Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

09-12 R1 Help

12K views 138 replies 35 participants last post by  arcticfuel 
#1 ·
I'm considering picking up a 2009 Yamaha R1 but it will need to take some pretty serious engine enhancements. I'm looking to build the bike to 185 - 190 rear wheel hp. I currently ride a 2005 GSX-R1000 with Web cams, ported head, lightened/balanced crankshaft, 1070cc piston kit and all the usual add-ons. The bike is putting nearly 200 horses to the ground.

I want the same from the R1. I love the looks and sound of the bike but I need the performance to be there too. I ride 99% street and 1% track so my main focus is upping the horsepower for those long straights I'll encounter out on the highways around Chicago.

If anyone has built one of these motors I need all the input and advice you can give me. The R1's in World Superbike (and even Josh Hayes' AMA Superbike R1) impress me. Clearly I have no need for that type of power but a strong 185 rwhp would be nice. Thanks.

GSXR

#2 ·
I'm considering picking up a 2009 Yamaha R1 but it will need to take some pretty serious engine enhancements. I'm looking to build the bike to 185 - 190 rear wheel hp. I currently ride a 2005 GSX-R1000 with Web cams, ported head, lightened/balanced crankshaft, 1070cc piston kit and all the usual add-ons. The bike is putting nearly 200 horses to the ground.

I want the same from the R1. I love the looks and sound of the bike but I need the performance to be there too. I ride 99% street and 1% track so my main focus is upping the horsepower for those long straights I'll encounter out on the highways around Chicago.

If anyone has built one of these motors I need all the input and advice you can give me. The R1's in World Superbike (and even Josh Hayes' AMA Superbike R1) impress me. Clearly I have no need for that type of power but a strong 185 rwhp would be nice. Thanks.

GSXR
That's all I needed to know when you want a strong 185 rwhp....why not just get a busa? And I can guarantee you you do not need 180+ rwhp on an R1 to ride an R1 the way it was meant to be ridden (twisties). What roads around chicago are there to go 200+ mph?

#5 ·
I currently ride a 2005 GSX-R1000 with Web cams, ported head, lightened/balanced crankshaft, 1070cc piston kit and all the usual add-ons. The bike is putting nearly 200 horses to the ground.

GSXR

200hp to the ground my ass.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Has anyone done anything with the Graves "WORKS" parts for this bike? The R1 is a great twisties bike but it also has serious power potential in the head/cam combo. Kevin Stephenson of Rev2Race (Europe) builds these things for Irish Road Racing, British Superbike, World Superbike, etc. He's getting 190+ to the rear wheel on these things. Josh Hayes himself has made mention that his bike is right around 200 rwhp. Believe me, it's possible.

Oh, and if you doubt 200 rwhp (broc 944) just visit kwsmotorsports.com and see what they're doing with GSX-R1000s. You can also check RC's performance, Carpenter Racing, etc. Everybody's getting 190 to 200 out of the 1000. I'm just struggling to find someone who can do it with the R1. Hell, Dano's Performance is getting 185 rwhp!

GSXR

#7 · (Edited)
I can't resist...Sorry

Unless you are Josh Hayes trying to win at Daytona why the heck do you need 200+hp...the bike is an awesome bike.

Edit to add: There is a little Troll in all of us, but that is a classic first post...

#9 ·
All I am saying is a great bike. Is it a top end HP monster, if you want to build a drag bike probably a new zx14 is where it is at. I just got gone reading a "Sport Rider" article about how it is the next standard for that kind of thing.

BTW, when you say "track" do you mean road course or drag strip? Most people on here will interpret track to mean road course, on which the 09+ is an excellent performer. The drag strip:dunno

#10 ·
Definitely Roadcourse! Drag racing comes down to the first 60 ft whereas road racing is only won through consistent, repeatable quick laps. I hit the track (Autobahn Country Club) about twice a year to stay somewhat sharp but most of my miles come from the highways in and out of Chicago. Because it's a major metro area, all the roads are designed for cages and trucks. They're all flat and straight.

A lot of people unfamiliar with the Chicago riding scene ask "How often can you run 186 on the streets?" In Chicago you will run 186 every single time you ride or you will be left behind like a schoolgirl wearing pink lace (and everybody will make sure you know it) - horsepower is king in these streets and I know the R1 has serious potential (just ask Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty).

I love its look and its sound. I rode my buddy's 09 and liked it, but didn't love it because I was used to my 1000. Then I began doing research on motor builds and wanted to get first-hand experience from guys who've built the motor on this thing and went out huntin' Busas and 14's.

The 14R is a great bike, but do know what's even greater? When they don't expect you coming. A 190 horsepower 09+ R1 would be the ultimate sleeper. I just have to find someone who shares my passion in making this thing fly!!

GSXR

#11 ·
Just hear the bike down a little bit you can get 200MPH out of an R1...It will do 190MPH as is...all the HP does is get you there faster... I think Rory has seen something similar to that number on his bike (GPS #'s), geared down for fuel economy,

There are lots of people on here that will also say that is ridiculous to ride that fast on the streets no matter what. (including me) Heck it is sketchy to do 190 at a track.

Personally the g-forces coming out of a curve is way better than speed, at any speed. All I can say is I hope you are fully suited up at those speeds...

#14 ·
09+ your not gonna see those #'s at any reasonable cost. get a bmw or zx10 for those #'s

#15 ·
You what's crazy (besides riding 190 on the streets)? I remember when the 2009 R1 debuted and I heard that thing for the first time. The sound was (is) intoxicating! I couldn't help but think "Darn, that thing is going to rip the streets up!"

The R1 is a downright sexy machine. Sure, the BMW has all the power but look at that thing! And the ZX-10R, while being the only real liter-bike matching the Bimmer's power (with work of course), doesn't do it for me either. You guys really think I should just give this idea up, really?

GSXR

#19 ·
It's like nearly 9:00pm here so I'm about to sign off. But I will update you guys on what Tim says about this machine. I will also get in touch with Dano's Performance out west and Kevin Stephenson at Rev2Race (UK).

And fellas, all joking aside - I really do appreciate the input. At least I understand what the average R1 rider thinks and feels. Believe it or not, that helps.

GSXR

#21 ·
It seems to me that most people who purchased a 2009-2012 R1 did so for a characteristic that makes the R1 unique. Not because it cranks out the most HP. Or because it's the lightest. Or because it's the fastest. They purchased it because of that motor. Because when you pull up next to that "every other run-of-the-mill 4 cylinder sounding sportbike" (or anything, for that matter), the R1 turns heads. Simple as that. That's why I bought mine. I happily piss my pants every time I fire mine up.

Best of luck, GSXR

Reactions: NSGF
#22 ·
I don't care what he's going to use the power for.

I am interested in the result of a crossplane build.

Can we just focus on that?

I don't give a rats ass what any of you people do on your bikes, unless I'm riding with you.

Have you contacted EDR Performance? They build a lot of race motors with good results and longevity. I don't have first hand knowledge.

I've read on a thread here that the stock airbox is a major restriction.

From that same thread:
A superbike race team dropped a stock crossplane engine into their race bike and made 184hp. I think the majority of that gain was the airbox and I'm sure a tune.

It's possible to make good power from it but I do agree that it seems harder to do than with other choices.

I hope you buy the 09+ R1 and find a way to get a lot of power from it. It can only help the community, including racers.

I know of at least one local racer that is switching from the crossplane because he gets pulled on in every straight and it cost too much to get the xplane to that speed. These are comparable riders, at the front of the grid. My point with this is if the community can find ways to make more power out of it, everyone benefits, especially those that race them.

Anyway...

Good luck!

#23 ·
the airbox is only restrictive because of a "funnel" yamaha had to do for emissions. its easy to cut out and open all the way up like the EU models have...but its not going to magically give you a ton of HP.
me and many local friends with the 09 all have basically same mods. slipons y pipe, airbox mod, block offs. some have PCV some have bazaaz. couple friends 1 with bazzaz and 1 with PCV both have custom maps and are at 153. im running a PCV with a base map and am at 150.4 with the same mods and pretty much same temps they were dyno'd in.

there has been threads before about people wanting to build up their bikes...even turbos...and it has been mentioned that the crossplane cannot handle a turbo. now as for porting, polishing, lighter pistons, different compression, custom tinkered ECU ...im sure with ll those things you can get above 170hp. maybe even come real close to 180. but its going to cost some serious money to do it.

#27 ·
OP, you should check your numbers, AMA and BSB teams are barely putting those numbers up on the R1. Let's also remember that this motorcycle is the epitome of linear torque curves, not super high HP.

Yes the UK guys do a ton of work the their bikes, but most of the builds are for track bikes, not street. Anybody will take your money and build whatever you want, but you are not gonna get what you want out of this machine. It is noteable you have done the research on motor builders, but you should redirect your efforts into researching this bike and the reasons why it is such a weapon on the track which is where all your references point to.

#28 · (Edited)
Okay - Tim Radley was kind enough to respond. He immediately voiced the issue of the R1 not being able to compete with some of the other liter bikes in terms of outright power. Here is a direct quote from him:

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:21 AM
To: Richard Washington
Subject: Re: 09+ Yamaha R1

Hi Rich,

Its fairly similar to the aprilia in that it is very low on power compared to other 1000's. You can make them go very well but it is a full engine job. one done they are very fast. You need all these YEC parts :- cams, valve springs, bellmouths, ecu, loom. Also akrapovic full system. Then you need a full superbike spec head. If you don't fit all that they are shit. I run billet cams not the yec ones, they are half the price. I can get some springs at a good price. Bellmouths i need to shop around but i think graves do a nice set. But if you went full yec and proper head you would expect to spend about $10k on all those bits. If i can get some cheap then you could save a few thousand maybe.

Regards

Tim

He then said something I didn't realize about the USA 09+ R1 - the throttle bodies only open to 80% at WOT. He said until that problem is fixed the rest is a waste of time. That can be changed with re-flashing the ECU (as was stated before). He then sad I should look up posts from Diel11 on this forum for more information on making this thing really run hard.

As for the guys who say running the street hard is senseless - you're right, it is. Now, let's get beyond that little sticking point and talk about making this bike stronger. I'm still waiting to hear back from Kevin Stepehenson. Hoping for input tonight.
GSXR

#29 ·
Earlier in this thread I asked had anyone looked into Graves Yamaha "WORKS" parts. They offer cams, HC pistons and a ported head! I have to imagine these are parts based on their research from Josh Hayes' world-beating motorcycle. Any input on that?

For you track guys - could you imagine being at a track like Road America, Barber or Miller Motorsports Park and tearing down that front straight with no worries of that BMW or Kawasaki running you down? Or imgaine yourself being like Ben Spies on that R1 commercial - picking other R1's off as you head into turn one because you're topping out a full 10 mph faster! That would be awesome - the whole time pushing out that sweet, low tone note that the R1 carries.

GSXR

#30 ·
Graves makes great stuff, but in order to buy some "Works" parts you need to be a racer. I'd call them up and see what is available to you. The parts they sell are the same ones on Josh's bike.

The R1 out corners the BMW and Kwak, they will be a few hundred yards behind so no worries.

To me, the motor is the last upgrade done on the bike. First and foremost is the suspension, then brakes, wheels, tires and gearing. Motor is usually last because it has the least amount of impact on lap times. If you're on the track, you spend very little time at full throttle. Without a doubt, it will help, but the dollars to seconds is the worst investment made.

#35 ·
Z064Life said: "you are a street rider...by your own post. What do you care about the front straight"

Hmm - I remember saying I ride mostly street (over 90%) but take in a track day or two each year.

Hey guys, remember playing that game as a kid where you whisper something to the person next to you and they whisper it to the next person in line and so on? Ten people later it's a different statement, right? I used to always wonder what guy in line didn't get it right. Now I have closure.

Anyway - if I'm going to make the bike go faster, naturally I would also like to know how to slow the bike down more effectively. The type of power I want to make is going to require me to have some good stopping power. I've heard that going with steel braided or kevlar brake lines really helps with feel. I also understand that HH sintered pads help decrease braking distance. I really wish I could go with the carbon brakes in MotoGP but let's face it - I'm not going to build this thing to 230+ horsepower so that would be overkill.

Since my time in the 09+ R1 saddle is really limited, how is the stock steering damper? I've heard good things about both GPR and Scotts Damper systems. Is anyone running these on their bikes? Is there a better option that won't require I take out a second mortgage (ohlins)? I would really appreciate the input. Thanks.

GSXR

#38 ·
If you do 1 or 2 track days a year, the stock bike with good track tires is more than enough for what you need. If you're just into "wants", There's a plethora of options out there. As far as dampers go, most here go with Ohlins. My last damper was a GPR V4 but went with the Ohlins this time.

Quit acting like a bitch or your help here will dry up quick. People are trying to show you the light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.