Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 R1 motor problem?

25K views 158 replies 16 participants last post by  NoxImus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 2009 r1 with about 9500 miles on it. Oil was changed about 2000 miles ago and is 20-50 yamalube. No real big prior problems. I was recently riding with a friend on some back road twisties when we both heard a strange clacking noise. My engine started loosing power, and died. When I restarted the bike I heard a loud clacking noise (which sounded like it came from the the cam chain) and sounded like a piston wasn't firing. I was able to get a friend to bring it to my house and I disassembled it to check spark plugs and compression. It seems the 4th cylinder had sub par compression. I will be doing a Leak down test tomorrow. Bike had updated Yamaha CCT, and no weird noises, this just randomly happened. Any ideas of why? Any thing else I should check?

#47 ·
Sharans methods are best at times of crisis u make leverage with a thick flat head and hammer one time hard jajaj comes off but dont do this.. mean while grab each piston by the rod and see wich one has play or jiggle and if its alot or a little

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
To seperate the crancases you have to loosen the three torx screw on stator wire spool and take off the flywheel. The stator spool is holding the two crancases together.

#49 · (Edited)
Yup but to pull the fly wheel hammer works pretty good nice thick thick hammer thing and one good hit while leverage with a flat head I dont dare to do it but my friend here has really good practice

Ai Ai - I wouldn't dare doing that myself:)
The flywheel has a lot of rotating mass. By using a hammer and a flat head there is a risk of messing up the balance, and that may result in a lot of ass shaking:)

Edit:
CR2011R1: Maybe you should urge your friend to make a short video on hammer & flat head trick and post it her?
Sometimes it's hard to get hold on a flywheel puller.

#51 ·
He hammers it where you bolt it into the crank u should see it first time 8 saw I was like this guy is crazy but he made it look very simple

Urge your friend to make a short video on hammer & flat head trick and post it her.
It would be useful, sometimes it's hard to get hold on a flywheel puller.

#52 ·
So maybe I'm having a dumbass moment, but how does one get off the stator with the engine off? I already have a 5 Ton flywheel puller but I can't get the stupid bolt off the flywheel itself. It ends up just turning the cam chain sprocket off.

What's the easiest way to hold the flywheel so I can remove the stupid bolt?

#53 ·
So maybe I'm having a dumbass moment, but how does one get off the stator with the engine off? I already have a 5 Ton flywheel puller but I can't get the stupid bolt off the flywheel itself. It ends up just turning the cam chain sprocket off.

What's the easiest way to hold the flywheel so I can remove the stupid bolt?
Don't worry, we have all had this feeling :)

You have many tool options:
Flywheel holder:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pit-Posse-U...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eca124217&vxp=mtr

Air Gun:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campbell-Ha...-lbs-Torque-Automotive-TL050289-/310742330244

Even one side of the clutch tool will work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Clutch..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item43bf702d9d&vxp=mtr

#57 ·
I leave for Hawaii tomorrow so I'm trying to get this thing apart before I go so I can start ordering parts.

I just managed to get the bolt off the stator cover. A buddy had a clutch removal tool. Trying to find a m18 bolt is hard locally and the 5 ton crank puller I had wont fit in the holes.

#58 ·
I leave for Hawaii tomorrow so I'm trying to get this thing apart before I go so I can start ordering parts.

I just managed to get the bolt off the stator cover. A buddy had a clutch removal tool. Trying to find a m18 bolt is hard locally and the 5 ton crank puller I had wont fit in the holes.
Send CR2011R1 an email and ask him to explain the hammer trick.
He posted his email address in one of his postings.

#64 · (Edited)
Yes, the crank itself has that finish.
Your rod is f**ked and so is the crank.... :(
Is it just one of the journals that are like the one of the Picture?

The picture of cyl#4 did not get uploaded, please try again.

CR2011R1 mentioned that he had a used crank, get in touch with him!

How is the balancer shaft and the bearings?

You are up late...? :)

#65 ·
It was a video of the bearings. The crankshaft actually looks okay...bearings are absolutely destroyed though and so is the rod. The other pistons seemed fine and had no play. I don't have time to do a systematic check, I just wanted to see the main bastard responsible.

I really wanted to split the case so here I am up at 3 am leaving in 4 hours to get on a plane, lol.

#67 · (Edited)
It was a video of the bearings. The crankshaft actually looks okay...bearings are absolutely destroyed though and so is the rod. The other pistons seemed fine and had no play. I don't have time to do a systematic check, I just wanted to see the main bastard responsible.

I really wanted to split the case so here I am up at 3 am leaving in 4 hours to get on a plane, lol.
LoL - just leave straight to the airport :)

I think the main responsible is the CCT and not the crank! The pieces that has went into the crank bearings are from somewhere else - most likely from the CCT/cam chain guidance.

#73 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry for the long wait! Haven't had time to mess with this, but I took some pictures of the crankshaft. It's a goner...Piston rods look pretty scorched also

I don't know if you can see but they are very dark/blue-ish. Probably from the friction of the bearings failing.
(from left to right 4321)

Crankshaft.
4:

3:

2:

1:

#77 ·
None of the pistons look that bad. There is one tiny scratch, but it doesn't look like anything major, i can barely pick it up with my camera.

3:

1:

I don't see any fibers, but the they're pretty scorched also. Previous owner did ride it like a bat out of hell.

#78 · (Edited)
Thats your responsible for the engine damage YOUR CLUTCH woww.. just like all the ones that came in with your problem... u can tell they 1/4 miled the shit out of that bike... or some one learned to ride on that bike... ok next up take apart the oil pump is the turbo looking thing inside you will fine a cylinder shaped in a 3 way star.. the cylinder should be chrome take pictures of the cylinder all around and also the housing where it sit and where it spins... p.s see how your fibers are dark brown some burnt the shit out it throwing fiber particles to your oil then your rods... I also want to see the oil pump to see.. here ive seen the clutch like that but the oil pump perfect... but that was the oil pump put in my bike wich screw my engine up so let see how ur look.. u will need to replace.. but id say just buy a whole used engine.. I was going to build me a new bike so I have a complete engine only missing the head ill think about if I want to sell that will be cheap

#86 ·
Almost got her assembled but having some wireing problems. Being going through the service manual trying to figure it out.

These are labeled "a" and "b" where do they go? They both fit into that same port?

These two are on the right side of the engine. Cannot figure them out either...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.