Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 R1 Engine Mods?

27K views 120 replies 22 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 ·
Anybody done any valve, gasket, piston, head work to their 09 R1?

I've got the engine pulled on my 09 so I'm curious to know if anything would be worth doing to it.

ALSO, what electronic mods would you recommend for good power gains? I've already got the Bazzaz Z-Fi w/ Z-AFM.

#65 ·
na, that is still one HP short...:crash

#67 ·
Ahh well then that would explain it then...those pesky hidden power-adders...:hammer:

#95 ·
So 4 years in, countless of motor threads later and there still isn't a basic recepie of what makes these motors make power?

You can use countless of combonations on a GSXR1000 and make great power every time. With this thing it seems the people that get it right don't want to share the info or they want a arm and a leg for the parts.

I want to build a R1 racebike for next year but I'm pretty discouraged right now. I'd love to be able to have one making 180rwhp on some MR12 and I'd be done with it but that sounds like it will require cubic dollars. :(

#96 ·
Not really. Also there is WAY more combo's to have a last gen 09-11 GSXR1000 snap a crank!

The R1 is NOT easy nor cheap to get "big power" but again its HOW it makes power! A 180rwhp R1 will be more than 99% of riders/racers could use... plus (outside the tensioner issue) have been dead reliable.

Personally the MR12 doesnt make more hp than the U4.4 on these engines, maybe others will disagree but even in our full sbk's we dont run MR12.. (some bikes, R6, ZX10R, etc LOVE the stuff thou)

Its not hard, its just $$$ to do right and fact is most dont wanna hear that.

leave the lower end stock.. get compression up, have head done PROPERLY (bout 1 hands worth of fingers on who in US can do this!), add some cams (Graves/Web/Piper/Kent/etc), open up airbox and map with YEC ecu (imo)

Problem is thats $$$$

Head work is $1500-2500
Cams are $1-2000 BUT require YEC springs (another $1,500-2000)
Stacks $1-2000 (graves or MG Comp)
YEC is not cheap ($1300 plus $500+ for PROPERLY TUNED)
Then once you make all this power (180-188) you have to update the radiator/cooling...another $2-3,000...and bodywork to clear/work better with it... another $2000...oh and dont forget you better have GOOD exhaust (Akra or Leo Corsa or Graves) and thats $2-3,000

So honestly its not "hard" but it is $$$$

however i am 99% certain you take an average/majority trackday rider..put him on a nice solid 175rwhp R1 or a 195rwhp BMW and i'd bet $$ that the R1 is not much slower lap time wise if at all...

Just my $0.02 but then again i could be wrong. :vanish

#97 ·
and you can get 180rwhp pretty easy... but again HEAT still an issue.

Do a SS top end type build(up compression, degree cams, GOOD valve job), GOOD full system, VP U4.4, YEC tuned ecu, good oil (Motorex or Motul 5/40) and with good tune should make upper 178 all day long.

#112 ·
F-T is working on developing a Bazzaz delta V style ECU based TC code for at least the 09-11 R1s....dunno about the 07-08 R1s or the R6s....or at least so we have been told...

#114 ·
:fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.