike and 28k and I will guarantee you get what you are looking for. One of the best builders in the country. He's been wanting to do a super HP build on the new R1.

#111 ·
:hammer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.