Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 R1 Engine Mods?

27K views 120 replies 22 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 ·
Anybody done any valve, gasket, piston, head work to their 09 R1?

I've got the engine pulled on my 09 so I'm curious to know if anything would be worth doing to it.

ALSO, what electronic mods would you recommend for good power gains? I've already got the Bazzaz Z-Fi w/ Z-AFM.

#4 ·
Read the Flash-Tune FAQ for info on what you can do with it.

#7 ·
Yea 195 to the ground for 5k....not too shabby.

#8 ·
I'd like to see the longevity of the kit. I'd hate to be rebuilding the head all the time. 185whp for 2500$ is pretty sweet. Add in the cost of the bigger radiator and new exhaust you'll need to keep that thing cool and you are right around 5500$

#13 ·
That is also a good point. In AMA don't they have to retain the stock compression ratio? Compression ratio is really where you make power. If you don't have to deal with a rule book, and scrifice some reliability and dont mind using hot race gas, then it mainly comes down to what you want to spend to a certain limit before you need forced induction, and there is no way that limit is 185HP in my mind.

#15 ·
Using CR's build isn't a good example, for obvious reasons when you read the build thread. He's operating on very, very limited tuning/builder resources. There's another member in that thread putting down 180, don't know how much money he has in the build.

#16 · (Edited)
Chris, all I am saying that saying well they don't make that kind of hp in AMA, BSB, WSB, ect, has no relevance because they all have specific rules for what you can do to the engine. Heck, are you saying that an MotoGP M1 only makes 185 to the ground? I think not. When money and rules do not apply, I think it is unfair to just say that it can't be done, or saying well if you build it to X spec then you cant make that much is not fair either because the OP or the engine builder that was fist linked claimed no spec either...

BTW, if a dyno is calibrated to measure SAE HP, it had better read the same numbers, and I highly doubt that DynoJet, for example, would produce high variable instruments. As someone who does measurement science, I will be very skeptical of an argument that they all happen to wrong in the same direction by chance...

#21 ·
I don't listen to dyno numbers because every area is different, but I would love to see a nice 30whp gain from my bike if I got super serious into racing.

As she sits, with not a lot of mods, she's around 147rwhp. JeffD had his bike Dyno'd the same time, right before mine, and his bike Dyno'd at 2 rwhp more. We both have very similar mods, ecu flashed, filter. He has a graves low mount system to my leo Vince 3/4 system with stock header. The only other difference is that he has a bazzaz with auto-tune and I have no fuel controller. Also I have almost 10k more miles than him.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with the performance of the crossplane motor.

Note* I'll never buy an autotuner, our a/f ratios were almost identical. The autotuner seemed to do very little to nothing to actually smooth out the a/f. I'm convinced it's worthless

#24 ·
:hammer:

Hopefully a y-pipe is on your list for your bike....:crash...Then send me your ECU, and your bike can not make 165 to the ground....:crash...:hammer:

#25 ·
Who said anything about my bike? :vanish I spend other peoples money :fact I'm more than humbled with my stock bike and noob abilities going faster than most of the people on the track that I've come across. Leaves more money for gas, tires, oil and track days :jump

#26 ·
I am just saying spend other people's money on your bike...:hammer:

#35 ·
Here's a message I had from Skip:

GRAVESPORT.com said:
thats a pretty good deal on the parts. i'm not exactly sure how much the cost is till i get to my computer at work on monday. i will tell you this. NO BULLSHIT! on the best day....the BEST DAY, josh hayes superbike had hp # in the high 170s. i know how much r and d is put into that motor. so...when people start talking out of their asses about hp #s, it bothers me a little bit. i was only able to get just over 170hp w/ all the shit i had done to mine. let me know if i can help you in the future. i won't feed you any bullshit. there's a formula to make the r1 fast. people can chase it....we, at graves, know it. it's crazy to me that people won't just believe me. results speak for themselves!

#38 ·
Again, within the AMA spec....

#50 ·
CRT Teams don't get parts handed to them from the factories. They buy their engines and build their own frames. Satellite teams lease their bikes and spares from the factories. However, if you do have enough money you can start your own team. Just ask Karel Abraham and his billionaire father. Good luck. :thumbup

#52 · (Edited)
Yea they hand you an engine when you PAY for it.....lots of the money for said CRT team would go to the engine...an unreasonable amount even....:dunno

#53 ·
Yay...this thread is fun...BTW...I am only having fun debating here...devils advocat so to speak...

#55 ·
:hammer:

#56 ·
Burn-z please understand that this is in good fun...sometimes I am unsure that you take it that way...:dunno

#59 ·
:meh...and PJ, 550 for what?..oh wait thats not a smiley...

#63 ·
:dunno...It is all in application...:hammer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.