Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09-12 R1 Help

12K views 138 replies 35 participants last post by  arcticfuel 
#1 ·
I'm considering picking up a 2009 Yamaha R1 but it will need to take some pretty serious engine enhancements. I'm looking to build the bike to 185 - 190 rear wheel hp. I currently ride a 2005 GSX-R1000 with Web cams, ported head, lightened/balanced crankshaft, 1070cc piston kit and all the usual add-ons. The bike is putting nearly 200 horses to the ground.

I want the same from the R1. I love the looks and sound of the bike but I need the performance to be there too. I ride 99% street and 1% track so my main focus is upping the horsepower for those long straights I'll encounter out on the highways around Chicago.

If anyone has built one of these motors I need all the input and advice you can give me. The R1's in World Superbike (and even Josh Hayes' AMA Superbike R1) impress me. Clearly I have no need for that type of power but a strong 185 rwhp would be nice. Thanks.

GSXR

#119 ·
You guys are great! lol!! Welcome back Tad - I knew you couldn't resist. None of you can - and I love it! Welcome back to the party.

GSXR

P.S. - still waiting on information to help folks out with brakes, suspension, dampers, etc. Let's not lose focus. They moved this to the performance area for a reason. Ohlins obviously but what about Showa? I've head good things about them too.

#123 ·
a little late to coment on the video but ... holy crap that whole group of riders is what gives sport bikes a bad name.. i was just waiting for someone to get killed riding like complete morons.. also, the guy riding.. does he know the bike has 6 gears? wow, just wow.. that is the whole reason i dont really ride with anyone anymore... a lot of people drive like that. hauling ass past traffic with a loud exhaust you scare drivers.. someone isntpaying attention then swerves and the group of bikes in the back runs into a car.. its just STUPID!!

#127 ·
In speaking with different folks who've gotten to know the 09+ R1 well, I've been informed that it's a warm bike - it creates a good deal of heat. Like its predecessors it comes right from the factory with two radiator fans. This is a cause for concern because I found +2mm pistons and I'm considering boring the motor to 1050cc as part of my project. Check mid-page for the 2009-2011 big bore pistons:

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/...amaha-r1-pistons-cp-yzf-r1-racing-pistons.php

Wiseco makes some +1mm pistons resulting in a 1025cc engine. Either way a larger motor may require a better cooling system for the bike. That search led me to several companies. Take a look:

http://www.oppracing.com/category/8...or/?bikemake=6035&include_non_bike_specific=Y

http://www.h2o-performance.com/en/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=3

http://www.radiatorista.it/eng/yamaha-radiators.html

There are a number of other companies out there doing these larger, aluminum radiators but I wonder if I'll need that type of cooling. I'll mainly be on the highway riding between 65 and 80 mph so I wonder if this type of radiator is overkill. I can definitely see the need with an all-out race bike but a street bike that will almost always be in motion? Not so sure I need to go big like this.

GSXR

#129 ·
True - this build definitely falls into the "overkill" category, lol. It interests me to go big on this bike because it's not something that's been done. It's truly different.

I rode with some buddies of mine Saturday evening. I was on my 1441 Busa but we never rode over 75 mph. I just really like having my bikes built - just to have something different. This R1 will be quite different.

GSXR

#131 ·
^^^lol dont crush the mans hopes. he can dream cant he....

#132 ·
Nope - engine is back together for 1000 and going in frame this week. Motor will be heat cycled and tuned out and then all the plastics will go back on. My tuner says I should have the Gix back in my possession the beginning of April.

After that it goes up for sale. Should be an easy move because it'll be the beginning of the riding season. That's when I'll grab the R1. In particular I'm looking for a cadmium yellow '09. I've been seeing more of them around and the prices are pretty reasonable. I'll do all the brake and control upgrades during the summer and ship the motor off to get the big work during the colder months.

No dreams Optimo - this is going to happen. Everything and everybody is in place. Last step is to sell the Gix and grab the 1. Won't be hard at all in Chicago

GSXR

#133 ·
Revive the thread!

I have just got a cam and head job done by Kevin Stepenson, target 185 at the wheel. Just pushed the bike two miles to get home, bike starts then seems to overheat at 85°C and wont start again until it's cooled down. Doubt if the bike was test run by Kevin.

Expected a few teething problems but didn't expect breakdowns. I use a 41 year old Kawasaki H1 as daily transport so understand that if it's worth loving it's worth the pain. The H1 doesn't actually break down but then I don't let anyone else work on it.

Bike is booked in for dyno next Tuesday, will post the results if the engine can actually be made to work.

#136 ·
You are right, probably not worth it if money is no object but if you have already got carbon wheels and an Akrapovic system on the bike you are in too deep to stop!!

With Akrapovic full system, BMC filter, gas flowed head, cams: 178BHP at the wheel. Before head and cams: 162.5BHP at the wheel.

Not a huge difference according to the numbers which probably give it close to 200 at the crank which is about the same as a new 2015 R1 but the bike now has a very linear curve which amplifies the difference and makes the bike feel like it accelerates faster the faster you go. Probably just a feeling but it is now faster in the real world than my brothers Panigale 1299. Could be that the Panigale electronics are holding it back "in the real world".

#137 ·
Just a thought but is the new R1 a better base to build from! Seems to me that we are on a trend where the manufacturers are building WSB production bikes which flatter journalists with electronic aids which are fine on the track but I wouldn't rely on them too much on the road.

Journalists need something to write about and they test the bikes on tracks, they have to keep the rollercoaster running and saying the latest bikes are better encourages more new models which gives them copy for next year. The latest bikes are made for dwarfs and I ride my bike on the road, not much on the track.

Having said that I am sure that the latest R1 is a great bike but not sure it's a huge amount better than my 09 on an actual road. Am sure the Panigale 1299 isn't better than my 09 on a real road in the real world.

PS. My brother is now getting a new R1 so will be able to compare when he does.

#138 ·
Re: Panigale - I owned a 1199S for a while, to be honest it didn't feel as fast as my 2012 R1. I had the full Akrapovic titanium race system with the ECU & Air filter, Ducati claimed it made 195-200hp but, I don't think it did. Most moto journalists who've investigated the Panigale power output also agree, the Duc doesn't make as much power as Ducati claims it does.

Re: Your R1... Yeah, once you've sunk a lot of money into a platform, that's a good incentive to stick with it.

My guess is Yamaha had a real challenge getting the Gen1 CP4 motor (09-14) harmonic destruction issues solved at a consumer grade price point. The engine's a great engine, however it is not easy nor cheap to achieve more power compared to the other I4 screamers. That being said, what we gain from the CP4 is absolutely fantastic. Massive stonking torque AND extra rear wheel grip under power. For the street riding I do, it's ideal.

I'm guessing the 2nd Gen CP4 has a lot more easily tapped power potential. I'm hearing of people here in Aus getting 220-230 crank hp from the 2nd gen CP4 much easier than they could from the old engine. I'm guessing Yamaha's solved a lot of the harmonic destruction issues in the 1st Gen. Now all we need to do is solve the 2nd Gen oil-in-airbox issues being seen in the high output engines at high speed. I'm very curious to know what the cause of that is...

#139 ·
Maintenance

Hello,
I will like to change my forks oil on R1 2009 by myself.
In the bigening season of 2014, The mecanics changed my spring to
1.0 and the dust seal and oil. Now 2 years later I will like to change oil only. My question is if my oil is little bite contaminated is it possible to clean the internal without disable all,the cartridge, iner tube , oil seal,
clip ect... ? You know ? just maintenance for oil. I dont know if it
will be lot or non contaminated. thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.