Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Fried my ecu after bazzaz install

16K views 119 replies 11 participants last post by  09R-1 
#1 ·
So ive had my flashed ecu for 2 years with no problems. After i installed my bazzaz Zfitc the bike ran for about 5 mins then shut off. I tripple checked everything and it was good but still wouldnt start. I took the bazzaz off the bike and brought it back to stock connections and still wouldnt start. Error code 40 meaning secondary fuel injectors. The bike is getting spark because it was running when id spary gas down the throttle bodies, its just not getting fuel. I took my ecu off and put it on a friends stock 09 r1 and his bike threw a code 40 and wouldnt start, could this be the pins in the harness not switched? (with the ecunleashed you need to swap 4 pins in the main harness plug). Im going to send my ecu back to jett on monday and see what they say. I just dont understand how installing a bazzaz could fry my ecu, i did buy it used from edr so it may have a broken wire somewhere but still shouldnt this blow a fuse before the ecu? Anyone with any info would be great. Round 1 of racing is on the 26th of may so i need to sort this out asap

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#4 ·
Yes the ecu was fried, the bazzaz had nothing to do with it. the reason for the pin swap is usa bikes have a slightly different pin configuration in the main harness because of imobilezers so by switching the pins on my canada/euro bike it makes it the same as a usa bike

#6 ·
Coincidence, ive heard yamaha ecu's are famous for shlting the bed out of no where. I picked up another ecu and put the bazzaz on and it all work fine. Getting a dyno tune as we speak
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Car
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car Engine

#9 ·
update... just fried another ecu!!! god damn race weekend coming up.. i must have a bigger problem

#10 · (Edited)
That is horrible news Shane :( I have another customer with Bazzaz and flashed ECU and when running it on the dyno it threw the check engine light and running on 3 cylinders. When he turned it off now it won't start, code 39. We removed bazzez, reflashed, everything, no go :(

Is it bazzaz that's cooking these ECU's?!?!

-Jamie M.

#11 ·
I don't see any issues with stock bikes and ECU's. They don't break, probably the most reliable part on the bike.

But I see TONS of issues with bad flashes, incorrectly installed PC & Bazzaz units, and other wiring mistakes.

The ECU controls everything on the ground side of the load, when the load gets shorted or bypassed (like swapping the wires) it destroys the transistor inside the ECU. Instant bad ECU. And yes it will destroy another, and another.....

#12 ·
I taked to bazzaz and they said "the bazzaz unit only receives signals from the ecu, then adjustments are made. It dose not send anything back to the ecu, therefore it cannot be the bazzaz causing the problem" but they said they would check my bazzaz for free. I triple checked my connection and everything is done right so i have no idea why this keeps happening

#14 ·
I taked to bazzaz and they said "the bazzaz unit only receives signals from the ecu, then adjustments are made. It dose not send anything back to the ecu, therefore it cannot be the bazzaz causing the problem" but they said they would check my bazzaz for free. I triple checked my connection and everything is done right so i have no idea why this keeps happening
Shane. I found out something crazy today re: code 39. It's a trip code, meaning once it's been set in the ECU 5 times in a row, it can not be cleared and the ECU disables the fuel injectors (usually on two of the four cylinders). Try twisting the throttle on your bike when starting it, see if you can get it to cough to life.

I have some new software from flash-tune that's supposed to be able to reset the ECU and clear the code, I'm trying it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

You have your old "bricked" ECU still?

-Jamie M.

#13 ·
Another thing i cant figure out is why my tc is not working. I had a dyno tune and am getting proper tps, rpm and gear/speed plus my quick shifter works so its not the coil harness. Had tc turned up all the way and still sliding the rear :s

#15 ·
I have 2 ecu's both throw code 40 one is an eculeashed the other is an edr flash

#16 ·
Apparently code 40 is an open secondary injector circut. Which is odd because the bike will run off the primarys, the secondarys only cut in above 10000rpm or something. But the bike wont start unless i spary gas in the vstacks, obv my primarys are the problem

#20 ·
When i try to go into diag mode it wont let me. I get an error 4 on the cluster

#21 ·
You need to find what "fried" the ECU. An injector that has a damaged primary winding will still operate (with a good ECU), but can allow to much current, which can over heat the transistor in the ECU. If the injecotor and wiring is ok, then that leaves the bazazz as the culprit, irregradless of what they say. But they have always done an excellant job of supporting their product.

Normal resistance is around 12-14 ohm's if I recall.

To get the Code 40 clear use D63.

This may help

#24 ·
Make sure your battery is fully charged first. Then check all the wires, connectors, and fuses. Error 4 mean that the gauges can not communicate with the ECU. Earlier you had a error code, which meant the ECU was communicating with the gauge. When does the Err4 pop up?

#25 ·
Error 4 only pops up when i hold the select and reset button for 3 seconds then turn the ignition on. Usually this takes you into setting and what not but i get error 4 then when i take my fingers off yhe buttons it goes away. And reads code 40. My battery did go dead over winter and i charged it but i can say it hasnt Been the strongest. Kinda turns over slow when the big is hot

#29 ·
If your bike is Canadian and you have a US Flash on it you need to unplug the Immoboliser and leave it unplugged to get into Diagnostic otherwise it will not let you enter in and you will get these Error Codes.

#26 ·
Even when the bike was running i had a code 66 for the steering damper and i tried to get into the setting to change when my shift light comes on but i got the same thing. Error 4 and it wouldnt go into the settings. The bike was running perfect at that time making 168hp on u4.4

#28 · (Edited)
Toysareforboys is right the ECUs are not fried. Apparently what is happening is that you are getting the Code 39 or 40 for whatever reason and after attempting to restart the bike more than 5 times the Code gets embedded into the ECU and can no longer be erased unless you totally reformat the ECU and Reflash it just like a computers Hard Drive when you have a virus, you need to reformat it to wipe out everything and then reinstall the software.

I had a hell of a time figuring this out yesterday when working on a bike that a local shop messed up.

#31 ·
My friend up here has the flash tune interface. Is that what i need to fix this jamie? Ill send you my ecus but if he can fix it with his flash tune then i could race this weekend.

#32 ·
There is a fix that the software has that your friend most likely doesn't have. It's not just a simple Reflash you have to Reflash it with this fix then Reflash it with one of the maps in the software.

#33 ·
#36 ·
Thanks man. Hopefully him and i can work something out, my patents traveled halfway across canada to watch me this weekend.. Just my luck

#39 ·
well guys, bad news.. it did not work for me. i flashed both ecu's with the blank file the unplugged and flashed with a flashtune file. got home put each one in the bike, same damn thing code 40 wont start.. my ecu's must be fried

#44 ·
I took the bazzaz fully off the bike (sending it back to have it tested) i did not change my pins, it was left the way it was from the ecunleashed (cant see this doing anything other then making the bike run like shit, jett tuning quote) i did not check to see if injectors were clicking 5 times but i was able to get into diag mode. Basicaly i took the bazzaz off threw the ecu in and tried to start it 2 times with both ecu's. but im going to do the flash process again on friday and ill change my pins back to canada/euro spec. How do i check the injectors with diag mode?

And jamie if i dont get it working im going to send you my ecu's and see if you can figure it out, if you cant do it i plan on turning trick on the cornor and saving for a 2012 yec ecu/harness with all the shit for factory tc and ditching the bazzaz

#45 ·
How do i check the injectors with diag mode?
Once you are in diag mode, hit select until you get to D:36, the injector should click 5 times. If it doesn't toggle the kill switch and it should click 5 times. Hit select and go to D:37, same test, do it all the way up to D:43. If any don't click you can swap around the injectors to make sure it's not the injectors, and that'll tell ya if it's the harness/wiring or ECU as well.

-Jamie M.

#46 ·
Ok it goes into diag mode but this is all i get Speedometer Gauge Auto part Tachometer Measuring instrument

I press the select button and nothing happens, nothing with the reset button either
If i try to start the bike i get this Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Gauge Tachometer

If i dont go into diag mode i get the number 40 and no start

Attachments

#47 ·
Ok it goes into diag mode but this is all i get
When you get the DIAG to show up on the screen, hold both the select and rest buttons again for another few seconds and it should go to D:01 (TPS test). Twist the throttle, numbers should move. Then you can hit select to get to the different tests.

Your immobilizer is unplugged from under the front of the airbox right?

-Jamie M.

#48 ·
So your problem may be this:

- Did you unplug the Immoboliser?
- The ECUnleashed and Flash Tune require different wires to be switched. Flash Tune has 12 wires that need to be switched and ECUnleashed has 10 wires.
- Is your friend using Version 2 of the Flash Tune software? It's the newest version that just came out

Try all this and the stuff I wrote above and let me know what happens.

Jamie send him the Colour Coded wiring diagram for Flash Tune US Spec so he can check this.

#49 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.